Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #1

Coach "Hunts"

OK, so we're on our first big trip - Oregon to Pennsylvania & return. I've discovered a disturbing thing - at speed (60-65 mph) the coach (a '95 Dolphin 34D) hunts, for want of a better word. It's apparent at all speeds but most signifigant as speeds rise. It's got new tires, correct axle loading (a bit light, really), & good shocks. Any suggestions as to a cure? I've seen ads for some kind of spring things that bolt onto the axle, but don't know... Thanks for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2015, 11:04 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I think you are describing the coach is wandering around in the lane? If so adding a steering stabilizer, such as Safe T Plus or Steer Safe should help. I don't like to "Fight" the road, so I have installed a Safe T Plus unit along with front and rear anti-sway bars.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A lot of people try to tightly control the path of the rig and end up overcorrecting. Learned that from a FL support person. He suggested putting both elbows on the seat arms and steering with my wrists plus looking further down the road. Learn to gently correct the course (like you do with a boat) rather than over control it. Worked for me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:42 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Since you say you are light is that a guess or have you weighed the rig? All the "stuff " we like to carry adds up fast.
If you have weight than go to your tire manufacturer website and see what pressure you should be running on each axle.
Either over under inflation can contribute to the problem.
Also as noted above relax your grip and don't over correct.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with the suggestion about learning to relax while you're driving. I drive a 40' Thomas school bus at work and it goes right down the highway with very little correction. My Tradewinds has air suspension and feels a whole lot different and for a VERY long time, I tended to tighten up and oversteer it. Yes, put the arm rests down. move the seat forward till your legs and arms aren't extended uncomfortably and drive relaxed.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
have you checked your alignment? Go to the best alignment shop you can find (not just any alignment shop), tell him what you problem is.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #7

I'm assuming your talking about a " wandering " condition.
You said new tires ; did you get your axle weights and set tire pressures according to manufacturers inflation charts?
Some tire stores inflate coach tire pressure to the max on the sidewall , which could be way overinflated if your axle weight is low compared to the tire rating.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #8

OK, just to bring you all up to date - Les Schwab (never again!) mounted 6 new tires & marked invoice "inflated to 80 psi". Didn't check, trusted them. Checked this AM before we left - all 6 were between 85-100#! Dropped the pressure to 80 on the rears & 75 on the fronts & a world of difference. Much easier to drive now. Tanks for all your advice!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #9

That could be your problem, tire pressure. I've always inflated my tires, and most manufacturers agree, to 100 lb. If your tires are 80-100 lb thats a problem, they should all be the same, with the exception that some manufacturers recommend 110 lb on the steering tires. Under inflated tires can definitely cause wander not to mention premature tire wear and poor fuel economy.
sudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:23 AM   #10

The reduction in tire pressure made all the difference. I don't know about "most manufacturers", but it's important to check the max pressure on the sidewalls. Mine are marked "80 psi max" so that's what I'm working with. Thanks for all the advise!