Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Code reader

99 Tropical, Ford V10 F53 chasis. Where is the location of the code reader slot? Guess I'm dumb... can't find it anywhere.
TireKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Look under the dash, just to the right of the steering column. It might have a cap on it, but it is reported to be a standard OBDII connector.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes the Steering column has a "Wrap" around it, you might find it inside the wrap..> When I get my Chevy back on the road.. There will be a nifty little Blue Tooth device plugged in, it chats with assorted other blue tooth devices (Laptop, phone, tablet) and tattles on the engine rather nicely (current it's in my towed)..
Old 12-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks Bob. I'm going to remove the cover from the steering column today and see if I can find it there. My code reader should be here from Amazon today... We're camping in Murrell's Inlet, SC at Huntington Beach State Park. Leaving Sunday for the trip back home to Lake Wales, FL. Want to satisfy this "Service Engine Soon" before the 560 mile trip home.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #5

Hello Tirekicker, I too had to ask to find my OBDII connection. Also had the SES light. P0401 code EGR insufficient flow. Cleaned EGR, cleaned intake holes, replaced DPFE sensor and EGR solenoid. Checked all vacuum lines. Still have SES light. Hope you are more successful than me and you share your trick.
In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
The OBD Connector is really hard to get to. it is on the steering column on my 1999 Dolphin, Ford.
I also had the same SES codes and it was the egr. I replaced the egr and still had the SES. Then I replaced the Electronic part of the EGR and that did away with my SES.

Good luck and good luck locating the plug. Mine did have a cap on it.
yn1bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a hard time finding it on my 2001 Ford chassis. Had to remove a shroud under the steering column to find it. Once found connection/disconnection could be done without removing the shroud.

It can be wrapped into a wiring bundle. It could have a cap making it harder to recognize.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks all for your input. I finally removed the cosmetic cover at the base of the steering column and dashboard. Voila! The connector was very well hidden and would not have been accessible without removing the cover. We're now in Brunswick, GA on the way back home to Lake Wales, FL. SES light is still on, but I have not tried to do something with it yet. This was our initial shake down cruz in our "new to us " 1999 Tropi-cal. So we only have one error code... the P0401. So in the next couple days I'll try to chase down the "EGR" issues... As I understand one must also clear the code after the repair is done. Anyone with additional insight into this I'd love to hear from you. Further, I must replace a defective board on our Atwood Water Heater too. LOL. We have a short list of repairs to make prior to our next outing. Thanks again everyone. I cannot tell you how helpful IRV2 has been... Wouldn't RV without it.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're using a Bluetooth or Wifi code reader, make sure the plug is dead with the ignition off. In my autos, the plug stays live so if I were to leave it plugged in, it would run the battery down.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote