Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Confused, as usual

I'm new to the motor coach scene, so I'm picking up info add we go.

I understand that if the rv has 2 roof a/c units, it's generally a 50A setup.
Our 97 dolphin has 2 roof units, but the wired in cord has a 30A plug?

Usual, unusual, or aberrant?
Bottombare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottombare View Post
I'm new to the motor coach scene, so I'm picking up info add we go.

I understand that if the rv has 2 roof a/c units, it's generally a 50A setup.
Our 97 dolphin has 2 roof units, but the wired in cord has a 30A plug?

Usual, unusual, or aberrant?
I found a brochure for your coach. It states there is an "Intellitec" system that runs two A/Cs on 30 amps. I would assume then that your coach is OEM 30 amp.

https://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-cont...inBrochure.pdf
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my previous 97 Holiday Rambler, it was set up with a switch to use one or the other. I rewired it to have an extra cord go to the 20A outlet in the box so I could run both.
You could check out the new easy start systems on this website. They let the compressor start without the big surge in amps, so you could run 2 acs on 30A
Old 10-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
On my previous 97 Holiday Rambler, it was set up with a switch to use one or the other. I rewired it to have an extra cord go to the 20A outlet in the box so I could run both.
You could check out the new easy start systems on this website. They let the compressor start without the big surge in amps, so you could run 2 acs on 30A
Just as an "aside", there are campgrounds where you're not supposed to run more than 1 cord to the power pedestal. I'm in one of those campgrounds now and going to another with the same "rule" Tuesday. I have no idea if they ever enforce their rule.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:55 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I have a 1998 Sea Breeze that has 2 AC units and is 30amp. I preplaced both my Dometic Brisk Air with new Brisk Air II Evolution units recently when replacing the roof membrane. I also installed soft starts. I can run both AC units at the same time now drawing around 25-27 amps but can not run anything else except the converter/charger. Your Dolphin is most likely 30amp.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:06 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We also have a 97 Dolphin with 2 roof A/C units. The coach is 30 amps with an intellitec system. We can run both A/C units if nothing else is pulling a significant load. The intellitce system will start shutting down circuits when you start pulling to many amps including one of the a/c units if required.
Dolphon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Varied w/ GEN size/ RV MFR, but 2nd air Option was 5500W GEN which had a 30a and separate 20a Circuit Breakers; for Shore line use, the 20a had a separate Transfer Switch and 20a cord that ONLY fed the 2nd Air Unit; you ONLY plugged in the 30a& 20a if shoreline available and 2nd unit needed? Have read that MANY CG did not have 50a... that is "newer" in life of RV camping? There may even be a 30/20/50 Dogbone, so that both would Now plug to a 50a?
Old 11-02-2021, 08:52 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
rE: INTELLITEC models, (I can only assume that vintage), OPTION might have run 1-unit until satisfied, THEN after unit-1 shut off, then start Unit-2 if needed; (or) could use a timer, 10 or 30-minutes each unit, rotating back/ forth, as needed? There maybe other options in sequence, but not sure if EASY START was even an option in those days?
Old 11-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #9

I have 2000 southwind.. 30amp 2 roof a/c 5500 watt gen... intellitec system.. the norm..
But what I would like to know.. when is last time you flushed brakes ??
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 11-03-2021, 01:23 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
My unit had two a/c units from the factory it I originally had a intelitic unit installed. The previous owner removed the intellitec unit and installed a heavy duty extension cord to the wiring for the second unit. Also the 110 plugs in the bedroom are also plugged into that circuit. I have rewired the unit with a 50 amp service. And upgraded my distribution panel to 50 amp. It was a project well worth the time and money.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
That is normaly not a good idea. Most of the time the post is wired with the guage of the highest amp out breaker, not the sum of all the breakers. So if the highest breaker is 30 amps they ran 10 guage wire to the post. So if you run off the 30 amp and 20 amp and you max out your amps you could be melting the insulation under ground.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
That is normaly not a good idea. Most of the time the post is wired with the guage of the highest amp out breaker, not the sum of all the breakers. So if the highest breaker is 30 amps they ran 10 guage wire to the post. So if you run off the 30 amp and 20 amp and you max out your amps you could be melting the insulation under ground.
How can that happen ?

Do you think they ran 10 gauge wire from a breaker that would allow that ?

Where do you camp where MOST of the wiring is built below electrical code, I won't go there.

If the power post has a 20 and a 30 amp outlet, it's wired for it. It more likely that it's feed with a 100+ amp circuit and daisy chained to other power posts. Who would run 10 gauge cable to each post.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse

« Awning Motor | Help »