Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #1

We recently starting looking at RVs...considering purchasing our first. We are definately rookies and don't know what we are doing.

We recently found a used 2000 Dolphin in excellant...I truly mean immaculate condition. It has 32000 miles They are asking $35K for it.

My question is....is that a good price? Should I worry that the company being out of business? Can you give me tips on what I should check on before we purchase?

Thanks for your help!

J & K Baines
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #2

We recently starting looking at RVs...considering purchasing our first. We are definately rookies and don't know what we are doing.

We recently found a used 2000 Dolphin in excellant...I truly mean immaculate condition. It has 32000 miles They are asking $35K for it.

My question is....is that a good price? Should I worry that the company being out of business? Can you give me tips on what I should check on before we purchase?

Thanks for your help!

J & K Baines
Old 09-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #3

It depends if it has any slides motorhome without slides are a hard sell.But at that price and cond with 32000 miles sounds like a decent price to me. i have seen class c's for more than that.But do your homework!Get it checked out by a qualifed mechanic and try to talk to the original owner.Good luck hope it works out for you.
wglassjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello and welcome. I'm not sure you've given enough info to make a real determination. What kind of options? How's the fiberglass look? Do the previous owners have records to show? How are the tires and other wear items? Got any pictures to share? Oil leaks? Genset work? Does the refer work on both AC and propane? Furnaces produce hot air? Hows the carpet? Counter tops look nice. Not to go on but there's a lot to look at before you throw any money on the table. Do you know someone that can help you check it out?
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
What's your location? Maybe someone could go with you to help you look it over.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:00 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies...it makes me realize how much I do not know about RVs. It would be wonderful to find a local person that I can contact to ask questions and maybe look at it.

Here is the link for it on the internet...with specs and pictures.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 09-14-2008, 05:01 AM   #7

Forgot the link in last thread...

http://hannasales.com/

Look under Motorhomes and you will see the 2000 National Dolphin if you scroll down
Old 09-14-2008, 06:30 AM   #8

Looks pretty clean to me and price seems in the range. It does have the slide so that helps, but even with low miles it is 8+ years old (chassis is likely a '99 model year) and systems on coaches wear even in storage. Another note for a new person, tires will need replacing long before tread is gone. 5-7 years is usually max, ask how old they are. I wouldn't worry about National being gone, there is no warranty anyway and parts are plentiful for all of the systems on the coach. A Ford chassis like this would benefit from a Banks system also if you're inclined to tow or need power for hills--another few thousand bucks aftermarket.

Goes without saying this is not a 'hot' time for coach sales. Hit them at $28k and see what happens. Cash talks.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up with.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
TN is a litle far from me but, maybe someone else is willing to help you out?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 AM   #10

tps0424, I am looking into the possibility of hooking you up with an IRV2 member in your area. We have a very large membership, lets see what is available. Stay tuned.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:46 AM   #11

I'm not tps0424...I'm J& K Baines. My location is Nashville, TN. Thank you so much for looking for someone to help us.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #12

Hey, that's ok, I'll help you anyway. Adding a shortcut to IRV2 General Discussion to give you better exposure.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Bill... I didn't mean to confuse you. I was just saying that if J&K weren't so far away, I'd be willing to go take a look at the RV under consideration. Hopefully, someone else is closer to Nashville than I am!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J & K Baines:
J & K Baines </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're new to RVing, have you thought about renting a rig for a few days to see what it's all about and see what works for you in a floorplan and what doesn't?

As to the one you're serious about, spend all the time you can in and around it, visualizing how you would be doing things: cooking, relaxing, using the facilities. Stand in the shower. Is it big enough? Sit on the toilet. Is there enough room around you for whatever? You get the idea. Good luck in your hunt!