Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Converter, inverter and confusion

I have an 02 dolphin which was sold new with a converter, but somewhere before me it acquired a Xantrex Freedom Combi Inverter/Charger. I am currently in Quartzite and realized the inverter was powering the converter’s 120v AC connection, which seems like a useless draw so I have unplugged it.

Do I even need the converter when the Xantrex unit charges the batteries when I am running the genny and when I have shore power? Is it serving any other purpose?

Been living in this since March but usually on the pole so an extended stay in Quartzite is bringing up some new issues!

Thanks
Dave
TaterTot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterTot View Post
I have an 02 dolphin which was sold new with a converter, but somewhere before me it acquired a Xantrex Freedom Combi Inverter/Charger. I am currently in Quartzite and realized the inverter was powering the converter’s 120v AC connection, which seems like a useless draw so I have unplugged it.

Do I even need the converter when the Xantrex unit charges the batteries when I am running the genny and when I have shore power? Is it serving any other purpose?

Been living in this since March but usually on the pole so an extended stay in Quartzite is bringing up some new issues!

Thanks
Dave
With the Inverter/charger which I also use, you should not need the converter but that means you will always be drawing from the batteries. The converter saves the batteries by generating your 12v instead of pulling from the batteries. It is a waste to power the converter from the inverter if you are running off the batteries. Hope I explained it and not confused you.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My thoughts exactly, on the pole that is fine, but boon docking it’s a drain! Even on the pole it seems redundant and the charger is maintaining the batteries and certainly keeps ahead of 12V usage like lights and such.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
My thoughts exactly, on the pole that is fine, but boon docking it’s a drain! Even on the pole it seems redundant and the charger is maintaining the batteries and certainly keeps ahead of 12V usage like lights and such.
Remember when running off the batteries to be sure the fridge is on propane and the water heater is on propane only.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
With the Inverter/charger which I also use, you should not need the converter but that means you will always be drawing from the batteries. The converter saves the batteries by generating your 12v instead of pulling from the batteries. It is a waste to power the converter from the inverter if you are running off the batteries. Hope I explained it and not confused you.
The Inverter/Charger also supplies power to the RV the same as a Converter does. It makes no difference in regard to charging/discharging the batteries.

Unplug the converter and forgetaboutit. IF you have an problem with the Inverter/charger you can plug the Converter back in as a replacement.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
Remember when running off the batteries to be sure the fridge is on propane and the water heater is on propane only.

I’ve already made that mistake and I try not to do the same stupid thing 3 times....thanks!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Agree the inverter/charger is an inverter/converter, there is no reason for the old converter.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave. We recently purchased a 2007 Sea Breeze LX 8341. No manuals included. Question for you. Should the Xantrex be left on or off?
OhioBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:48 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep mine off and only turn it on as needed.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:01 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBrutus View Post
Hi Dave. We recently purchased a 2007 Sea Breeze LX 8341. No manuals included. Question for you. Should the Xantrex be left on or off?

I don’t know that it has a power button, it’s always attached to the batteries or shore power. I leave the charger on all the time and the inverter only on when I need it. My power share is set to 15amp
Old 11-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on the converter believe it or not.
Damon put a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard plug in model in my RV.. Now I'm still looking for a better converter.

The charger module in my Prosine (Xantrex) is good. but I like the 9180 better.. So I disabled the charger in the Prosine and use only the 9180 Batteries lasted 9 years.

BUT.. being a plug in model occasionally the dang thing comes unpluged.. In which case I usually figure it out long about 3 am.. No way am I going out and pluging it back in at 3am so I flip the switch on the Xantrex.

But that's my setup... Decide if you want to use the OEM converter or the Xantrex charger module.. or do as I do, use the OEM with the INverter as a back up.

But keep the OEM, because... Well just now my Prosine is not feeling well (not working).

One last item. IF the wiring is such that the converter is powered by the Inverter.. Fix that. that is not proper.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 2007 SEABREEZE has a remote inverter switch OFF/INVERT
Old 11-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #13

When should the Xantrex be on or off?? Mine was on when I bought my RV 6 years ago and I have never turned it off. It is connected to shore power when not on the road. We just changed the house batteries for the 2nd time and want to extend the life if possible.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Should only be on when you want to make 120 volt AC from your 12 volt DC batteries.

Tags
converter, inverter