Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #1

Crack growing in siding.

We have a crack growing from the corner of a window. I'm not sure if it is only in the gel coat or all the way through. I think since it continues to grow that it goes all the way through. I drilled a 1/4 inch dia. hole at the end but it did not stop the growth. Anyone have any thoughts of next step? I also need to replace the acrylic grab handle at the entrace to our mh. Does anyone know where to get a relacement acrylic piece. Thanks Tom
irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can you post a picture of your crack location so we have a view of what your talking about?
Here is a thread on the handle with links and discussion.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Stop drilling should stop it, however if it did not I would suspect that there was a hairline crack beyound the spot where you drilled the hole. Not to be insulting here , just a bit of information from a mechanic who also has extensive aircraft sheetmetal experience. The stop drill hole should not contact the crack, but rather be about 1/8" past the crack. This insures that the drill bit does not catch on the material & start to extend the crack. Fill the stopdrilled hole & crack with silicone sealant.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
We have a crack growing from the corner of a window. I'm not sure if it is only in the gel coat or all the way through. I think since it continues to grow that it goes all the way through. I drilled a 1/4 inch dia. hole at the end but it did not stop the growth. Anyone have any thoughts of next step? I also need to replace the acrylic grab handle at the entrace to our mh. Does anyone know where to get a relacement acrylic piece. Thanks Tom
If the crack is in the "siding" then it is not gel coat. The siding is "filon" which is a thin sheet of fiberglass over foam insulation. Gel coat fiberglass would be on the front and back caps.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Stop drilling should stop it, however if it did not I would suspect that there was a hairline crack beyound the spot where you drilled the hole. Not to be insulting here , just a bit of information from a mechanic who also has extensive aircraft sheetmetal experience. The stop drill hole should not contact the crack, but rather be about 1/8" past the crack. This insures that the drill bit does not catch on the material & start to extend the crack. Fill the stopdrilled hole & crack with silicone sealant.
Thank you, I was always of the impression that you drill the hole at the end of the advancing crack, so about 1/8" beyond the crack, Great, got it!
We do have a sidewall crack, it's at the bottom of the bedroom slide right corner, going down at a 45 degree angle to the beltline, so done travelling already. I intend on filling it with a clear caulk, it's on the dark brown section.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Did you buy the MH new or used? If used it may have been in an accident and repaired with bondo, which will crack eventually. How do I know this, because it happened to my MH a few years ago.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The theory behind drilling the hole 1/8" beyound the crack, also is that the crack will advance into the hole on its own. I should have added that to the first post. So in time when the crack does go to the hole you will want to fill in that area again with caulk. I must also tell you that I have seen the crack change direction slightly & miss the hole. This is rare & is usually caused by some other stresses on the skin.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Irwin,
RV Surplus carries the Illuminated Assist Handle 5500L and the replacement clear acrylic handle only, for 5500L Brite Bar. See their website at www.rvsurplus.net/catalog/display.php?category_id=83

Ed
Old 11-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard View Post
We do have a sidewall crack, it's at the bottom of the bedroom slide right corner, going down at a 45 degree angle to the beltline, so done travelling already. I intend on filling it with a clear caulk, it's on the dark brown section.
Interesting, we have a 2008 DX35ci and I noticed a crack in the sidewall at the same place. Lower right corner of the bedroom slide on the sidewall working it's way to the belt line. Not sure why a crack would start right there but there must be some stress there to cause it. I would be more worried if it was on the top of the slide on the sidewall.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can any of you please post a picture?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
Can any of you please post a picture?
Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xcountrybuffet 008.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	6680  
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #12

Picture of sidewall crack

Wow, Vegasdan, that looks almost like mine.

I taped a ruler next to the crack for dimensions. This crack is on the lower right corner of the body opening for the bedroom slide.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
a k

Newmar Owners Club
What kind of trailer tongue weight you pulling? Looks like chassis flex.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV 4 2 View Post
Interesting, we have a 2008 DX35ci and I noticed a crack in the sidewall at the same place. Lower right corner of the bedroom slide on the sidewall working it's way to the belt line. Not sure why a crack would start right there but there must be some stress there to cause it. I would be more worried if it was on the top of the slide on the sidewall.
Yes, I would think because it's behind the rear axel, a severe pot hole could cause some flex, infact, I also have a hairline crack directly above and inches ahead for the right upper part of the bedrm slide, but not the side wall, but in the roof curvature, found it upon getting home from AZ in May, it has not progressed at all.

While the lower one is completely cracked from slide corner 45 degree down to beltline, about 2-3" more or less.

Don't believe it's from the towing, hitch is rated at 5M and car weights about 3800 lbs. Edouard.