Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #1

Cut through the 'plastic'

I have a 2000 Sea View with that horrible super plastic around the bays. The hole in the sewer bay is too big for the ends of the sewer hose. Previously my husband would have to take the end off, run through hole then put it back on. He is not here and I don't want to do that.
Anyone know how to cut throw that 'plastic' to make the opening bigger? It seems to crack easily on the bay doors but not the hole for the sewer hose. (I looked up the name one time, emailed a plastics company and they had never heard of it)

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #2

Earlier today I did a project where I cut plastic with tin snips (metal cutting shears) and a sharp knife. It depends on how thick the plastic is and how accessible it is. A skillsaw or a dremel type tool may work.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgrandma View Post
I have a 2000 Sea View with that horrible super plastic around the bays. The hole in the sewer bay is too big for the ends of the sewer hose. Previously my husband would have to take the end off, run through hole then put it back on. He is not here and I don't want to do that.
Anyone know how to cut throw that 'plastic' to make the opening bigger?
First, IMO that "horrible blue plastic" is a very good material for storage bays. It's thick and it doesn't rust.

I used a 5" hole saw to increase the opening size in my electrical compartment because it was too small to fit the new 50A cord I installed. Hole saws come in a variety of sizes.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:34 PM   #4

+1 on the hole saw. That's what I did. You can find new hatches in various sizes at marine supply stores or on Amazon. They're known as "deck plates".
Old 10-22-2021, 10:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
You can find new hatches in various sizes at marine supply stores or on Amazon. They're known as "deck plates".
Or stroll though a hardware store . . .

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:30 AM   #6

i just bought a 2 foot extension the small end fits right through and then just connect your hose.
inbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
First, IMO that "horrible blue plastic" is a very good material for storage bays. It's thick and it doesn't rust.

I used a 5" hole saw to increase the opening size in my electrical compartment because it was too small to fit the new 50A cord I installed. Hole saws come in a variety of sizes.

I say horrible because many of the bay doors are cracking. On the drivers side in the back it has cracked and separating from the fiberglass. Many places black spots are showing up. They won't wash off.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbogie View Post
i just bought a 2 foot extension the small end fits right through and then just connect your hose.
Can you post a link to it? Not seen any with a smaller end.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgrandma View Post
Can you post a link to it? Not seen any with a smaller end.

the hose is normal but one end is what the hose attaches to and that makes it small enough to go through the hole, i got mine at cw. it works great for me. i will see if i can find it and post it.
https://www.campingworld.com/dominat...tion%2Fsewer-h i have the two foot one.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:11 AM   #10

I bought a larger "Marine Access Cover", either 4 or 5" in diameter, and used a drimmel tool to make the hole larger. It took maybe a total of 10 minutes to take the old accoss cover out, drimmel the hole larger, and screw the new cover down. The hose fits through the larger one without a problem.
maf92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf92 View Post
I bought a larger "Marine Access Cover", either 4 or 5" in diameter, and used a drimmel tool to make the hole larger. It took maybe a total of 10 minutes to take the old accoss cover out, drimmel the hole larger, and screw the new cover down. The hose fits through the larger one without a problem.
forgive me for saying this, but i cannot see doing this modifcation when a simple two foot extension will take care of the issue.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:02 AM   #12

A few questions:

Do you have a picture of the opening?

How much to you need to enlarge the hole? A guess is ok.
How handy are you?
Do you own a cordless drill?

IF you are comfortable with using a drill, AND you don't have to enlarge the hole very much, you can pick up a rotary burr file at a hardware store. You use it to slowly enlarge the opening. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Drill-Am...LSA3/306205296

Then there's the old fashion way - a half round file like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...ile-96629.html

If you use the rotary file use light pressure and keep it moving because too much pressure, or holding it in place for too long will heat the plastic and it will melt which will clog up the teeth. An occasional mist of soapy water from a squirt bottle helps. You can even use something like Windex. Light pressure also reduced the tendency of the tool to grab and jump.

If you use a hand file, especially a coarse one, file at an angle instead of at 90 degrees to the opening. Doesn't need to be a big angle. Your filing stroke should also move to the side some as you push. Only apply pressure on the forward stroke. don't drag the file back and forth like a saw. Work your way around the hole. Depending on the thickness of the plastic too coarse of a file might be too grabby, or may take lighter pressure. Just experiment and see what works best.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbogie View Post
forgive me for saying this, but i cannot see doing this modifcation when a simple two foot extension will take care of the issue.
That is your choice. It was a very simple modification for me and I am not handy at all. It looks just just the original access hole that was there besides is is 1" more round and they hose fits in and out with no problem, and I don't have to worry about critters accessing the hole from leaving a short hose in the hole all of the time either.
maf92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf92 View Post
That is your choice. It was a very simple modification for me and I am not handy at all. It looks just just the original access hole that was there besides is is 1" more round and they hose fits in and out with no problem, and I don't have to worry about critters accessing the hole from leaving a short hose in the hole all of the time either.
i don't leave the hose in , it goes in and out very easy. end of discussion.