Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #1

Dash AC blew refrigerant charge near compressor

1999 Tradewinds 7370 300HP Cat on FL chassis. Dash a/c compressor would not come on and air only coming out of defrost vents. Connected gauges to the low side at rail below passenger and discovered no refrigerant pressure. Pulled vacuum it held then charged with 2.75lbs 134a per Evans tag on mixer box above generator. Waited an hour then started coach and turned on a/c then verified clutch pulled in and yay we are pumping refrigerant. I had the bedroom motor box propped up and after about 15 minutes KABOOM and a fog of refrigerant at very high pressure was discharging near compressor so I turned off the ac and before I could see exactly where it was coming from it quit dumping. I did not lose all the charge so I don't think a hose ruptured. So now I decide to figure out why the dash air controls are not working as should and discovered I had a blown fuse that feeds power to the vacuum pump and the condenser fan motor located left of the drivers seat. Replaced the fuse then unhooked the compressor clutch power wire then turned key to accy and turned a/c back on only to see new fuse arc and blow. Now I disconnected the vacuum pump power wire and unplugged the condenser fan motor. New fuse back in place and the fuse stays good when turning ac back on so now plug in the vacuum pump and it comes to life and all the dash air vents are now working perfectly. Turns out the condenser fan motor is stiff to turn so obviously it needs replaced which I can't find any numbers on it and the blade diameter is 15.5" and outer shroud is about 16.5". Anyone have any idea if there is a high pressure relief on the refrigeration system near the compressor? I am guessing no condenser airflow and hot water creeping into the mixing box hot water coil elevated the pressure to a dangerous level?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3705.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	221745  
1999 National Tradewinds 7370 300HP Cat 3126B S#7AS55236
Allison 6 speed MD3060 Onan 7.5 KW deisel generator
Greg Hunsicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #2

Grand Design Owners Club
Sorry I'm not familiar with your exact unit, however I have been doing auto and light truck a/c for many years. Almost all compressors do have a high pressure pop-off , typically screwed into the rear. It is normally protruding 1-2" and has a hex to install. A hole in the and where pressure is relieved. No air flow on condenser will cause high side pressure to be way over spec every time.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #3

Grand Design Owners Club
I will add I have seen relief valves in the high pressure hose fitting and the rec./drier.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
I will add I have seen relief valves in the high pressure hose fitting and the rec./drier.

Good to know about the relief port. Once I get new condenser fan motor installed I will weigh in a fresh charge and try again.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:16 AM   #5

I did figure out which condenser fan assy I need. Standard 16” Evans RV218183 as I found part number after removing the fan blade from motor
Old 10-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #6

Dash_All_Electric_HVAC_System_Service_Manual
http://www.evanstempcon.com/pdf/ElectricalSystems/Dash_All_Electric_HVAC_System_Service_Manual.pdf

Recharging Car Air Conditioning
https://did-it-myself.com/recharging...-conditioning/

Compressor should be running when adding
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, dash