Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #1

Dash Board radio

2001 Tradewind owners and Islander owners, what brand of radio was installed from the factory? Mine was pulled out and a Sony installed when I bought it. Would like to get a original plug in and pull out this lousy thing that they put in.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade View Post
2001 Tradewind owners and Islander owners, what brand of radio was installed from the factory? Mine was pulled out and a Sony installed when I bought it. Would like to get a original plug in and pull out this lousy thing that they put in.
Retiredblade
Radios have improved dramatically since your coach was new.
I would look at some current model radios, (at Best Buy or the like), rather than replace a "lousy thing" with a "not quite as lousy" 2002 model radio.
BTW the correct "radio wiring adapter harness" will be available wherever you buy a new radio.... it will make the wiring "plug in", easy and foolproof.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is it about your SONY you do not like? I mean Sony is a top brand name in audio gear, (Which does not mean they may not make lesser quaility gear just that I've never seen it).

One of the biggest issues with RV dash radios is limited range, I mean it seems you get a FM station for perhaps 50 miles, where as in your car you can get it for easily a hundred. And in some AM cases.. Well I was listening to WJR (Detroit) as I left Flordia some years ago.. But that was when they made good AM radios (No longer the case) CBS Mystery Theater was on the air as i drove through the night.

The problem with the motor home is the antenna. That little stub they stick up on the roof is next to worthless.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I put a Sony 660BT in mine and have been very happy with it and the integrated TomTom GPS.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=AE67F...057%213500&v=3

Try shopping here Car Audio: Subwoofers, Car Stereos, Amps, Receivers, CD Players and you'll get plenty of install help if needed. Prices aren't bad but can be beat on E-Bay from China if you don't care about install help or return ability

Dick

Old 11-15-2014, 05:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
I put a Sony 660BT in mine and have been very happy with it and the integrated TomTom GPS.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=AE67F...057%213500&v=3

Try shopping here Car Audio: Subwoofers, Car Stereos, Amps, Receivers, CD Players and you'll get plenty of install help if needed. Prices aren't bad but can be beat on E-Bay from China if you don't care about install help or return ability

Dick

The Sony that is in there now is sticking out about a 1" and a 1/2" from the dash board. I really don't like that particular model. I measured the hole where is goes in and it is 3 1/4" x 7 1/4" , so if I cut 1/2" more to make it 4"x7" I will have a hole for a double din and the radio you have is something like I want. I'm getting to like sirius/xm radio, I have it in my new Jeep and I listen to fox news, bluegrass junction and 40's on 4 a lot.
Also, while I'm replacing, might as well get gps with it. I have found a Jensen VX7020 that would work after the hole is enlarged, it's got gps and sirius/xm compatible with the SXV200 radio tuner. Most likely I'll have to get a mounting bracket to hold it solid in the hole.
I guess that will be my next upgrade, my last upgrade recently is that I installed a VDO 2"1/16" dash clock, and a new replacement fuel gauge, a full sweep one, did that because my fuel sending unit in tank quit working. The old one was a GM 90 ohm system, the new is 240-33 ohms system. Last year put in a wingard travler satillite dish, really like it.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suggestion: forget the "Factory radio" Do not worry about what it was.

Go to Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, LED TV (if I typed it right) and find one you like. Then shop for it.. Crutchfield has about the best catalog on the net, Prices I can not comment on but the catalog is the best.

(it translated so I must have typed it right)
Old 11-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I just finished installing the VX-7020 in my Ranger with the XM add-on. I bought it at Crutchfield to get the install instructions and support. I like the Radio and am hooked on XM. The GPS could be better but functions well. I'm kinda stuck on TomTom so that opinion is biased.

Here is a Picture. The wires hanging down are for the Power Window Kit I should finish up today.

That purple looking button below the spedo (it's really black) is the mic for the blue tooth phone function, it works good as well.

Dick

BTW I was able to cut the Tradewinds dash with a Multi-Tool for a really clean fit. Just watch for the "EL" backlighting flex cables where your cutting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6037.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	79103  
Old 11-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
The combo DVD units like the above picture are terrific. Nav with HD Radio (digital) traffic updates/Bluetooth smartphone support for calls and music/rear camera circuit and darn good sound all in one small box. I was even able to sell the black & white rearview monitor for a few bucks when I was done. I got the last model year (2013, I think) that docks a plug-n-play Sirius tuner. We just move the tuner from stick house to motorhome when we take off. The tuner is controlled from the DVD unit - slick!
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, radio