Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Day/Night Shades too Tight!

I found after restringing 9 of my shades in my Dolphin that every single one of them were strung and installed WAY too tight from day one. What made it worse was they didnít leave any extra slack cord at the end to loosen them up. Itís worth the time to restring them and not to bad after you do the first two. Start with the smaller two cord shades first, however be careful not to leave yourself short of cord for the longer ones. I would suggest buying 250í on one roll if doing them all and that way it doesnít matter if you do all the smaller ones first. I bought 50í first to see how difficult it was. Then bought 4 more 50í rolls but did the larger ones first and planned my footage. Looking back and my suggestion is to buy it all on one roll. They will cut it for you. Also get 2-4 new cord ends because you will probably find some cracked. Another thing to be aware of on mine they ran the mounting screws on most right through where the cords travel through the track. The better way is to run the screws just outside of the channel the cords travel in, you may find some done that way. If you donít run the screws down too tight they probably wonít bother the cords unless they happen to hit the cords. I didnít take pictures of this issue but if you choose to do these you will figure that out. You will need a nice smooth surface to do the job.
I ordered the cord from Specialty Window Coverings the manufacturer.
roughly .$22 ft. Note cord is slightly smaller but actually allows the shade to have less drag so in turns works much better. Donít buy the little kits that is on Amazon you will have too much waste. One more thing I just removed the whole valance with the shade still attached. You will need a thin flat drywall taping knife to slide above the valance to find the screws that hold it up to the cabinets. Get a long 8-12Ē extension for you drill to remove the Phillips screws from the valance. They can be hard to find but the taping knife makes it easier. I hope this helps someone wanting to do this. They work beautifully now.
One more trick if you donít have the time to do these and you want them to work better just raise the cord ends on the valance a inch or so but they wonít lower all the way down when you do this, but it will get you thru your trip if you are on the road.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
One more tip. Have a close look at the brass grommet the string runs through. If it's worn and has a sharp edge, you can turn it 1/2 turn with a pair of pliers. Otherwise the string will wear through again in no time, and you will be doing it over again in no time.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
One more tip. Have a close look at the brass grommet the string runs through. If it's worn and has a sharp edge, you can turn it 1/2 turn with a pair of pliers. Otherwise the string will wear through again in no time, and you will be doing it over again in no time.

Happy Glamping.

Great Tip!! Fortunately none of mine were worn but that is a good tip. Watch them damn mounting screws.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I sent one place a sample of cord from mine, they told me what to order. So I bought 250' roll. Have strung the blind twice and both times it's broken, not from rubbing or catching but just not having the necessary strength. Bought one of the kits with thicker cord and will try again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Day/Night Shades too Tight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I sent one place a sample of cord from mine, they told me what to order. So I bought 250' roll. Have strung the blind twice and both times it's broken, not from rubbing or catching but just not having the necessary strength. Bought one of the kits with thicker cord and will try again.

I think the cord is somewhat special, only because I looked all over locally and I just didnít like what was out there. The cord I was sent was slightly smaller than the original but works very smooth and is what they use now. My widest shade is 60Ē and about 26Ē tall with 4 cords. Where did you order from?
Old 10-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have found that tension of cords does not need to be any tighter then what keeps the shade from falling or moving on their own. Also noticed on our shades that the factory installations located the cord anchors on the walls which results in a misalignment with the brass eyelet opening and the anchors when the shade base moves close to the bottom of window. I relocated the anchors to the bottom ends of the side frames of the lamberkins. After doing this 12 years ago , the shades move so much easier and cords have not broken or frayed.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
I have found that tension of cords does not need to be any tighter then what keeps the shade from falling or moving on their own. Also noticed on our shades that the factory installations located the cord anchors on the walls which results in a misalignment with the brass eyelet opening and the anchors when the shade base moves close to the bottom of window. I relocated the anchors to the bottom ends of the side frames of the lamberkins. After doing this 12 years ago , the shades move so much easier and cords have not broken or frayed.

Thatís exactly right.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One more tip I failed to mention and I did this on the last two and it was to use the old cords already in the shade to pull the new cords thru by tying the two together with a small tight knot. I still opened the track covers but it may be possible to pull them thru without opening the track covers. I might suggest to be sure of the length before doing this first. You can do this by fully extending the shade closed.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #9

I found some heavy fishing line to restring my shades.I used metal sewing machine bobbins for the bottom connection.I can set tension by rotating bobbin and tighitening the screw
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
I found some heavy fishing line to restring my shades.I used metal sewing machine bobbins for the bottom connection.I can set tension by rotating bobbin and tighitening the screw

Thatís another good idea. Tension is what itís about. Everyone of mine were too tight and not enough cord was left to adjust them out to ones liking. I left enough cord to staple it to the valance so I could get to it to adjust.