Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #1

Dealing with converter boxes

We have an 05 Seabreeze LX 8321. I know there have been many posts about how to replace non-digital TV's in these units, but here is my question. We have two converter boxes that we got with coupons from the government during the big conversion to digital. We have them hooked up, but can never tell whether they are working as well as they should. We often get obscure channels where they are speaking a language other than English. They do not seem to be of a very high quality. Does anyone know if we should get a digital TV, if we would get any more channels with our antenna than we do with the converter box? The TV's work fine when we are on cable. Wondering in Virginia...???

Thanks for any suggestions!
Nancy & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Assuming the digital decoder boxes are installed properly you won't get more (well maybe slightly as newer TV's are a little move sensitive receivers) stations with a newer digital TV. Your picture can only be as good as the old TV and likely even degraded slightly by the down-conversion from HD to SD (standard definition). I had an 04 Dolphin and replaced the front TV with an HD, it looked great. If you can swing the cost it's a much better viewing experience.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #3

Some of it is due to your antenna. With my old antenna I got OK reception. I went and got the jack and just set it in the window and get great reception. The channel selection is OK and I get most of the local channels I want. I don't spend much time watching TV in the MH, but use it for a getaway while at home to watch a game or get away from the kids. My mancave.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #4

To Awarnes

What do you mean by "the jack". Is that a brand name? What is it? It sounds very simple so tell me more!!! Thanks.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nancy and Bill,

Just make sure your antenna amp. is on when you're using the gov't. box, and make sure the cable from the park is disconnected. I get good reception off the air like that...you'll notice it looks much better than cable...and we have older tv's.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

To Puttin

Where is the antenna amp? Not sure what that is, and if so how do I turn it on? Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It should be in the rv right where you connect the tv to the cable wall plate. There is a little push button switch with a light near it.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #8

To Puttin again

I don't think we have one of these. We have a Wingaard distribution switch box and everything runs through that. Thanks for the picture though!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can snap a picture of the distribution box it would help, but I think you're referring to the video switch box that directs the signal to whatever tv(s) you want to watch. the amp is upstream of it and should either be in a cabinet near the front tv or close by.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #10

To Puttin #3

Ok, here is a picture. I have looked all around behind all of this, and found 3 electrical outlets, but nothing that looks like your picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	15950  
Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The switcher box has a pwr button...have you tried it while watching tv? Have you looked near where the antenna crank is for the amp? Just curious.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #12

To Puttin #4

There is nothing around the crank. There is a power button on the distribution box (left button) and the picture is better with it out, rather than in.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy & Bill View Post
Ok, here is a picture. I have looked all around behind all of this, and found 3 electrical outlets, but nothing that looks like your picture.
We have the same switch box except it is for 3 tv's instead of 4 tv's like yours.
If you are watching over the air tv you want the power on.
If you are watching cable tv you should turn it off.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #14

Yes, that is what we do. We just don't get very good reception with your antenna. I'm still wondering what "the jack" is that awarnes mentioned.

Tags
converter