Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #57

That would be a long drive for you my friend & you wouldn't be the 1st to show up at my door with a similar problem but if you do, your going to get dirty & you'll probably need a few bandaids before you see results. It's not an easy fix but I have found over my years of do it yourself-ology that fear of the unknown is the enemy & self confidence has been my best option or maybe it's my curse to jump into something that's over my head & figuring my way out in sort of a no other option kind of way.
tropically is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #58

We have a 2005 Tropical with the same issue. Not sure what to do about it if anything. It appears to be "swelling" of the plywood forcing the outer fiberglass to bulge in areas. All of the bulged areas are firm with no soft spots. I'm still trying to figure out where the moisture came from as it appears in different locations on both sides with everything appearing to be well sealed.
imapseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 PM   #59

Delamination update

Some pictures might help shed some light on what your looking at & where things are amiss. when the coach is on the road wind can push water up & into areas that you wouldn't otherwise think possible. National didn't use plywood behind the outer wall panel, it was much worse they used particle board which swells with water pushing out the outer fiberglass & gel coat. When the swelling is along the basement doors just above them the water rusts the wall frame, I found that mine had water leaking from the refrigerator defrost line that was improperly installed & was the culprit leaking inside of the wall on the non slide side of my coach.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #60

I was the piano hinge that hold the basement doors on my rig. I got it stopped but the damage is permanent.
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #61

Delam delemma

Hi Robby, when I repaired mine I treated the rusting areas sealed & coated the frame metal & the final coat was spray on bed liner so when I put the doors back on I didn't cover the frame with anything except to space the doors with redwood strips to make them fit. I ran a heavy bead of caulk ' lock tight flashing seal ' " love that stuff "along the coach body where the wall frame & basement frame met, this will allow the area to dry out & hopefully never give me any more grief. Time will tell if my solution bears fruit?
Old 10-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Sad but true, that a material supplier that would not standby their product caused NRV's financial disaster correcting the problem on their own dime. Gladly my 99 Dolphin does not have that problem. Not sure of the dates but seems about 2006 is when the problem started to surface.

I have a 2005 it's been around before that and it's the only complaint I have with the coach. Mine is worse around the bottom of the slides which I just removed the old caulk and re caulked all three slides over the weekend. The caulk seams look good and should stop the water but the damage is done. I'm going try and do one of the bedrooms slides maybe this winter if I can find a indoor warehouse to work on it. Is this what caused NRV to go under?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
Robby:

Well if it's fibreboard, I suspect it's much like humpty-dumpty - impossible to put back together again once it swells.

I've pressed quite hard on the swollen spots and there seems to be no give to it at all.

What puzzles me is that some of the swelling has occurred where it seems that water could not get in.

And I saw a used MH this past summer on which the rear end panel was quite lumpy - no joints anywhere near the lumpy parts.

This reinforces my suspicion that there are more than a few coaches out there with delamination issues, and not just NRV coaches.

Glenn

The delam is different then the swelling of the substrate. Others do have delam the panel separating from the substrate but the swelling of the substrate in my opinion is much worse.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #64

Actually I believe that the rusting of the metal frame is the worst part because it's the hardest thing to deal with & only allows limited access to make repairs but it is all bad. I have made repairs on both wall panels non slide side & on the slide outs & I found it easier to repair the slide because of access & the thinner materials used in manufacturing.
I got your message & will call you. Steve
Old 10-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #65

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by imapseudonym View Post
We have a 2005 Tropical with the same issue. Not sure what to do about it if anything. It appears to be "swelling" of the plywood forcing the outer fiberglass to bulge in areas. All of the bulged areas are firm with no soft spots. I'm still trying to figure out where the moisture came from as it appears in different locations on both sides with everything appearing to be well sealed.
I have the same issue on my 2004 Sea Breeze, I have not done anything about it and am not sure I will. I have caulked the seam above the trim over the door hinges several times since I have had this unit. I keep it indoors and is only in rain when I travel, so minimal exposure to rain. Mine has areas of swelling around many body panels. Funny thing is not just above the panels with door hinges, the panel above the front wheel also has some swelling. I am not convince that water drawn up through the screws is the culprit, as suggested earlier in this post. I did notice that on a 2006 or 7 Dolphin I went to see had an extension on the trim molding that acted like a drip guard above the compartment doors.

I am concerned about this situation but not sure much could be gained by the repairs discussed here. I don't think the rust on the frame would have significant impact structurally over the life of the motorhome. I am also not sure what the source of the moisture that causes the swelling is from, in other words, is there an active "water intrusion" on all the various panels of my motorhome, or is it more likely that environmental moisture (dampness and humidity) is the cause, and the fact that the panels were not originally sealed on the ends the true cause. I have seen particle board swell with age without a direct source of water.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #66

Delam dilemma

The problem with leaving it alone is that once the water gets inside & begins to rust the frame there is no where for that water to go so it just sits there & can't dry out so the rusting is accelerated.
My coach is 11yrs old & when I found the original source of the leak ( refrigerator defrost ) line was not installed correctly the damage to the metal frame just below the refrigerator was significant.
So in my case I needed to know that I had mitigated the leak & I made the repairs as I could, anyone facing similar circumstances will have to determine their course of action if any. I know that the person who had the coach before me ignored it? & I only hope that my posts have helped shed some light on the problems caused by water intrusion & how I dealt with mine.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:45 PM   #67

I am most interested in this thread as I just purchased an 08 Sea Breeze (actually built in Oct of 07 but still called an 08). I haven't noticed any swelling or "bumps" but perhaps I am just not seeing it.
One thing to mention is that my basement doors open out, and not up like most I am seeing in the pictures.
Is there a very obvious tell-tale sign?
Red Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jeep View Post
I am most interested in this thread as I just purchased an 08 Sea Breeze (actually built in Oct of 07 but still called an 08). I haven't noticed any swelling or "bumps" but perhaps I am just not seeing it.
One thing to mention is that my basement doors open out, and not up like most I am seeing in the pictures.
Is there a very obvious tell-tale sign?

That's a good thing. You know what rust under the bulging paint on a car looks like before it finally breaks thru that's what it looks like but on a larger scale.

Tags
door