Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The solar charger on my 2003 Dolphin L/X has deteriorated and no longer works. It seems the sun has cause all the rubberized material covering it to peel off and turn color. According to my invoice it's a 10 watt charger and there are two wires that lead into the front air conditioning unit. Has anyone replaced their charger? I assume I could just attach the wires of a replacement charger to the wires already in place. Camping World has a 15 watt unit that I am considering buying.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The solar charger on my 2003 Dolphin L/X has deteriorated and no longer works. It seems the sun has cause all the rubberized material covering it to peel off and turn color. According to my invoice it's a 10 watt charger and there are two wires that lead into the front air conditioning unit. Has anyone replaced their charger? I assume I could just attach the wires of a replacement charger to the wires already in place. Camping World has a 15 watt unit that I am considering buying.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:10 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced mine this summer on my 05. It was glued to the roof. I used a putty knife to remove it & used automotie adhesive silicone to atach the new one. I bougt minf from YOUR SOLAR RESOURCE on the net.$106 including shiping. It's a simple install just cut the wires & solder them back together. (I almost forgot. diconect batts.& cover solar panel to eleminate spark.)PART#GPDL10 GO-POWER
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:18 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fred K
Not knowing what size the wire is you should be able to use a 15 watt panel with no problem.

You also might find out who manufactured your existing solar panel and contact them about a free replacement. Solar panels are designed to last for years, with a little leg work on your part you could get one from them as a replacement or at a reduced price.
Good Luck
Richard
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #5

I do not think the solar panel on my Dolphin is working. The indicator light on the monitor panel has never lit when the coach is in sunlight without shore power plugged in. How can I test it?
Old 12-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My coach doesn't have any indicator light on the monitor panel so I can't help you there. You might try attaching a voltmeter to your house batteries when the coach is not attached to shore power. Make sure everything is turned off. Take volt readings during daylight hours and when it is dark. The daytime readings should be a little higher. Again, make sure nothing has been turned on between the two readings.. My battery voltage slowly went up .5 volts while sitting in the sun. I have 4 six volt batteries. I forgot to add that I installed the charger that Speedracer suggested and it was a simple installation. It was the exact same size as the old one.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 AM   #7

I haven't been able to test the voltage yet but I have another question. If I disconnect the house batteries, should I be able to get a voltage reading from the lead in cables, if the solar panel is providing electricity? On my last RV, a fifth wheel, I had a portable solar panel that put out 18 volts or so when it was not connected to the battery.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You shouldn't need to disconnect batteries. The solar panel if provided by NRV should connect to the battery system thru a fuse or circuit breaker.

On my 2003 it is thru a 5Amp fuse-F7 on the 12 volt distribution panel.

Yours may have a newer panel system so look at your documentation to find it.

If it is a fuse then pull the fuse and measure the voltage at that point on either side of the fuse connections.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #9

The typical 10-15 watt solar panel will not cause the battery voltage to rise enough for it to be noticeable on the average voltmeter. However, if it is disconnected from the battery, it should measure nearly 18volts when the sun is shining.
KentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #10

Does the charging light work with the new panel?
Mike H 2002 Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by two2go:
I haven't been able to test the voltage yet but I have another question. If I disconnect the house batteries, should I be able to get a voltage reading from the lead in cables, if the solar panel is providing electricity? On my last RV, a fifth wheel, I had a portable solar panel that put out 18 volts or so when it was not connected to the battery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a good idea to disconnect the batteries while a solar panel is still connected to the electrical system,--in daylight that is-.
18 volts may not be appreciated by some electronics boards in the coach( refer, furnace etc.)

Marty
Old 01-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillArf:
Saw this old post and I will have to add something. Wiring size is not the only consideration! The solar panel has to have a "controller" that is acceptable for the amount of wattage output of the solar panel. MANY if not most factory mounted solar panels like the one we are talking about have a controller that will work for up to a 10watt panel. Most of the panels like we are talking about are 5-6 watt. Be real sure the controller you have will handle the solar panel you are using. Most stock RV set-ups will not handle a 15watt solar panel with the controller installed at the factory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 2003 NRV does not have a "controller panel" for the solar panel provided by NRV.

Not sure if any later years would have one for the low wattage panels.

It would take more then 1 1/2 amps to overcharge two T105 batteries when the phantom loads and night time battery self discharge are considered.

Marty
Old 01-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A single 15 watt panel will put out 1 amp under Max. condition.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:50 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced mine last summer(2005 dolphin) and it does'nt have a controller. the indicator light came on as soon as I hooked it up. When you cover it up the light goes out. I replaced it with a unit the same size as the old one but it has diff. specs. 10W-.650AMPS
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote