Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Difficult rear gas fill

Why do they put the gas fill on my 36.5 National Dolphin 5355 on the very back. When towing and trying to get to the pumps and not block the entire station itís difficult. I try to pick the first pump and not extend to far but itís hard. Works best on the end if possible. Of all the thought I have observed in the build of this one this is the only major fopah.
Glamping2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Yeah, my SeaBreeze LX is the same way. I have to be careful where I fuel up. Have gotten off the road and then back on when I've seen the gas station. While others don't always agree, I find most Flying J's to have the room I need. Might pay a bit more sometimes, but it's worth it if I don't have to struggle getting in and out.

Al
FLRosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a National Sea Breeze.... and let me tell you the companies have not learned yet. My 2019 Fleetwood is the same and has the filler cap on the back wall of the coach near the license plate. Its the worst place I could think to put it. I'm just short of 40 ft. long plus our four door Jeep...so I really have to plan ahead and take up a lot of room.
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:00 PM   #4

I'm a fan of Flying J/Pilot. Using their app I look for those that are not only "RV Friendly", but have "RV Lanes".

For me, towing the Jeep, it's the easiest way to fuel up so that's what we do as much as possible.
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Taking a MH to the gas station is always difficult. I feel bad about taking up two pumps so I don;'t stick out into the thru lane. I really feel bad when we come back from a trip and fill up with the Jeep behind us. We fill up at Costco which is always busy. While waiting inline I will sometimes walk back and let the driver behind me know what I will be doing and why I'm doing it, helps to calm tempers sometimes.
Your question about the fill being in the back is actually better because you can fill from either pump.

We love our Dolphin, but also have some questions as to why they did certain things. One questions is; why they put dual pane windows everywhere except the entry door. Why the top of the front cap isn't insulated (I've insulated it).

Happy and Safe Travels.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:09 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
I've learned that our '05 Dolphin has to have the driver's side next to the pump and that I'm usually going to take up the entire pump lane because of the Corolla we tow. And THEN I've learned to have the front end lower that the rear so that the fuel flows into the tank and doesn't backup the fill pipe and shut off the pump hose.

Before I head out I use the Pilot/Flying J and Gas Buddy apps to locate likely fuel stops and then I use Satellite maps to see which stations and pumps are accessible.

Our GMC V8 engine like mid-grade fuel and I've learned that some "local" station's fuel may not as advertised and causes "knocks" so buyer beware.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:28 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamping2 View Post
Why do they put the gas fill on my 36.5 National Dolphin 5355 on the very back. When towing and trying to get to the pumps and not block the entire station itís difficult. I try to pick the first pump and not extend to far but itís hard. Works best on the end if possible. Of all the thought I have observed in the build of this one this is the only major fopah.
Check the vent hose from the tank to the side of the filler. Have to get under the rear, if the small vent hose has a dip in it there's your problem. Gas will fill the dip and not allow the the tank to vent. To correct make sure the vent hose has no dips in it. My 99 Dolphin has no problem filler with fuel at the highest setting on the nozzle.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I donít pull a toad so itís been fairly easy to fuel up at most convenience store gas stations or Walmart/Murphy USA stations. I always hunt for low prices and will top off even when if Iím at 3/4 full if gas is higher where Iím heading. I sometimes block more of the lot than I like and will hurry up and get out of the way ASAP in those cases. I usually donít feel too bad since Iím usually dropping close to $100 in their pockets. Maybe it would be helpful to not hook up the toad until after you refuel especially if you do it as youíre starting out in the morning.
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas