Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #1

Disgusting Poor Construction!

The longer I own RV's the more amazed I become at how poorly constructed they are. Especially considering the physical and environmental stresses they encounter on the road.

My latest realization in my Palisades 362 is the terrible caulking (or lack thereof) in the slide-out joints and windows.

After a couple of torrential rains in Florida, water started pouring into the unit. So I took off the pieces of aluminum angle extrusions covering the right angle corners of the slide and realized the only sealant was crappy silicone.

Not only was it silicone (the worst possible caulking for exterior applications next to bubble gum), but it wasn't even under the aluminum. It was ran as a bead on the sides of the aluminum and placed as a dollop on top of the screw heads.

This is the absolute worse way to caulk exterior exposures. Silicone does not properly adhere to anodized aluminum nor to rubber roofing. Of course the silicone eventual lost adhesion and the water poured in. Most of the leaking had apparently been going on a long time because the walls were saturated and dry rot had started at the bases and flooring. Now, only removing the slide entirely and replacing all of the rotten wood and paneling will fix it for good.

RV's should be built to marine standards, at least considering waterproofing and electrical wiring. It is as if manufacturers think they are building a unit that will only be used for four or five years then be discarded.

CONSUMERS! BE AWARE! DON"T BUY CRAP (like I did)!

Its disgusting!
awdfsxcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnicare View Post
It is as if manufacturers think they are building a unit that will only be used for four or five years then be discarded.
That is what they think, and what most Americans expect to do with practically everything. We're a "toss-it-and-get-new" society!

One can buy better built units, provided of course one will pay a premium price...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #3

That is why on the last 3 RV's I bought the first thing I do is recaulk the seams and reseal the roof. That way I know it's done right and if it leaks it's my fault. Just finished that with the 03 Chateau we bought in January. Had to wait for mild temps.

What an RV is, is a moving home on wheels. Just like your vehicle it bends, cracks, and things come loose. That's why you do maintenance on your vehicles and RV's. Whether you bought it new or used. It's all part of the game.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
That is why on the last 3 RV's I bought the first thing I do is recaulk the seams and reseal the roof. That way I know it's done right and if it leaks it's my fault. Just finished that with the 03 Chateau we bought in January. Had to wait for mild temps.

What an RV is, is a moving home on wheels. Just like your vehicle it bends, cracks, and things come loose. That's why you do maintenance on your vehicles and RV's. Whether you bought it new or used. It's all part of the game.
Understood and I agree. I have owned many boats over my life from duck boats, ski, boats, sailboats, to a 75 foot trawler and the dynamic environment requires specific considerations because of the motion. Aircraft are the same. R.V's should at least be built with a minimum thought of the dynamics involved. But for the most part they aren't. They are only built to the equal standards of a mobile home that sits static on a lot for years and years on end!

A little proper calking and stranded wiring are not expensive additions and should not only be included in the "high-end" RV's. Poor caulking and subsequent leaks have safety considerations for corrosion and breakage, and single strand romex wiring has the danger of breakage and shorts that could lead to electrocution.

The manufacturers should be held to a higher standard of safety because unfortunately most consumers do not have a clue!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree that all to many are built to a pretty poor standard and they are cheap. As long as there are inexperienced buyers out there that will take any plastic box with a lot of glitz and as big as possible, the manufacturers will build cheap junk that is not suitable for its intended purpose. The more buyers we can educate, the better off the consumer will be. Until the consumer speaks with their wallet, they will not listen.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have to agree, in the marine environment my Rv would not last very long. I guess they think we would not sink if something happened, will some boats have sunk from bad construction but that is another story.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Palisades 362

omnicare,

First let me say how sorry I am to hear of your troubles. Water leaking and the damage from it is one of the worst problems to have. That said....

I have owned two National RV's since 2005 and have never heard of a Palisades 362 model. Why did you post this on the National Owners Forum? Do you think this is for Nationally owned MH's?

Just curious.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
omnicare,

First let me say how sorry I am to hear of your troubles. Water leaking and the damage from it is one of the worst problems to have. That said....

I have owned two National RV's since 2005 and have never heard of a Palisades 362 model. Why did you post this on the National Owners Forum? Do you think this is for Nationally owned MH's?

Just curious.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
It is a 5-er
http://www.nadaguides.com/rvs/2003/N.../Special-Notes
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
omnicare,

Just curious.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
The OP probably didn't realize it was the National Forum. Lets give him credit for trying to make us all aware of a situation, no matter where he posted.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
National built some 5th wheels, the Palisades was one. It sounds like someone previously used silicone caulking on the roof, which is not what the factory or anyone should use up there. It does do a good job on the sidewall seams and window sealing, however, it must be checked and redone on a periodic basis. Something that moves down those rough roads at 65 mph and has to be light enough to be pulled by a pickup cannot be built like a sticks and bricks.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
The OP probably didn't realize it was the National Forum. Lets give him credit for trying to make us all aware of a situation, no matter where he posted.

The O.P.'s rig IS a "National"! Link- again...
Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
HA HA HA ! The NATIONAL RV OWNERS!!! site. FOR PEOPLE IN OUR NATION THAT OWN RV'S!!! HILARIOUS!!!!

AHHH. WHEW!!! I know I'm from the south but come on!

My unit is a Palisades 362 5th Wheel built by National RV! Yes I knew it was THE "NATIONAL RV" OWNERS SITE. Most National RV owners only think they made Motorhomes.
Can't anyone see my profile picture?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnicare View Post
Most National RV owners only think they made Motorhomes.
Can't anyone see my profile picture?

Here's a thought: How 'bout putting the word "National" in your signature, like so:

Quote:
2003 NATIONAL RV PALISADES 362
Ford 2010 F-250 Diesel, Superglide 18K, Moreryde
I AM FULL-TIME TRAILER TRASH!
Those big red letters oughta get our attention!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Here's a thought: How 'bout putting the word "National" in your signature, like so:

Those big red letters oughta get our attention!
OK. Its a NATIONAL PALISADES 362!

Thanks!:http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/more/bow.gif