Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2020, 12:38 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Smile DMV Title/Registration Make/Model Question

Hi Folks,

In March, I purchased a one owner 2001 National RV Tradewinds 7373. It was originally registered in Arizona. Until recently, Oregon's DMV has been closed due to Covid and is now starting to provide limited services. I am finally preparing to transfer the Title/Registration from the original owners who resided in Arizona to my home State of Oregon. Unfortunately, because of the change in States, this was not something I can do online.

This brings me to the point of my confusion. What is the correct designations for the Make and Model of my MH? To my mind, the Make should be listed as "National RV", the Model should be "Tradewinds" or, more accurately, "Tradewinds 7373".

The following items are the fuel for my confusion.

1) The Title from the original buyers of my MH lists the Make as "Tradewinds" and Model as "7373". It does not even mention National RV.

2) A VIN check shows the Make as "Freightliner". The Type as "Incomplete - Motorhome Chassis".

3) The Federal Certificate near the driver's compartment lists MFG: "National RV", and Incomplete Vehicle MFG By: "Freightliner".

4) The "NRV Appliance Serial Numbers" manifest, located in a closet, says "Manufactured By: National RV, Inc.".

5) The embossed metal tag next to the entry door shows National RV as MFG.

6) The "National RV, Perris, California" decals on the exterior would lead one to conclude NRV as the MFG.

7) The copy of the original 2001 Tradewinds brochure, (graciously provided on this forum by a fellow member), prominently shows the National RV logo, adding to the impression of NRV as MFG.

So folks, on your Titles/Registrations is the Make listed as Dolphin, SeaBreeze, etc., and what does it list as the Model? I know this seems to be a bit OCD. My many years of providing litigation support services has made me a stickler for accuracy.

Thank you, in advance, for your patience with this Nube.

OldScouter
OldScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2020, 12:55 PM   #2

In Ohio, my title shows Newmar as the "make" and Bay Star as the "model" and of course, it has the VIN #.

When I had RV's registered in New York, it was the same format.

It it were me, I would proceed in that manner with your registration. After all, the VIN number is the most important information for purposes of tracing or identifying the coach.

Good luck!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In Texas our title and registration shows Make and Body Style. There is no reference to model. I have a 1999 Tradewinds 7372 and they show TRAD for the Make, and MH for the Body Style. When we bought it in 2015, California had it titled and registered as Make: TRADE, and Body Style: MH.

The VIN number will always show the manufacturer of the chassis.
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My CA registration Just shows Winne, body type MH. I assume the pink slip is the same.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #5

There should be a VIN for the completed vehicle, and that should be the one used on the registration and title. There is genuine confusion when the incomplete vehicle (chassis) VIN shows a different year than the completed vehicle and it's common for an RV manufacturer to use up "last year's" chassis inventory when switching model years.

It would probably be a good idea to get the RV VIN on the title and registration... but if it's working now, I'd be reluctant to attempt any changes. Unexpected consequences, etc.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #6

This one owner RV has been titled the same way for nearly 20 years. Unless your DMV's are a lot friendlier and cooperative than those in my state I would register the RV exactly as it's listed right now, drive it and enjoy it. No need to rock the boat.
You know what the RV is. If someone off the street asks, tell them.
Lynn

Several years ago I had an Olds Toronado I bought from a dealer used. It was a 1971 which was a year before my state started issuing titles. I registered the car every year for four years. The fifth year the reg. renewal was kicked back for incorrect VIN. I checked the previous registration numbers and the bill of sale I had in my file. Sure enough one digit was missing in the VIN on the registration and had been since I owned the car and perhaps the original owner's registration..
I had to park the car three weeks because the registration had expired. It took several phone calls and a pencil trace of the dash board VIN and a trip to the DMV to get the digit added and my reg. renewed. I was also billed for a document change.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Thank You For The Help

Thank you all for your responses. I think I am going to follow the advice of LETMGROW. If the title, as is, was good enough for Arizona DMV, it should pass muster for Oregon DMV.

It is very difficult to get business done with the DMV, because of Covid. I just wanted to prepare for any "snags".

You all are the greatest. That is why iRV2 is my "go to" information source.
OldScouter is offline   Reply With Quote