Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2019, 07:51 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I turned the fan off yesterday to see if anything changed. So today at 1:30 pm with outside temp at 102 the fridge was 44 and freezer at 26

Earlier this morning with no fan since yesterday at 9:00 am outside temp at 90 and fridge was 36 and freezer at 18.

Looks like the fan did make a difference. I have an appointment to check the fridge out on Aug 1, will let you all know what they come up with.

Looks like fans are the answer then. As far as "them" checking it out I would be more inclined to trust your results than company results. It will be interesting to hear what they say though. Many here swear by fans and at evaporation fridges. I am going with a fan or two for sure.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Up date on fridge

Well everything was going good until I unplugged and removed the fan from beside the motor home. Last night my propane detector went off so I removed it thinking it's over 5 years old and needs to be replaced. Well this morning I heard a beep from the inside of the MH so I opened the door and got a huge whiff of what I thought was sewer or gas. I shut down the fridge, opened all windows, turned on ceiling fans and even placed a couple of table top fans at each end of the mh. Smell is still there but not as bad. The beeping was from my carbon dioxide detector which is mounted at the top of my wall across from the fridge.
BTW, the carbon dioxide detector stopped beeping. I called the shop I'm supposed to take it to on the 1st and told them what happened. They said it sounds like the cooling unit coils are leaking. Just made my day.
They are talking 1700.00 for a cooling unit plus 170.00 shipping plus atleast 5-6 hours labor at 120.00 per hour. So I'm looking at about 2590.00+ to repair my fridge.
6 years ago in Jan the cooling unit was changed out for a total of 1200.00.

So, does anyone have any thoughts as to a good reasonable place to have it changed out. Or maybe even switching over to a residential fridge. Know anyone who does this?
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:29 AM   #17

wdator... I have installed 3 computer fans in my side by side Dometic.... they are bolted (8/32) to a 1/8" x 1 " aluminum strap and are wired into the power going to the light switch.... that power is available when ever the fridge is powered up... so the fans run when the fridge is on... they draw less power BTW than a common filament 12vdc light bulb... g
We have found that the box temperature comes down... the fins in the back no longer freeze and we can run the fridge on one step lower temperature with better results... and when the box temperature of the fridge came down so did the temperature of the freezer...
Old 08-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
I have learned that in hot weather areas I need to have fans for the fridge. Have an appointment this Tuesday for a quote on labor to replace the cooling unit. Cooling unit 910. +shipping and a 5 year warranty. Last cooling unit was done in the MH on the floor.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge