Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #1

Do You Use Cruise Control??

In this train of thought.....I am now with my 4th (and final) Class"A" - a National Tradewinds 7370. All of my rigs have had Cruise Control installed, but in my 19 years driving a Class"A", I have never used the Cruise Control feature. This includes several coast-to-coast tours as well as three trips to Alaska and one into Mexico (Copper Canyon - many years ago).
I take rest stops on long driving days as well as the usual family potty and eating breaks.
My thinking is that if (I pray it does not happen) something should happen to me while driving, I don't want the rig to continue down the highway out of control - rather it would coast to a stop.

I would be interested to learn from others if the cruise control is of significant help - when and why.

Thanks for your personal thoughts on this topic.
ccxnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #2

...all the time, every time, except for driving in the mountains--wont leave home without it!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Use the cruise control on every vehicle I ever owned, even my Harley. Set speed depends on road condition's............I adjust my speed with the cruise control up and down as needed. One tap is 1 mph up or down..........as close to a self driving vehicle that I will get close to in my life time.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been using Cruise Control all Of my 47 years of driving. Too tiring not to also keeps the speed at 65 mph better fuel consumption rate and get to enjoy the journey! Your idea although worthy I would wonder what the percentage of accidents were attributed to the cruise control being on. How is your health, if you are prone to having a heart attack you might be right.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, I use my cruise control. Wouldn’t be without it. It saves me from speeding tickets especially in the car.
Not such a big deal in MH as I generally, always drive it slower, due to passenger seat constant reminders about going to fast. I do not drive over the speed limit on the interstates as toad is limited to 65.
In Canada I normally would set the cruise at 5 kilometres over the posted limited of 100 KM. That would be very close to 65 mph.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #6

All the time even going up mountains.I set the cruise and let the engine/transmission computers do their thing.

However, the suggestion on health entering into the picture sure makes me think about this practice.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #7

I always use it.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #8

I have always used cruise control. Keeps me from “pacing” a passing vehicle which I find most cars I pass do to me making it an unwanted game of me slowing back down and getting back behind them only to have them slow down. Aggravating.
As for having a medical issue and an uncontrolled RV continuing at speed, if you are incapacitated the RV is not going to follow the road and cost to stop. It will drift off the road anyway just not as fast.
Old Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #9

I like speed control for long stretches of open highway with good visibility. It allows me to move and stretch a little but I am always a little nervous about it. I never use it in traffic or in the mountains as I am always making small adjustments to the throttle. Reaction time is increased in a panic stop when using speed control. If you have a panic stop, the coach begins to slow as soon as you lift your foot even as you move your foot to the brake. In cruise control mode you lose that split second. Sometimes that matters.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As has been said, "Don't leave home without it!"

Cruise helps make you a better driver and lets you concentrate on other important aspects of driving without constantly monitoring the speedometer.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Same here, a big cruise control fan. It makes traveling easier for the driver (me). If I see a big hill coming I will give put my foot on the accelerator to give it a boost up the hill, rather than waiting for CC to recognize that we've lost speed - but that's not usually an issue in Florida, not a lot of hills.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Always use it! Especially in mountains! Especially descending mountains, let the computer, transmission, and exhaust brake do there job!
Old 09-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post
I like speed control for long stretches of open highway with good visibility. It allows me to move and stretch a little but I am always a little nervous about it. I never use it in traffic or in the mountains as I am always making small adjustments to the throttle. Reaction time is increased in a panic stop when using speed control. If you have a panic stop, the coach begins to slow as soon as you lift your foot even as you move your foot to the brake. In cruise control mode you lose that split second. Sometimes that matters.
Same here
bamarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:29 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I normally use cruise on open freeways. I generally avoid cruise in dense traffic or on curvy back roads. Or anytime road conditions are bad like rain, fog, etc....
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control