Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff00NTW View Post
Great. thanks for the info. Is there a device that can be used when the engine is running that the alternator will also charge the house batteries while it is charging the chassis batteries? The main problem I see is that my house batteries are agm batteries compared to the normal chassis batteries.
Many MHs have AGM and Flooded battery banks and interconnect them all of the time. You will be fine.

Your MH should already charge the house bank from the chassis battery. Check the solenoid.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Wait a minute before checking voltage at banks after plugging in. The solenoid on mine doesn't switch over for several seconds, and you can definitely hear it switch. It should also switch if you hit the emergency start on the dash. If you don't hear the click, it's probably not working.
I got mine from O'reilly for $40. It is the OE solenoid. They had one for $19 but I don't want to have to change it every year so I got the name brand.
Both banks charge on mine whether on the alternator or plugged in.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff00NTW View Post
Great. thanks for the info. Is there a device that can be used when the engine is running that the alternator will also charge the house batteries while it is charging the chassis batteries? The main problem I see is that my house batteries are agm batteries compared to the normal chassis batteries.
Don't pay much attention to the guys posting if they don't have a National RV, as they don't know how Nationals work. Itasca, Winnebago, Damon and many others don't work like a National does. The BCC in a National is different and they work different than most others. IF the BCC is working correctly, and IF the isolation solenoid IS working correctly, it should charge both sets of batteries in either direction. There is a comparitor circuit on the BCC that looks at both sets of batteries. When the chassis battery gets to 13.2 volts the solenoid should close and charge the house batteries, IF the solenoid is good. Same way on the house batteries when plugged in. When the house batteries get to 13.2 volts the solenoid should close and charge the chassis battery, IF the solenoid is good. NOW if there is any burned parts on the BCC board, it may NOT work. If you have a bad cell in one of those batteries it may never reach 13.2 volts, and will not switch.

My 03 Dolphin has a couple burned capacitors on the BCC and will NOT charge the house batteries from the alternator, nor charge the chassis battery from the converter. A new BCC is over $600.00, and they don't sell the circuit boards by themselves. the company will send you a schematic for the BCC and you can trouble shoot it. I don't have that info anymore as I went thru this with my BCC in early 2017. Hint, those solenoids do go bad as they are activated a lot of the time. Make sure you use the correct one if you do change it, it's a lot of work.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #18

Two questions BCC ? What is it and where.
Also where is this solenoid located and how do you check it
My coach is a 7273 national tradewinds. (yr.2000)
Thank friends
JimmyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #19

Have someone push the boost switch repeatedly while you listen for it clunking.

You " special " National BCC works the same as any BIRD or BIM.

It senses charging voltage bi-directionally and closes a solenoid.

If your BCC is burnt out, a BIRD can be wired in to take over the control duties.

https://www.intellitec.com/index.php...tery_charging/

Name:   bi-directional_isolator_img_6935_corr_web.jpeg
Views: 354
Size:  11.5 KB
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJ View Post
Two questions BCC ? What is it and where.
Also where is this solenoid located and how do you check it
My coach is a 7273 national tradewinds. (yr.2000)
Thank friends
BCC= Battery Control Center. On my 03 Dolphin it is in the compartment right behind the passenger front tire. Here is what mine looks like, some newer units looked similar but had many more circuit breakers where mine has fuses. The solenoid is between the 2 circuit boards. Kind of a pain to change it out.
Here is a link from a thread from a while back, on page three there is some pdf files for the Custom Products BCC. The board in these files is a smaller type but they work pretty close to the same.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/emer...ch-361019.html
Attached Images

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #21

Thanks Charlie
Old 12-09-2018, 12:35 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To the OP and others with National RV's. If you do not have the documentation/troubleshooting guide for your BCC call RV Custom Products and ask for it. They will email it to you. National RV installed in their RV's a BCC that will charge the chassis and house batteries if the BCC and interconnect solenoid are operating correctly. This is on shore, generator, or engine alternator.

RV Custom Products
14000 Anson Ave, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 921-8353
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 Volt Distribution Panel.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	228473  
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #23

Hello,

Sorry it has been a while about posting back. Thanks everyone for the info.

It was the solenoid behind the bcc. Purchased a new from NAPA and works perfect now.

One thing to mention is that I took pictures of everything to make sure it was put back together correctly.

Thanks again
Old 12-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #24

Thanks so much.I just called them they are very pleasant and are sending me this info via email. Life is good

Tags
alternator, batteries, house batteries