Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

Dolphin Bed Room Slide

My Slide is still operating erratically, has anyone ever opened or closed one manually?
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #2

Not sure if your Dolphin is the same as my Sea Breeze, but the foot of the mattress has to slide under the closet doors to fully retract the bedroom slide. The slide can be manually cranked in and out at the gearbox, which is under the bed, but you can't completely retract the slide with the mattress platform open, which means no access to crank on it.

It might be possible to push the slide in manually, once it is disconnected from the drive assembly. Personally, I would try that first before tearing the bed apart.

If you can't push it in, remove the mattress, raise the bed platform, disconnect the struts, raise and prop the platform, pry out the carpeted panel exposing the gearbox and crank in the slide with a wrench or socket. If the bed platform will not raise enough to clear the closet doors, unscrew and remove the bed platform, then crank in the slide.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else has an easier way.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can remove the drawer under the bed to access the motor and manual drive with bed platform down
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #4

I wish mine had a drawer under the bed for that very reason. I've thought about creating a removable panel, because I know if mine quits, the timing and location won't be good.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #5

My 05 Dolphin 5342, BR slide has always been a problem, leaks,shear pin, busted gear. I found a red painted nut on the end of the motor, I think that this is the manual nut. But where is located in the layout, if a shear pin or gear is busted it would be of zero help.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:14 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I never tried it manually. But I did have 2 different intermittent bedroom motor not turning like no power was going to it. One case was in the 05 Dolphin, intermittently slide won't come in - intermittent relay on the slide control board in front passenger side basement compartment. On the 08 Dolphin I had intermittent bedroom slide operation because the hallway in/out switch started to go bad. If fact sometimes the motor wouldn't stop even when the button was released.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #7

I'm trying to plan ahead and this thread really helps
I have a 06 Dolphin 5342 and want to be prepared if something goes wrong
I have the end cap on the motor which is the brake.
I assume the nut to turn the motor is behind there?
Not sure if i want to remove it yet
What size is the nut?
Can you use a drill to turn the motor?
I've heard of gears and shaft keys that break
Should i bother to get some?
Al Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:44 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
From your description, you have a newer and improved mechanism. I don't think you will have problems. I believe under that rubber cap at the end of the motor is a brake release. and if there are problems, release the brake and use a socket and ratchet to
turn the shaft, fairly easy, don't bother trying to use a drill.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, slide