Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #1

Question Dolphin mystery winding handle

Hello folks. Can anyone offer any help with this mystery winding handle
It is located on the ceiling just behind the drivers seat. It is a rotary handle with arrows left and right printed on the disc. Arrows indicate direction to make something? go up or down. I have wound it around and around but it dosnt seem to move anything??? I have a camos dome sat dish above it on roof outside. But that moves automatically when switched on to find the satellites. Is it perhaps for manual moving of the dish within the dome.
I have had the trouble and strife (wife) wind the handle whilst I stood outside looking up at it. Cant see it doing anything. What is it then. Answers on a postcard to..... Thanks.
Boneidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneidle View Post
Hello folks. Can anyone offer any help with this mystery winding handle
It is located on the ceiling just behind the drivers seat. It is a rotary handle with arrows left and right printed on the disc. Arrows indicate direction to make something? go up or down. I have wound it around and around but it dosnt seem to move anything??? I have a camos dome sat dish above it on roof outside. But that moves automatically when switched on to find the satellites. Is it perhaps for manual moving of the dish within the dome.
I have had the trouble and strife (wife) wind the handle whilst I stood outside looking up at it. Cant see it doing anything. What is it then. Answers on a postcard to..... Thanks.
It sounds like either a tv antenna or a old manual sat. dish handle. It may have had a manual sat. dish installed and then someone added the auto.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #3

Red face

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes sounds about right to me. One less thing to ponder. Cheers.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is the handle to raise, lower and turn the TV antenna. Even though you have a satellite dish, you may still have an antenna. Have you been on the roof to check? Crank it in the direction that indicates "up" and go outside and see if you have a raised antenna. Many RV'ers with satellite us their antenna's to get local broadcast stations.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #5

Ok will have a look tomorrow but i dont think it will be on there
by the way i have never walked on the roof area is it only safe to go on the luggage space area with the railings around? I am very heavy dont want to go through. only had rv for two weeks

will try to post a pic

thanks for your help
Old 11-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And if they removed the antenna, they may have still left "The works" in the roof instead of patching the hole that would have been left.

Is there a name printed on the thing.. Perhaps "Winegard"
Old 11-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #7

you just wanna see a fat guy fall through the roof dont ya !! LOL
Old 11-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In most cases it's falling off the roof that is more of a problem than falling through it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
In most cases it's falling off the roof that is more of a problem than falling through it.
Head this warning. I don't fear getting on my roof to work or clean but I do respect the potential to fall.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
You're just looking for a laugh by encouraging him.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #11

Hi and thanks eveyone who answered. And thanks for the warm welcome.
Yes indeed I have been to the storage site today. Pulled myself up the ladder and kneeled around up there. I could see Berts Mothers and all around. But anyway there is a mounted circular fitting with a worm gear that still turns from the handle below. Yes there was a large W printed on the handle surround. So I guess thats it then. The old antenna system. I know I have a lot to learn and I need to distinguish between whats important kit and old dissused tv ariel mounts etc. But it all takes time. So thanks again to all who guide me.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Don't worry about the learning curve. I had my MH 4 months before I noticed 2 under cabinet fluorescent light fixtures in the dining area.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now the good news.. Since you have a sat dome or dish up there for TV. you can take a bit of square stock, clamp a Wilson Cellular antenna on it, It could be quite long if you wish, Clamp/attach the other end to what's left of that old crank up antenna and ....

CELL PHONE/DATA Extender.

Tags
dolphin