Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Dolphin Roof

Has anyone had experience coating the rubber roof. Our 97 Dolphen is in great shape and have done some upgrades but my rv dealer said the black spots on the roof mean problems. He said I could coat it and get a few more years. It is stored inside expect when used. I would like to take care of this problem before leaks and etc. Any info appreciated
pjtaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The black spots are most likely mold.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Have a 99 tradewind and when I bought it the roof had been coated but the coating seemed to eat into the rubber roof.
I asked that the roof be recovered, to which it was.
There were more black spots and the inspection done by Cottonwood RV in Chilliwack said the only way to remedy was to recover.
They did an excellent job and now after 8 months a reassesment was done and all was OK.

Makes me feel that the right thing was done with the recover.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used this on mine. Clean it well, apply like it says......like new for 10 years. Rook

EPDM Coatings - Liquid EPDM Rubber Roof Coatings For Roof Leaks

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
What to cover the R.V. roof with.

I have a 36' Dolphin 1997 and I had Camping World put a coat of sealant on the roof.
Cost $300.00.
Don't know how long it will last but it's better then nothing.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The black spots are mold that grow on the surface of the EPDM rubber membrane from organic (dirt) material and moisture. To prevent the mold from growing clean the roof once or twice a year. Dicor recommends four time a year. The more often the better. The black mold does not damage the rubber, it just grows on the surface. If you roof is still in good condition don't coat it, clean it. I let my roof get a lot of mold on it because it didn't know about the proper maintenance and cleaning needed. Dicor recommends using Tilex to remove the black mold. I tried it, way to slow I read the information about the roof from Dicor that came from the factory when the coach was built. Yeah, I was one of the few lucky ones that got the blue case from National when I bought the coach used. The small manual from Dicor said to use bleach to remove the mold, either diluted or full strength. I started with 25% dilution and worked up to full strength bleach, doesn't take much. I worked it around with a sponge mop not a brush. Let the bleach work for a few minutes, you can see the black spots disappear. Rinse the roof check if you need to re-apply bleach in any areas. Make sure you keep walls wet while using the bleach. Once the roof is clean and dry you can treat it with 303 Protestant or and other coating recommended for rubber roofs. DO NOT use any petroleum products on the rubber, it will destroy the membrane. My roof feels and looks like new. When cleaning the roof it is a good time to inspect all the sealing area's. I know using bleach sounds harsh but it works. It been almost two years since I did mine and still looks good. If I can remember to do it tomorrow I'll scan the manual I have from Dicor and post it here. Attached is a picture of what my roof looked like before and after cleaning with full strength bleach.
Brite-Ply EPDM Rubber Roofing | Dicor Products | Official Website
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaned Roof.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	76800  
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do decide to coat the roof this is the only coating I would use. Liquid Roof, Solution For RV Roof Leaks Repair - EPDM Coatings
I used it on my 5th wheel five years ago that is outside year round in northern AZ at 6100 ft. It goes through freezing weather, snow, and summer sun. The roof still looks like the day I applied it.

Chuck
Old 10-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
I used this on mine. Clean it well, apply like it says......like new for 10 years. Rook

EPDM Coatings - Liquid EPDM Rubber Roof Coatings For Roof Leaks
X2

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I finally remembered to get the Dicor roof care and maintenance instructions that came with my Dolphin and scan it. In it, it does say you can use household bleach without damaging the membrane, which I have done without any damage.

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dicor RV Roof Care and Maintenance.pdf (833.9 KB, 84 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.

Tags
dolphin, roof