Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 09:22 PM   #1

Dolphin windshield reset

I have a 1996 Dolphin ford Chassis split window configuration. Over the years I had the right window reset twice and the drivers side once. Both sides have the seals replaced.

i am totally aware that you need to be extra careful how you drive, turn and especially coming out of parking lots so the rv doesn't come out at a angle, ie coming out slow and straight and then make your turn as late as possible.

My question is there any special tips that you can provide to keep the window from creeping out. My drivers side has lifted up and I can see air space for eight inches. One individual told me not to change seals if you don't have to because factory seals are not available. the oem are not as good. That information is too late.
Relative to the rubber seals, should they be sealed with some type of adhesive on both sides or just on the glass portions, I have heard more then one opinion on this. Some state you need to seal at the lower side also, will this lend itself to creating stress crack on the fiberglass?

Appreciate some expert knowledge. Thanks in advance.
Gordeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should call Windshield Magic and talk to Jeff or Nonda. They are based in OR and now in Quartzite until April. They worked on our Dolphin replacing a split windshield and I think they know a lot about National install methods. I am sure they will discuss over the phone and give you advice.

800-560-8061 or 541-579-1229.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #3

windshield

Thanks, Called Jeff, I intend to set up an appointment with Nonda.

I live 200 miles from their business. but should be worth it.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
FYI- I just got two quotes in Yuma for replacing the rubber gasket on my Sea Breeze. One was $720, the other close to $1000. I think I’ll give those guys a call also.
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeff used our old gasket when replacing our glass. Did not use a lot of caulk, just silicone...as I remember.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
My glass is fine other than some small chips but the lower corners of the gasket are dry and cracked and pulling away from the glass. I have been caulking with silicone to hopefully avoid leaks and to keep the problem from getting worse. Unfortunately the glass has to be removed to replace the gasket and that’s why it is so expensive.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordeno View Post
Thanks, Called Jeff, I intend to set up an appointment with Nonda.

I live 200 miles from their business. but should be worth it.
just returned from having Jeff remove and re install my two windshield. Jeff did a great job. I would certainly recommend Window Magic. Be sure to get a reservation he is a busy guy.
He uses something other then silicone, poly urethxxx.

He prefers to use the original seals and bond it to the fiberglass and sparsely to the glass to allow movement.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordeno View Post
just returned from having Jeff remove and re install my two windshield. Jeff did a great job. I would certainly recommend Window Magic. Be sure to get a reservation he is a busy guy.

He uses something other then silicone, poly urethxxx.

He prefers to use the original seals and bond it to the fiberglass and sparsely to the glass to allow movement.

What was the cost of this if you don’t mind sharing?
Old 01-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #9

windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Wndsr View Post
What was the cost of this if you don’t mind sharing?
His price is based upon several factors,mine was easy, so I hate to use mine as a baseline.

Tags
dolphin, wind, windshield