Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Draining fresh water tank

Got a 1999 Tradewind 7370 and from whom we bought it put antifreeze in the fresh water tank and I have followed instruction on how to drain it but can not seem to get it all out or that it doesn't fully empty. Help as I do not like coffee made from PINK water. Is there a valve that is in the tank to empty this tank?
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:22 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my coach, there is a lever drain valve for the fresh water tank, in the bay just to the left of the entry door, up high, top right. I NEVER, repeat NEVER, drink or make food with water from my fresh water tank. If I have no city water connection, then I draw clean fresh water into two 1-gal jugs and I use that. Works for me. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #3

DW and I have been drinking from our fresh water tank for 25 years and it hasn't hurt us yet.

However, antifreeze flavored coffee is not real good. Fill the tank with fresh water and then drain it.

It might be a good idea to add 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of water. If you do, a second flush with clear water will get rid of the bleach taste.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We always drink our water from the fresh water tank. I sanitize the tank every spring by pouring 1 1/2 cups in the fresh water hose then hook to the faucet and fill our tank. Let is set for a few hours then drain and refill a couple of times.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #5

After you find the fresh water tank drain, you may have to tilt the coach to one side or the other to completely drain the tank. On my Discovery, sitting flat and level, there is a considerable amount left in the tank, but if I raise the front end the tank will almost drain completely. If I raise the driver side and the front the tank will drain completely! (I just back down my sloped driveway).
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Still trying to figure out how to drain the fresh water tank. Seems that the info I got so far has not helped me with the draining problem.

I know how to make coffee. and even after the 2nd cup I still can not figure out how it is to be drained.

The 2 valves near the door are for the water system but of no value to emptying the fresh water tank.

Still looking for an answer??????????????????
Old 05-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #7

You might have to use the fresh water pump to empty the tank .as I haven't found the drain plug on my unit yet 1999 Alpine Coach SDS36# 72170
Captncrunch
captncrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #8

"The 2 valves near the door are for the water system but of no value to emptying the fresh water tank."

Turn them both on and run the pump until the tank is empty, refill the tank and repeat until coffee tastes better - or make the coffee a bit stronger.

Like most sensible people trying not to waste money and non-renewable resources for no good reason (using precious fuel is different of course) we just drink whatever is in the tank. Just seems wrong to pay more for water than for fuel. If the supply seems a bit suss, I might add a tablespoon of plain bleach per 10 gallons as I fill the tank, but in nearly 8 years RVing in close to 30 countries, we have yet to have a health problem attributable to the water we drink
Old 05-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
took someones advice and opened the outside shower and ran the pump untill the foamy water stopped. Now I will put more water in with some bleach and repeat the process. But does seem strange that there is no fresh water drain, that I can find.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
took someones advice and opened the outside shower and ran the pump untill the foamy water stopped. Now I will put more water in with some bleach and repeat the process. But does seem strange that there is no fresh water drain, that I can find.
On the passenger side first bay from the front left top covered with
cover is the tank drain.
Lift MH with jacks so front is higher than rear and tilted towards the
passenger side then open the hot and cold taps and let drain.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Once I made the mistake of putting RV antifreeze in my 5er water tank. Never again almost impossible to get rid of the taste and smell, and the tank does have a bottom drain. If you haven't put the chlorine in yet I'd flush the tank with water a couple of time first.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:10 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
Got a 1999 Tradewind 7370 and from whom we bought it put antifreeze in the fresh water tank and I have followed instruction on how to drain it but can not seem to get it all out or that it doesn't fully empty. Help as I do not like coffee made from PINK water. Is there a valve that is in the tank to empty this tank?
It took me a while to find the lever in my 99 Tropical. Don't know if it is the same as the Tradewind.

In my water bay, in the upper right hand corner of the bay is a square hole. If you have the same, reach in there and see if you can find a handle. that is the lever for the low point drain.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
It took me a while to find the lever in my 99 Tropical. Don't know if it is the same as the Tradewind.

In my water bay, in the upper right hand corner of the bay is a square hole. If you have the same, reach in there and see if you can find a handle. that is the lever for the low point drain.
The low point drain on this TW is the outside shower in the water bay.
The tank drain is as I posted above that drains both 45 gallon water tanks.
The hot water tank should also be drained and flushed.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #14

I use the "poor man's" drain and winterizing technique... open up all tank and low point drains plus every faucet and then go for a drive on a rough road with lots of dips and swales. If it is going to get much below freezing, then I pump pink into the lines, but never the fresh tank. And yes, annual bleach and flush of the fresh water tank has worked for 8 rv's over 40 years and no one has had taste or gastric issues yet. I do use a carbon filter. A friend is paranoid enough to carry cases and gallons of commercial water for drinking and coffee. He has the money, but it seems a waste. Whatever.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water