Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 04:45 PM   #1

Driver License Requirements for RV

Can I drive my 2004 National Tropical T350 with my standard driver license?
surypap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 05:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by surypap3 View Post
I would suggest that you check the requirements for whatever state you live in. It varies state by state. If you are legal, classification wise in your state of residence, then that driver's license is valid no matter what state you drive through, even though a particular state might require a special license for their residents.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I would suggest that you check the requirements for whatever state you live in. It varies state by state. If you are legal, classification wise in your state of residence, then that driver's license is valid no matter what state you drive through, even though a particular state might require a special license for their residents.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
A quick google search answers your question.

"Select states require a non-commercial class B license to operate a class A or class C motorhome, either based on the motorhome’s GVWR or length. California requires a non-commercial class B license for motorhomes over 40’. Kansas, Maryland, North Carolina, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Wyoming require a non-commercial class B license for motorhomes with a GVWR over 26,000 lb. Illinois requires a non-commercial class B license for motorhomes over 16,000 lb."

All others you should be able to drive with the same license required to drive yoiur car.

That said, even if your state does not require a modified license to drive your Class A, if you are inexperienced driving a large profile vehicle I would suggest taking an RV Driving course.

I have had a class A CDL for most of my adult life. I have trained drivers for class B, (single unit over 26,000#) and class A, (any combination unit) including doubles, triples, tankers and buses. I thought teaching RV driving would be a good add on to my skills, so the first step was to take an RV Driving course. Even after several million miles driving everything I could lay my hands on, I was amazed how much I learned that was very specific to RV's.

Good luck and stay safe.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:37 PM   #5

VA requires a CDL for Vehicles in excess of 26,001# GVWR

Your 2004 National Tropical T350 has a GVWR of 27,910#

Need to check with YOUR Local VA DMV about your license requirement

Whatever Drivers License you end up with will be legal in all states
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

It appears I need meet CDL Class B requirements. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2022, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

I don’t think that is correct anymore. From Virginia’s website, it appears RV’s are excluded from needing a CDL endorsement.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...ion46.2-341.4/

"Commercial motor vehicle" means, except for those vehicles specifically excluded in this definition, every motor vehicle, vehicle or combination of vehicles used to transport passengers or property which either: (i) has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds; (ii) has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds inclusive of a towed vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds; (iii) is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver; or (iv) is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section. Every such motor vehicle or combination of vehicles shall be considered a commercial motor vehicle whether or not it is used in a commercial or profit-making activity.

The following are excluded from the definition of commercial motor vehicle:

1. Any vehicle when used by an individual solely for his own personal purposes, such as personal recreational activities;

And this website seems pretty good about the requirements of each state when it comes to drivers license, though I didn’t research it very well so far to tell how accurate it is.

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...-requirements/
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
It appears I need meet CDL Class B requirements. Thank you!
After further review it looks like VA exempts drivers of personal use over 26000 GVAW.

The following are excluded from the definition of commercial motor vehicle:

1. Any vehicle when used by an individual solely for his own personal purposes, such as personal recreational activities;
Old 05-22-2022, 08:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Yes. Us Virginians can drive our big motorhomes with no special training.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:08 PM   #10

Agree! Thank you
Old 05-22-2022, 07:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYoshida View Post
Yes. Us Virginians can drive our big motorhomes with no special training.
And "no special training" is what keeps forums like this going.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:47 AM   #12

Air Brakes and over 26,000 lbs CGVWR

It is one thing to get cited and parked for not having the proper driver license for your huge class A motorhome over 26k lbs. and air brakes... (as defined in Federal MV statutes)... it is another thing if/when your insurance company denies any claims after an incident because you didn't have a proper classification of licensure for that vehicle. If you want to take the risky chance of having to pay out (or get sued) for damages, on both yourself and the other driver, then go ahead and fly under the radar with fingers crossed... but best bet is go beyond the fear factor and just get a non-commercial RV CDL so you can sleep at night...
jboutelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:59 AM   #13

Yes you can but I’d check with your state first because every state is different as far as if you need a CDL license to drive it! [Moderator Edit]
Rhitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:28 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Advisable to Look Closer (at least in Texas)

For the first year of ownership I assumed I didn't need a special license (as a Texas resident). This was based on my review of the Texas CDL manual (first pic below). Then one day while waiting in the customer lounge at Cummins, another customer was apparently happy he had just received his Class B non commercial license. He decided to engage with me in a conversation to see if I too was qualified to drive my coach. I promptly informed him that it was not required. He corrected me Johnny on the spot. See second pic from Texas DPS website. Turns out Texas licensees do need the proper license for the weight class of their vehicle. Since not commercial, no CDL required. I got mine. Pretty easy to get.

I wasn't worried about a ticket. I was worried about the insurance and liability risks jboutelle points out above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	No you don't.png
Views:	25
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	367143

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yes you do.png
Views:	32
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	367144
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags