Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Driver’s side window screen repair

Good afternoon all….I have a 2004 National Sea Breeze, model 1341 and on the driver’s and passenger’s side windows, there are screens along with a glass that slides to the front…I’m pretty sure this is standard on most Class A motor homes….well, the screen on the driver’s side is in need of repair and I have NO IDEA how to get that screen out of the window (or even if it is possible to get it out) so I can fix it….it is a typical screen that has a frame with a groove around it for a rubber spline that holds the screen in place so it would be a simple repair if I can get it off the coach……that said, anybody ever took one of these out before to fix or clean them maybe?....if so, how did you do it?!!.....this thing really has me scratching my head over here…….

PS – There is no way to fix it while it’s on the coach because the glass overlaps the front of the screen by about 2 inches to I can't get to the spline….
-LB- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You push the screen frame up so the bottom will come out of the track.

Slide the window back so you can position the screen in the middle of the frame work.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #3

Hey Richard....thanks for such a quick reply....I thought of something like that and even tried prying it up and down thinking it would pop out similiar to a house window screen....of course I didn't pry on it very hard though cause I was scared of bending the frame....but, I am going to try again as you suggested by sliding it towards the middle of the frame work...I didn't slide it to the middle so maybe the track is shallower there which would allow it to pop out....when I get home this afternoon I'll look at it again and try....and of course, let everyone know how it went....THANKS!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #4

OK, I got back home and tried as you suggested Richard and it still won't come off....I slide the screen to the middle as you suggested and when I try to push the screen up, it only moves about 1/16" which isn't near enough to get it out of the track....I used a couple butter knives under it (yes butter knives were all I had near me at the time) and put some pretty good pressure on it and it still won't go up enough....it looked like the frame was beginning to bend so I stopped prying on it....have you done this or seen this done before?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Richard explained it correct. Mine comes out as described. Try the passenger window. It's the same. If it comes out easily, then you must have something in the upper track or one of the tension springs is broken.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #6

OK, so I tried the passenger's side window and it is the same....there just isn't enough movement up on either screen to get it out the lower track....as I mentioned, at best, it moves maybe 1/16"...maybe a hair more....I went back with the old butter knives and this time put a enough effort in it to bend the blade some....if I understand there are some tensioners at the top similiar to a typical screen found on any other window....when you pry it up, they give enough to allow the screen to be taken out the bottom track....if that's the case, all 4 of the tensioners must be bad, rusty up, broken or something....they slide well but just have no play in the up and down direction.....very odd this bird is turning out to be....
Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't lift from the bottom. Pinch it open from the top.

Stand in front (knees on the driver seat). Put your thumbs of each hand on the top of the window frame (the one above the screen that it slides in) and then your index and middle fingers curl under the top frame of the screen then pinch it up. This should raise the screen then just rotate the bottom out. If this does not work then try the same method but pinch one end at a time.

Hope you get this mental picture.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Don't lift from the bottom. Pinch it open from the top.

Stand in front (knees on the driver seat). Put your thumbs of each hand on the top of the window frame (the one above the screen that it slides in) and then your index and middle fingers curl under the top frame of the screen then pinch it up. This should raise the screen then just rotate the bottom out. If this does not work then try the same method but pinch one end at a time.

Hope you get this mental picture.
This works on my 97 Discovery. Just tried it out.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #9

Lots of great posts with great "explicit" details (good job nj!!) and thanks "wire" for checking your rig out and verifying the procedure....unfortunatly, still can't get them off....neither will budge.....I'm fairly certain now that there is some sort of problem with them...these things are pretty standard and on just about every coach I've seen so if it works for you guys, it should work for me....it's not really a problem but jus an eye sore for me and was on my "To Do" list so thought I try ask or recomendations to fix it....I may stop at a local RV shop next time I pass by and see if they can give me a quick lesson on them and get prices to replace them for when I take the sazall to them to get them out.....lol....
Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found this in an old thread, maybe this is how, he has a SeaBreeze

On the bottom of the frame inside is a plastic or nylon slider track. Open the window and screen, pull up on the track and slide it out from under the screenframe. This will give you room to remove and install the screen frame. You may need a pair of pliers to pull the slider up. After the screen is in slide the slider track in under the screen frame.
Good Luck

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Post #10 was what I had to do on my 01 Surfside and on a older Tioga that I had.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #12

I checked the screen on our '01 SurfSide and it won't move up either.

HOWEVER I noticed a very small black tang sticking down from the top middle of the slider in the closed position. Until I read the previous posts this morning I couldn't figure out what it might be. It was getting dark and I didn't want to do more without seeing things better.

Could it be that it's a removable slider track that's on top?
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The slider track on top is the same as the bottom, it will come out. the bottom track comes out and is easyer to reinstall.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #14

See sig. My driver side screen material was coming out . I was afraid I would bent/buckle the frame, so I used some wood and a small bottle jack to expand the opening enough to get the screen frame out and also to get it back in. Not fun with only two hands, but it worked. A scissor jack would also work. It only needs a little more space. Good luck.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, window