RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #1

electrical

I am having a problem with my 99 Tradewinds DP. Everything works fine on generator and 50 amp. When I plug in to 110 for storage to keep battery and fridge on I get no power. It worked for a week while I stayed in WV with a cousin then stopped. I do not have an inverter. Are the 3 switches in the transfer box one for generator one for 50 amp and one for 30. I have tapped the transfer switches to see if they are stuck. Hate to replace transfer box just for the 30 amp
any suggestion will be appreciated.

Alphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
What are you using to adapt the 50 amp shore cord to plug in to 30 amp or 15 amp outlet? The 50 amp shore cord has two hot leads, a neutral, and a ground. An adaptor should connect the one 30 or 15 amp hot in the outlet to BOTH hot leads in the 50 amp shore cord.

Use a multimeter to test the continuity in the shore cord plug and your adaptors, I think that's where the issue is.

The ATS switches the 50 amp power, which is two 50 amp hot contact points and one neutral. Is does nothing for different input amperages. If one of the hot contacts fails to close, it would cause half your 50 amp breaker panel to be dead, perhaps the side that has the refrigerator and converter/charger. Reset all breakers and test both sides of the breaker panel for power.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #3

electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
What are you using to adapt the 50 amp shore cord to plug in to 30 amp or 15 amp outlet? The 50 amp shore cord has two hot leads, a neutral, and a ground. An adaptor should connect the one 30 or 15 amp hot in the outlet to BOTH hot leads in the 50 amp shore cord.

Use a multimeter to test the continuity in the shore cord plug and your adaptors, I think that's where the issue is.

The ATS switches the 50 amp power, which is two 50 amp hot contact points and one neutral. Is does nothing for different input amperages. If one of the hot contacts fails to close, it would cause half your 50 amp breaker panel to be dead, perhaps the side that has the refrigerator and converter/charger. Reset all breakers and test both sides of the breaker panel for power.
Sorry for the long delay in answer. I have checked the power with meter and it gets power to were it plugs into MH, I use 50 to 30 then 30 to 15. It did work for a week then stopped when it tried a circuit.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphuse View Post
Sorry for the long delay in answer. I have checked the power with meter and it gets power to were it plugs into MH, I use 50 to 30 then 30 to 15. It did work for a week then stopped when it tried a circuit.
Did you mean 'fried' a circuit? Did you check for 120 v at both hots in the transfer switch? I suspect your 50 to 30 dogleg is not conducting power to both hots of the 50 amp service.

You also should check the 50 amp shore cord for through connection from plug to breaker panel. It's not uncommon to have a bad connection in the plug or adaptor. Those are cheap checks, a new transfer switch a lot more. I always try the cheap fix first.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-12-2016, 05:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Did you mean 'fried' a circuit? Did you check for 120 v at both hots in the transfer switch? I suspect your 50 to 30 dogleg is not conducting power to both hots of the 50 amp service.

You also should check the 50 amp shore cord for through connection from plug to breaker panel. It's not uncommon to have a bad connection in the plug or adaptor. Those are cheap checks, a new transfer switch a lot more. I always try the cheap fix first.
Everything works fine when on 50 amp service just need 15 amp when in storage for fridge and charger.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:36 AM   #6
mrk

Quote:
Everything works fine when on 50 amp service just need 15 amp when in storage for fridge and charger.
Just a thought: your 15 amp circuit wouldn't happen to be connected through a GFI circuit, would it? If the GFI trips anywhere along the line, you will lose your power. Not a fried circuit, just need to re-set the GFI and find out why it tripped. My 50 amp power cord got some moisture in the plug. It still worked fine on an unprotected circuit, but would trip a GFI. It almost drove me nuts until I figured it out.
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
You still haven't mentioned the results of testing the 50 to 30 amp dog leg adaptor. Both of the hot leads on the 50 amp end should show continuity with the single hot lead of the 30 amp side. Since you said 50 amp service worked when connected to 50 amp pedestal, the only place the power could be dropping out is in the 50~30 amp adaptor. The 30~15 amp adaptor is working or no power would come through at all.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
You still haven't mentioned the results of testing the 50 to 30 amp dog leg adaptor. Both of the hot leads on the 50 amp end should show continuity with the single hot lead of the 30 amp side. Since you said 50 amp service worked when connected to 50 amp pedestal, the only place the power could be dropping out is in the 50~30 amp adaptor. The 30~15 amp adaptor is working or no power would come through at all.
Have replaced the 50/30 and the 30/15 even though they checked good. The new ones still did not work so I took them back. I get 110 from outlet to plug on MH but not power inside except when plugged in to 50 amp or gen.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #9
mrk

Quote:
Have replaced the 50/30 and the 30/15 even though they checked good. The new ones still did not work so I took them back. I get 110 from outlet to plug on MH but not power inside except when plugged in to 50 amp or gen.
Are you saying that, with all the adapters connected to the standard wall outlet, you have 110 volts AC at the end of the heavy cord that goes into the connection on the TW? If so, do you have 110 volts at both "hot" terminals on the heavy cord?
If you have 110 volts at both 'hot' terminals in the cord (and check them with both the Neutral and the Ground terminals, just to make certain that you don't have a bad ground or Neutral wire), then the problem would seem to be between the terminals on the plug (where you connect the heavy cord onto the TW) and it's connection in the transfer case. I'd suggest using an Ohm meter to see how much resistance is in each connection, and look for a reading that is out of line with the other readings. Of course, you will not be connected to any power source while checking this.
If you notice any terminal or contact that appears burnt, try cleaning it.
One other thought I had was that maybe you haven't twisted the connection between the heavy cord and TW far enough to make a good connection.
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
It's possible that the no power condition is caused by the neutral contact on the auto transfer switch is not closing and conducting power.

A 120 v 15 amp outlet has a hot, neutral, and ground, just as a 30 amp outlet. When putting the adaptors on the 50 amp shore cord, the single hot has to be divided to supply power to both hot legs of the 50 amp cord. If your plug on the shore cord has a bad neutral connection, or the ATS has a bad neutral contact, power won't flow.

Using a multimeter set on Ohms, you can test the continuity of the connections by dragging the plug end of shore cord to the proximity of the ATS. Check that there is a connection of each of the 4 wires from the plug to the ATS. If it shows everything is connected, then you can plug in the shore cord, wait for the 'clunk' sound of connection, then CAREFULLY check that electricity is coming out of the ATS going towards the breaker panel. If that checks out and still no power, take the cover off the breaker panel and test for electricity coming into the panel. If that shows power, you have bad breakers.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #11
mrk

Alphuse, did you find out what the problem was?
Old 09-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
Alphuse, did you find out what the problem was?
Not yet I get it out of storage tonight and will check it out leaving Thursday for a short trip.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Not yet I get it out of storage tonight and will check it out leaving Thursday for a short trip.
Took it out this week, the campsite had 30amp and everything worked fine, plugged in the 15amp and still could not get power. Home now and will check it out more before i put it in storage. I use 15amp while in storage to keep batteries charged and fridge on is why I want 15 amp to work.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Took it out this week, the campsite had 30amp and everything worked fine, plugged in the 15amp and still could not get power. Home now and will check it out more before i put it in storage. I use 15 amp when in storage to charge batteries and run fridge is why I want the 15amp to work.

Tags
electrical