Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2021, 01:07 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Electrical repair Greenville SC area

Hello.
Still cannot figure out why I cannot get power from my generator to turn on my AC or other 110 power items. 2000 National Tradwinds 7371 still in Greenville, SC. Looking for a trusted place to take it or mobile mechanic. Tried Richards RV repair but they do not have an appointment to get me in until 8-30 and estimating well into september before they can have the rig back. Any suggestions I would appreciate.
Thank you. A little frustrated. Just purchased and power went out after 1 night of camping only after my flooding fiasco. 😔😔😔😔😔
Chinadoll13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2021, 01:24 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
If North of Greenville call
"Keep on Camping RV Repair based in Flat Rock NC

They will come to just North of Greenville or they can tell you where to meet them
828-708-5959
Old 07-31-2021, 01:33 PM   #3

What troubleshooting have you done?
Old 08-01-2021, 01:15 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The loss of A/C 110 - 120 volts could be tripped breaker(s) on generator or a problem with the transfer switch or main breaker tripped in the breaker panel inside coach. Will take someone that knows how to troubleshoot electrical problems.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:04 AM   #5

check breaker on the generator itself. and as mentioned check breakers in panel.
inbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I have minimal electrical experience but this is a good thing as it is forcing me to learn more. We have checked the breakers switched all of them off and back on. We hace a battery cable from the positive on one battery to the Solenoid and that lets the battery connect button light up and give 12v power. The generator comes on but will not power ac or microwave on. If I plug in with no generator on the ac will come on but of course shut off because plugged in to an outlet at my friends workshop. He is an electrical engineer so he understands better than I. He is not versed with RV's like me. I appreciate you all taking the time to help. I believe it is something that will be an easy fix, we just don't know enough about everything. He is looking over the BCC WEBSITE and the things related to national class a motor coaches.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #7

Nothing "RV" about the 120/240 VAC system on your coach-- same as house power (assuming your coach is 50 amp): Two hots L1 and L2, a neutral and a ground.

There are two breakers ON the generator. Turn them off and back on.

Next place to check (your electrical engineer friend with his voltmeter) is the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). Just remove the lid. You will see two cables on the IN side and one on the OUT side to the main 120 VAC breaker panel.

Check for power IN from shore power when plugged in. Check for power IN from generator when it has been running for at least a few minutes.

Let us know what you find.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Check the generator terminal block

I had a similar issue on my 2000 Tradewinds with Onan 7500 -- over time, screws in the terminal block had loosened. This allowed intermittent connection and Lots of arcs that severely burned the block and the ends of several wires. I replaced the block, cut back and re-crimped the burned ends, and reconnected all back to perfect working order.

Mine was under a cover at the front-right edge -- it should be near a flex conduit
mgambalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
As the previous reply stated, I had a problem with the genny in our old coach, ours wasn't a power problem but a running problem, turned out to be the temp sensor. "But" while I was changing the temp sensor and taking all the exterior panels off of my 7500 Onan Quiet Diesel I found the main connections on the "Right Front" of the generator (pass front) (and that's assuming you have a front diesel generator). On mine all the connections were loose, never had a power problem surprisingly enough but I sure as he!! tightened those connections while I was in there. Then on our New To Us coach I made sure I checked those connections on it as well.
These beasts rumbling down the road shaking and vibrating will shake anything loose if it can, so be diligent and go around and check and make sure all the connection on and in your RV are tight. Good routine maintenance.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have any power at all from the generator? If not it may need to be re flashed. It is very simple to do. Mine did the same thing and I re flashed it and it worked like a champ.
When you start the generator, do not release the start button once it starts. Continue to hold in for 5 seconds the release. This may sound odd, however it works to restore power. Hope this helps.
Covelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Hello to everyone who has chimed in to help me with this issue. I am happy to report a month later the problem is fixed!! It was the battery disconnect switch. The folks at RV Custom parts were great walking us through troubleshooting to confirm the issue. Had a mobile technician come out and install. Everything is working fine. Well on exception. The dash stereo will only come on when the battery disconnect switch has been clicked on. Will just have to live with that until I have time to figure it out.

Just wanted to let you all I so appreciate all of your help! God Bless!
Old 09-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadoll13 View Post
Hello to everyone who has chimed in to help me with this issue. I am happy to report a month later the problem is fixed!! It was the battery disconnect switch. The folks at RV Custom parts were great walking us through troubleshooting to confirm the issue. Had a mobile technician come out and install. Everything is working fine. Well on exception. The dash stereo will only come on when the battery disconnect switch has been clicked on. Will just have to live with that until I have time to figure it out.

Just wanted to let you all I so appreciate all of your help! God Bless!
Thank you for letting us know you've got your problem fixed. So many times that last chapter is missing from these stories.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:16 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your dash stereo is powered by the house battries, this is correct
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:41 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Thank you. It was driving me crazy! I guess they assumed you would be powering the coach while riding down the road��
Rhoda

Tags
air, electric, electrical, repair