Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2021, 11:05 AM   #1

Electrical shut off while putting in storage

I have a new to us 2008 Pacifica pc40e motor home and see that the coach batteries are shut off at a master by the steps but would also like to be able to shut down the chassis batteries and see that there are 2 50 amp (or appear to be 50 amp) master type switches in the battery compartment which is in the furthest back compartment on the passenger (curb side). Does anyone know if these will shut down both of the chassis batteries? thanks.... Jon....
W0JON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #2

Starter motors draw a few hundred amps while cranking engines. The 2 breakers may switch off some stuff but not all of it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #3

I put a manual disconnect switch on the chassis battery of my Dolphin.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:10 PM   #4

I use a wrench to remove the ground and positive cable from each set of batteries. I then use a “smart” charger to keep the batteries properly charged.
Easy Peasy and peace of mind.
ccxnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:19 PM   #5

There are 3 59 amp marine breakers connected to the positive sides of the chassis batteries (have 2 chassis batteries) the issue I have is they should have had 1 50 amp marine breaker on the first negative cable. Seeing they are in the positive side those breakers still allow voltage to probably 3 other positive cables that don’t go through the breakers. Anyone with a 2008 Pacifica pc40e MH have any idea if there is a cleaverly hidden master switch for the chassis. There is a master switch for the coach batteries???? Of course the 2 chassis batteries are not on slide out trays and the negative posts are the back posts under the slide out tray with the 4 coach batteries. :(
Old 12-02-2021, 08:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The only sure fire way to make sure there is no parasitic draw on either your house or chassis batteries is to take the ground cable off all the batteries.

Shut offs or switches may or may not disconnect everything. If storing in a location without any power available, disconnect the batteries. Don't worry about the switches.

I've never understood the lengths people will go and the mental gymnastics about taking the battery cables off. When it's time to reconnect, that is the perfect time to take all them off and clean and check. Gotta do it once a year anyway.

The other thing I've never understood is all the worry when you have 120v available. Why not just check the battery condition, and plug the coach in and let the convertor do it's job. All this trickle charger extension cord crap should be a non issue.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:08 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I did the same as CamJam1 - switch on the ground wire of the chassis battery. Was very easy and works great.

Al
Old 12-03-2021, 09:28 AM   #8

I do understand that taking the cable off of the ground side is the only way to get rid of any parasitic draws.... this is the first motorhome that I have had that only has a battery disconnect for only the coach batteries and it is by the entry door.... all others I have had (which is 5) have had both a Coach and Chasis disconnect. I do not have power at the storage site or I would have it plugged in to keep the chargers keeping the batteries topped off.... so I have not heard from anyone with a Pacifica I will assume that they do not have a chasis disconnect and will put a Marine disconnect breaker on the negative side if the weather cooperates .... I am in northern Minnesota and weather is not the most balmy ..... thanks for those that responded and maybe there is just a Pacifica forum as it is an orphan and I had a Tour Master which also was an orphan (except gulf stream is still in business where as National is not)... I have even created a circuitry on my boats and pontoons to switch from starting batteries, to electonic batteries, to trolling motor batteries depending on the charge needed to keep them topped off whether via shore line or via alternator but I also made it so that the starting motor battery would always be at 12.8 volts by shedding the other battery sources, so I do know the intricacies of charging systems, I enjoy challenges so this is just another one) thanks again....
Old 12-08-2021, 12:27 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Where did you find the information about how to install a disconnect switch? I have a national tradewinds 2000. Thanks.
Chinadoll13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #10

STETION 50 Amp Circuit Breaker google... just put it on the ground side of either the first or last 12 volt battery and push the red button shut off the circuit or push the lever up to activate the circuit... (doesn't have to be from Stetion as there are several companies.. even MinnKota)
Old 12-10-2021, 05:38 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Thank you.
Chinadoll13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:53 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Chassis batteries will draw far more than 50A while cranking. Heck, I think the grid heaters alone are more than 50A.
Use a battery disconnect switch rated for several hundred amps. I see one on that popular online purchasing site listed for 200A continuous, 1000A intermittent, and you can get two for $13.29. It even has a removable key type lever. Put it inline with your favorite battery terminal; negative or positive won't matter, but usually negative is easier simply because there are not several cables tied to it - just the one. If you have two chassis batteries in parallel, you might as well get two of these and put one on each battery, just in case you ever need to isolate one of the batteries.
This is pretty straight forward basic electricity stuff here... not rocket surgery.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, storage