Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2020, 04:52 AM   #1

Emergency start button

Feel like I should know the answer to my own question, but I have this problem with every RV I've owned. Even though I have the couch battery switch off, ( nothing 12v should be on ), after a week of not being plugged in, I have to use the emergency start button to start my 03 sea breeze. I even installed a tender on the start battery on this rig, but still, after a week, dead battery???? It charges right up and seems to hold a charge.

Jim in Chilo, OH.
2003 National Sea Breeze
Jimbmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2020, 06:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The house battery switch doesn't usually disconnect the chassis/start battery so any phantom loads like the radio and engine computer will continue to draw it down.

Since you said you connected a maintainer the question to answer is if it's really maintaining the chassis battery. It could be the phantom loads are too much for it, the battery is drawn down too far for a maintainer to bring back up, or the point you're connecting it really isn't directly across the battery. Monitoring things with a voltmeter over a few days should reveal what's going on.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:45 AM   #3

emergency start button

Thanks Mark for the reply, the maintainer does the job, it fires right up when plugged in, is this normal ? any one else having this issue? I do notice my radio clock stays on, I have a radio acc rocker switch, you would think that would kill the power to the radio, sounds like someone before me has been rewiring etc.

Jim from Chilo, OH.
2003 Sea Breeze
Old 01-14-2020, 04:09 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I put a battery disconnect switch on the negative side of my chassis (engine) battery on my 06 SeaBreeze, and since then it's never drained, even after 6 or 7 weeks of sitting. Before that it would last 2, maybe 3 weeks and I'd need the battery boost to start.

Al
FLRosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello, I have a 2004 Dolphin had similar troubles if it sat too long. I installed battery disconnects on all three battery negative terminals. Now no problems and I can isolate and control if needed. I could Get a pic for you if needed.
The computer and lots of stuff rubs otherwise like carbon monoxide detector etc.
Ukulele doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:08 AM   #6

emergency start button

Thanks guys for the reply!! Perko, here I come! installed one on my boat, why not RV, you would think that would be a standard accessory.
You just have to love this site!!

Jim, Chilo, OH.
2003 Sea Breeze, v10
Old 02-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
The yellow wire on the back of the radio is the memory wire. It is connected directly to the batteries. You can cut it and install a 9v battery connector to maintain the memory. The 9v battery will last about a year.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote