Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Engine Won't Start, etc.

We own a 2000 National Tradewinds RV and have had it in storage during the past 4 months. It has been extremely cold here in Atlanta this winter and when we went to start the engine yesterday, it wouldn't crank over. We opened the fuel cockpit on the filter to let the water out and no fuel came out. When cranking the engine again, we went back to check fuel filter, opened the cockpit, there was a gurgling air bubble noise. Camping World says we lost our prime. Question...is there a manual fuel pump on the CAT 300HP engine or is it an electric pump? Where is the pump located and how would you prime it? Unfortunately, we didn't use fuel conditioner and Camping World says the fuel may have algae. Is that possible and would that cause engine not to start? Can I still use the fuel in the tank? We appreciate any answers you can give us.

Thanks in advance for your help,
(Frustrated) RV Dreamer
rv dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
It is not likely that you have algae in the winter. That would not make your fuel not run out of the fiilter. You probably lost prime.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 3126B CAT 300hp there is a small hand pump sitting on top of the engine, front, near the little fuel filter, that is used to purge the fuel line of air when the little filter (or any fuel filter) is replaced. I've never used it so I cannot tell you how. It looks pretty simple (viewing from top under the bed). Service people use it all the time. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #4

The C7 Cat you have more then likley has no ele fuel pump it relys on a lift pump in the hue pump. Not like normal diesel motors the C7 has no injection pump it works on a high preasuer oil pump to fire the injectors. Also no manuel pump to regain prim. Easy to tell if you have this system just look at the engin for a normal injection system with 6 lines on it if not there you have a hue pump. Now Camping world has no idea what there talking about. Now when you say " wouldn't crank over" ya mean the thing wouldn't turn over or it was and wouldn't start. My C7 had 2 issues the first one was looping, sounded like it was burping. No codes showed it would start up but burped at idel and was smooth at high idel. That turned out to be the hue pump. Second time the thing started up then died because someone opened the fuel filter pedcock and it lost prime. No way could I get it started, finley called my cat guy and he said he would get it going. Well he didn't and it turned out to be the lift pump in the hue pump. Ya should replace the filter then try it if it dosn't start get a real diesel guy because your just going to go nuts. If there is a primer pump on the injection pump then its a whole different bird. Just change the filter and crack a few injector lines and pump till ya get fuel up to the injectors them it should fire right up. I hope I didn' confuse ya. 2 different fuel supply systems on a diesel.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
You have a 3126B engine C7's did not appear until 2004.
As Rook stated you should have a prime pump at the engine on top of the fuel filter
and as I recall on top of that filter is a bleed screw that you loosen so you can pump
the air out of the system.
It will take several pumps to clear the system.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You definitely have the 3126B and in 2000 I believe they still had 2 filters and the priming pump. My 2001 has one filter and the engine is supposed to self prime when cranking, although I've never had to try this.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on your low temperatures the fuel could have gelled. If you've never used a priming pump, unscrew it (counter clockwise) and start pumping, you can open the bleed screw if you want but normally isn't necessary. In a while you should feel a difference in the feel of the pump. Keep pumping until till the pumping gets firm. Screw the pump back in, try to start engine. If you were successful the engine will run, but rough at first. Hold the RPM's at around 1000 - 1200 for several minutes. The easiest way we found to prime CAT 3412 12 cylinder engines was to crank the engine and pump the primer as fast as we could till the engine started.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the advice!

Thanks, Everyone, for your advice! I was successful in getting the engine primed and it worked like a champ just like you said.

Couldn't have done it without your help,
RV Dreamer
rv dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote