Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2020, 01:19 AM   #1

Everything shut down while driving

need a little help. while getting ready to take my 2000 National Islander on a trip I was driving on freeway to top off fuel tank. Running about 65 mph and thinking how well this old RV was driving when an alarm sounded and before I could scan the gauges, complete shutdown. Engine shutdown, all electrical shut off. Managed to coast down an exit ramp off the highway. Went to Battery compartment looking for obvious problem and noticed a burnt spot on power distribution panel.A chip on the lower left side of the panel had melted down. I have replaced the panel and inverter and will be replacing all the batteries. I have not yet determined what caused the melt down on the panel or why the motor shut down or how the two issues are conected. requested a schematic of the panel which shows the circuit is related to the generator and jack pump, neitherof which were in use at the time of the incident. I have found no bad wiring or other obvious problems. Hard to determine the problem with out applying power to the system or knowing where to look. my concern is burning up a new distribution panel. Any suggestions besides having it towed somewhere. Small town and local knowledge is limited, also bad experience with frightliner in Ft Worth. Any help would be appreciated
jawalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 08:42 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

2000 F/L chassis , wiring diagrams and schematics might still be available from the Freightliner free help line , call with your chassis serial number. 1-800-385-4357

Because you mention a power distribution in the rear and mine (99 F/L) is in the front the wiring info I have probably no good for you.

One thing that our chassis might have in common is a manual re-set circuit breaker on the frame behind the battery box , follow the battery positive cable to find it.

Anything else , if you can post a picture maybe we can help you out.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:46 AM   #3

Thanks and update

Wanted to thank those who provided some input and update this thread. After an exhaustive examination of wiring and compoents, I found nothing to explain the cause of melted chip on circuit board of power distribution panel and system shutdown. I completed replacement of power distribution panel, lnv/con and all batteries. Also reset all breakers and replaced all fuses. Crossed my fingers and turned the key. Power at the dash and then none. checked the battery compartment and everything was still intact. Turned the key, dash powered up,this time I heard a relay engage and power stayed on. Things appeared to be normal, egaged start and engine cranked and fired off. Several systems were not functional, ac, refrigerator, monitor panel for tanks but after going through restart procedures these systems came on. It appears the coach is back and ready to roll down the highway. Wait, fuel running out on the ground, ruptured fuel line to generator. Replaced fuel line, know she is ready. Although I was not able to determine the exact cause I feel confident that it was corrected. I am leaning towards a short in the inv/conv. Changover from shore power to generator to coach batteries was flawless.Again thanks for input, all is well and am expecting a good test run tomorrow.
jawalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:07 PM   #4

How did the test run go? Everything good?