RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Everything works but shorepower and propane. not good start :(

Picking your knowledgeble brains one more time.

1998 National Dolphin gasser- 110v fine when on genny, pulled into park for first time with 30amp shore power. Unplugged genny, plugged in 30amp and worked fine for about an hour then switched over to battery. I have no idea where circuit breakers are (no books), but dw found a rocker switch marked "shore power" (she thinks) on the genny and flipped it. seened to work but now switched back to batteries and has run down the house batteries. I tried the switch on the genny but no effect. Where should I check for circuit breakers? Any help appreciated.

second question: Filled up the LP tank before going down to the camp site for maiden voyage. The guy wasn't real confident what he was doing but got the tank finally filled up to about 90%. I told him I saw somewhere not to fill up above 80% but he assured me no problem. When I got to campsite and setup (this was before the shore power problems), turned on the valve by the tank, then went inside but not getting an gas at the stove. (havent checked the water heater, but that's next on the list). Is there another valve that needs turned on? What happens if the tank is overfilled?? wish I had some books. grrrr.

Thanks again for everybody's patience-
Bud

bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well it could have a propane safety switch on inside? Look around close to floor sometimes they put them down under kit sink cabinet. It has to be turned on and sometimes reset for propane to flow to appliances . Look it all closets and below bed everywhere u can for breaker panel. And maybe if u hadn't already do a search online to see if u can download a manual for it

genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
Well it could have a propane safety switch on inside? Look around close to floor sometimes they put them down under kit sink cabinet. It has to be turned on and sometimes reset for propane to flow to appliances . Look it all closets and below bed everywhere u can for breaker panel. And maybe if u hadn't already do a search online to see if u can download a manual for it
Thanks gensimmons,
I'm going over after work and will look for the safety switch.
...and the panels.

Will give a full report tomorrow morning.

Thanks again-
Bud
Old 10-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #4

Bud

Most coaches have a LP gas monitor located in the hallway along the floor. They are designed to detect gas and shut off propane. Be sure yours has power to it and is turned on. That is what genesimmons is referring to. They operate a solenoid valve at the propane tank.

How new is your batteries and are they in good shape? That may be causing both your problems. Just a thought
Old 10-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

Your propane tank also has an internal safety that will turn off the propane if it flows too fast, it will sometimes engage if the valve is opened too fast. Turn the gas off at the tank wait awhile and slowly turn it back on ( it has caught me a couple of times)

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradodude View Post
Bud

Most coaches have a LP gas monitor located in the hallway along the floor. They are designed to detect gas and shut off propane. Be sure yours has power to it and is turned on. That is what genesimmons is referring to. They operate a solenoid valve at the propane tank.

How new is your batteries and are they in good shape? That may be causing both your problems. Just a thought
Thanks coloradodude for the response.

My batteries are new- I replaced the chasis and house batteries about a week ago but was on genny at my storage lot running power off genny and everything worked fine. When I turned genny off, within a couple of hours, the house batteries drained and the LP gas monitor started going off. (the LP tank was dry at that time). The same thing happened again the next day.

I reserved a campground spot with 30amp shore service so filled up the LP tank and plugged into shore power. (disconnected the cable from genny and plugged into shore power) and got AC and watched TV for about an hour. I opened the valve on the LP tank but didn't get any gas to the stove, so turned the valve OFF and went back in and within an hour, the LP alarm went off again and my house batteries were depleted. I believe that the ac went off and switched to house batteries and when they depleted, then the LP alarm went off. Looks like flat batteries and LP alarms are related?

I'm going nuts- I'm sure there's a perfectly valid reason for all this, but glad I didn't hop in and take off for florida without a shakedown cruise.

Thanks again,
Bud
Old 10-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
Your propane tank also has an internal safety that will turn off the propane if it flows too fast, it will sometimes engage if the valve is opened too fast. Turn the gas off at the tank wait awhile and slowly turn it back on ( it has caught me a couple of times)

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Wow Elf111... that sounds too easy to be the answer but I really-really hope that works. I'll try that tonight when I get off work. THANKS
Bud
Old 10-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #8

Hi Bud,

Everything may be related to one issue, your battery state of charge. Do you have a meter that reads the house battery voltage? I need to know the voltage on the house battery under the following conditions:

1. When the engine is off, no shore power and no generator.
2. When the engine is running, generator off and no shore power.
3. With the generator running, no shore power and engine off.
4. About 5 minutes after you plug into shore power, no generator, engine off.

Please seperate these tests by about 15 minutes each. I'll be here to help.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
Hi Bud,

Everything may be related to one issue, your battery state of charge. Do you have a meter that reads the house battery voltage? I need to know the voltage on the house battery under the following conditions:

1. When the engine is off, no shore power and no generator.
2. When the engine is running, generator off and no shore power.
3. With the generator running, no shore power and engine off.
4. About 5 minutes after you plug into shore power, no generator, engine off.

Please seperate these tests by about 15 minutes each. I'll be here to help.

Larry
Larry, thanks so much for jumping in.
I do have a meter and will get those reading for you tonight.

Not sure about the shore power. I don't think it's working but will take the readings as you asked for.

Thanks again!
Bud
Old 10-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Did you bleed the air out of your propane lines? Turn on your propane, go to the stove and turn on the valve while trying to light the stove. It may take awhile for the gas to reach the stove.

What kind of batteries did you install? Were they deep cycle batteries or regular car type batteries?

Jim Anderson
1997 Tropical
Jeep Liberty
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ok, I think I've found the problem.

The previous owner had installed a timer between the shore power and converter (just bbeside the converter). I disconnected the timer and plugged the converter directly to the shore power and every thing started working including the propane stove.

I think the timer died in the OFF position, so whenever the batteries ran down, then the LP sensor started alarming and shut off the LP and all electrical died. Looks like all the batteries are charging now so I'm (knocking on wood) much closer to getting everything where I want now.

One last question,
Was the original owner correct in thinking a timer is needed before the converter to prevent over charging the house batteries? If so, I'll buy another one but what would be the recommended time to have the converter working??

I know, that was two quesitons.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well it might over charge if left plugged up all the time? But replacing timer is up,to you

genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, propane