Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exterior Yellowing

Recently after a good cleaning and application of Red Max Pro it seems to have brought out the difference in the white areas of the flat sidewalls verses the end caps and basement doors. The sidewalls are now a "cream" color and the other areas are very white. Anyone else experence this? Any possible and reasonable fixes? 2005 Sea Breeze. Unpainted but has graphics.
BobaLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before I applied RMP I used soft scrub with bleach to whiten best as possible, but still have some yellowing compared to end caps.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #3

This is one reason I'm not a fan of using RMP rather than Poli Glow. I don't know what the cleaning solution is that's part of the Poli Glow Kit, but it is formulated to chemically strip everything from the pores of the fiberglass. THIS IS THE KEY TO GETTING A UNIFORM COLOR. Abrasives, degreasers and bleach will not do this. Yes the RMP is less expensive, however, its made for floors. My way of thinking is that, for that purpose it won't have UV resistant properties and may change color.....I could be wrong on that. All I know is, I used PoliGlow, and my 97 Seabreeze is bright white all over, and has a shine that you can read a newspaper from..and I haven't put this year's "maintenance coat" on. If it were me, I would strip it off, order a Poli Glow kit, clean it with the supplied cleaner and get the color uniform again, and re-coat it. BTW, I am in no way associated with Poli Glow even though I sound like a commercial for it.... but I've used it on my own coach and can attest to how great a product it is, and the fantastic results. LOL !
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for you for your input rvguy. I wonder, though, in my case, the endcaps and basement doors appear to be made different then the flat sidewall panels. Molded perhaps? And I suspect that might have something to do with a different aging process? The sidewalls were not as oxidized (sp?) as all those other parts. I was assuming the sidewalls had darken but it could be possible that the other parts have gotten lighter, bleached out. BTW this was the first application of the RMP.
BobaLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #5

that occured to me as well when I shut the computer off and laid down for the night... LOL Its possible that the two gelcoats are just slightly diffent colors.....but I would try and strip just those areas and use the Ploi Glow cleaner on it.. it should even the color out enough that its less noticeable. My guess is, that if its two different types of gelcoat, perhaps the pores in it are a bit larger and maybe holding more wax/dirt ? I dunno..... it's be worth a try though.....on a side note, I'm going to be over your way camping next weekend in Dellwood at Trails End campground.. muscle car show and NC state BBQ champs are cooking dinner at the campground Saturday evening...I'm taking the parents..LOL
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Hi there.... I use protect all oxidation remover and color restorer on my firberglass every couple of years, it does a good job of removing the oxidation and bringing a shine to the fiberglass, however it only slightly removes yellowing, I think the yellowing is natural aging of the fiberglass and cannot be reversed entirely, only managed...I wax mine two to three times a year as well to help stop the sun damage.White paint and a clear coat might be your only answer.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an 05 Dolphin and the end caps and cargo doors are whiter than the sides. It's a differant kind of fiberglass. The sides are made from fiberglass cloth and the end caps and doors are made from a fiberglass matting. The type of reson used can make a differance too.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote