Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2017, 06:04 AM   #1

First outing

My wife and I are about to do a practice run in our front yard this weekend. This will be the first time spending the night in our rig. We are doing this so we can have a better understanding of our needs and power consumption be for we go running off a hundred miles away. We plan on doing this for the next two weekends. Several questions:

I still don't understand this inverter thing. Can anyone help?

Is it ok to run the generator throughout the night and run one of the cooling units?

Can I run the generator with out the inverter?

My driveway is black top. Can we use the jack stands as long as we place pads underneath them?

I am having a 50 amp outlet and breaker installed next week. Can I leave the rig plugged into that until we get ready to move it?

Thanks so much for any and all assistance.
jonesdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2017, 06:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats

The inverter is for supplying 110 volts off of your batteries

Yes you can run the generator all night but when out and about most places have quiet hours.

Yes you can run the generator without the inverter on. Only need the inverter on if you want 110 volts when not plugged and/ or the generator is not running

Yes you can use jacks on blacktop if you have displacement pads

Yes you can leave the rig plugged in for lights etc and to keep the batteries maintained

Have fun!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #3

Thank you so much. I have ordered some of the rubber pass for the stands. Since I will be doing a trial this weekend in my front yard I can run the generator. The only neighbors that can complain would be the deer. Just so I understand. My generator will supply the 110 with out the inverter
Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Most rigs will run one A/C unit off of 110 from your house. You need adapter plugs or dog bones to convert your cord from your 50a down to 30a then down to 20a (110 household plug). You will want to carry these with you at all times anyway for when you run into RV parks or places to stay that only have 30a or 20a (110).

Don't forget once you start leaving it plugged in all the time to maintain your batteries, you'll need to check them and top them off with distilled water about once a month.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since these are "practice" camping trips, I would suggest that you only run your generator (if needed) till 8 or 9 pm; similar to what a campground would allow. After all, you are looking for "a better understanding of our needs and power consumption", right?

As for A/C, usually cooling it down till 8 or 9 pm will be sufficient to remain comfortable throughout the rest of the night, unless it is really hot in your location. Of course, if you are planning on camping with full hookups, then power consumption as well as fresh & waste water management becomes a non-issue.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for the advice. We will definitely apply it this weekend. Have a great weekend.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some campgrounds won't let you run the generator at all if they have electrical hookups. Since the OP is in his front yard, no problem unless the neighbors complain.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Some campgrounds won't let you run the generator at all if they have electrical hookups. Since the OP is in his front yard, no problem unless the neighbors complain.
Agreed, but in that case (campground with full hookups) power consumption is a non-issue anyway. Perhaps the OP is just wanting to replicate camping in a full hookup campgound; and it seems his neighbors are far enough away that it won't bother them.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Before I ran the generator all night I would make sure that I had a CO detector that works properly. If the wind or air flow is just right you could have fumes can get inside. Just another thing to consider.
onecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
First outing

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecb View Post
Before I ran the generator all night I would make sure that I had a CO detector that works properly. If the wind or air flow is just right you could have fumes can get inside. Just another thing to consider.

X2
I have 2 installed along with the stock unit. One at rear bedroom and one up front where generator exhaust is located. Gas generators tend to output more than the diesel but both can be lethal.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecb View Post
Thanks. That was the second thing I checked after we bought it.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Getting technical with CO.....most detectors only sound off at levels which are high enough to permit you to breath fumes....without symptoms....for a long time. Not good. You can buy battery powered CO detectors which detect fumes at MUCH LOWER levels. Expensive....but good insurance.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #13

Good point. I will invest in one today. Thank you.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #14

Practice camping in the driveway is a good plan to get a feel for things. However, I'd suggest after a couple nights doing that you move the the closest actual campground and give that a few night too. The driveway is a good start but it's a lot different from an actual CG.

We usually go off on 2-3 month trips. We always start off with 2 nights 10 miles down the road. Far enough to be "gone" but close enough to run home and get the things we forgot.