Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #1

Fluid in Power Gear Leveling system

Hey guys and gals! I'm new to irv and I am already amazed by all the info on the site. I have a 2001 National Sea Breeze that I need a little help with. It has a power gear leveling system that worked until yesterday. I raised the jacks and my alarm went off letting me know there was a jack down which wasn't the case. So I did some research on this and found that the fluid level is probably the issue. My question is will the fluid being low completely stop the pump from working? I tried to cycle the jacks to see if I could get the alarm to go off but they wont move up or down now. I can hear the solenoid click but no action.
Is there another issue that I'm not seeing?
Thanks
Camperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Difficult to say at this point. You need to add fluid, however the "normal" refill is with the jacks retracted. I would add enough fluid to retract, then top-off, when they are fully retracted.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:15 PM   #3

Retracted you up? Or extended out? They are fully up now and I’m fixing to check the levels.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If it's just fluid level I've been told you can pull the sensor it's a simple float switch.

It would be better if you just add ATF fluid to the tank. It's nothing too special just Type A Dexron III or Mercon IV. Any auto parts store or Walmart would have it in stock.

I have a small seal leak in one of my jacks and carry the fluid with me.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Camperking, you commented the jacks were down and you raised them, therefore there's fluid in the system. If it were totally empty they wouldn't have gone down. The system will work with the fluid level a little low, after all the level is dropping as the fluid is being pumped to the jacks, so there may be something else wrong.
You stated it has a 'power gear leveling system' and I'm not familiar with Power Gear of that vintage. I do know that HWH is famous for failed solenoids, and that may result in the click that you refer to.
I would follow Creative's suggestion and top off the fluid (with jacks retracted) and then test.
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #6

Well it must have been low fluid. I pulled the plug and couldn’t feel any so I added some and presto. It works good up and down with no alarm. It must have a safety on it so the pump doesn’t run when the fluid gets extra low. Time will tell. Thank you guys for all the help. I think I’m going to like this site.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #7

Glad it was a simple fix. I should check this on mine too. How do you know if the level is correct? Is there a dipstick or sight glass?
Old 02-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #8

On our 2000 Tropical the fluid was low in Power gear leveling system causing the alarm to sound. After topping off fluid and operating the jacks I found left rear was seaping at the piston seal. I had both rear cylinders rebuilt costing about $125 each. New ones are between $700 to $1000 each. When it comes to safety even a small leak is unacceptable
Old 03-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
There may be a reason it was low. Take a look at the hoses and seals for leaks.
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #10

After looking around for some time to see if we had a leak I think I may have found the problem. Our back driver side jack is leaking! Now I need to find someone or figure out how to fix it.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperking View Post
After looking around for some time to see if we had a leak I think I may have found the problem. Our back driver side jack is leaking! Now I need to find someone or figure out how to fix it.
It's likely just a seal. And seal kits are available to fix this.

I have a small leak in my right front seal but it only loses a tiny bit of fluid and only on retraction.

When looking for a repair option I found a local RV repair shop that would do the job. And, asking around I found that any hydraulic service shop that works on construction, road and farm equipment could likely do it as well, and for a lot less. BUT... and here's the kicker you have to remove it and bring it into the shop they wouldn't remove it from the RV.

So, instead, I just carry ATF Fluid with me and add it as necessary with is about once every 3 or 4 trips.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #12

I have power gear system that works but when i engage the rear jacks they make a hell of a squealing sound. noise is coming from area around tank and pump. I've added oil but did not help. Any idea's as to where to look would be helpful.
2001 Sea View.
EDDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The noise is from the bearing in the pump motor.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #14

The noise is probably coming from the bearings in the pump motor. I ran into this issue with ours. I was going to buy the replacement bearing but it was easier to buy the motor. I got our off Amazon. $130. Both bearings went out in ours and the motor was in bad shape. I had a time getting the bottom bearing out because it was destroyed and rusted in place.

Tags
fluid, leveling, leveling system, power, power gear