Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #1

Front Steering Stabilizer

was wondering if anyone has installed a front steering stabilizer? did it elp
with front end wandering at freeway speeds? thanks for anh recommendations

i have a 31 ft national class a motorhome
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have installed a Safe-T-Plus on each of our 3 motorhomes. Primarily for safety in case of a front tire blowout, but they do help reduce 'sawing' of the steering wheel.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Yes, wouldn't have a unit without a front end stabilizer and upgraded sway bar.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mr. Seaview,

For more precise and therefore more helpful advice it would be nice to know more about your motorhome. What year and chassis? In addition, a more complete definition of what doesn't seem to be right would be helpful.

Before you consider any add-ons to your suspension you should be sure that the stock suspension is healthy. Ball joints, tie rod ends, shock absorbers, bell cranks, tire pressure, front end alignment, etc can all contribute to poor steering control. Adding after market parts to a suspension that needs attention will in all likely hood not solve your problem.

There are many knowledgeable people on this forum. If you provide adequate information about your motorhome chassis and its handling problems you will get some excellent suggestions.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did everything prior to adding Steer Safe, Tires, Shocks, Air Springs, and alignment which all improved the wandering.Steer Safe definitely made a improvement in my wandering issue.
Yes I would definitely recommend the Steer Safe!
Old 10-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #6

Granning IFS1050 front end

According to the folks at "Safe Steer" it is not recommended for 2003 National with this IFS1050) front axel. They told me directly "it is a difficult installation and caused nothing but trouble".

Just saying
Tee1up2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #7

Recently installed the safe t plus. Made a big difference in staying in the lane.
sawmillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
I did everything prior to adding Steer Safe, Tires, Shocks, Air Springs, and alignment which all improved the wandering.Steer Safe definitely made a improvement in my wandering issue.
Yes I would definitely recommend the Steer Safe!
We have a 2003 National Tradewinds 375LE that I have struggled with the steering since we bought it back in May. With alignment, replacing shocks plus a worn out 'torsion' bar (I think) on the rear axel, and my getting more used to it, It does seem better. But, It's still not right or as right as I think I would like it.
I see several recommendations for steering stabilizers and thinking/hoping that would help.
I see in the above post that it did help them.

Hopefully I can get more information and it will help my handling.

Thanks,
Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
2011 Honda CRV
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #9

2003 National Tradewinds (another one)

I have that same Tradewinds 375 LE with a Granning 1050 IFS front axle. I am also looking for a front stabilizer although mine feels good I would like to "stiffen" the steering a touch. All my front end hardware and alignment is in spec. Tires are 2 years old.
Tee1up2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
We have a 2003 National Tradewinds 375LE that I have struggled with the steering since we bought it back in May. With alignment, replacing shocks plus a worn out 'torsion' bar (I think) on the rear axel, and my getting more used to it, It does seem better. But, It's still not right or as right as I think I would like it.
I see several recommendations for steering stabilizers and thinking/hoping that would help.
I see in the above post that it did help them.

Hopefully I can get more information and it will help my handling.

Thanks,
Wm Mayberry
2011 Honda CRV

Mine is the Neway IFS 114. Check manufacture for your correct settings. Get the print out from your alignment shop for both before and after.
The first time I had mine aligned they took all the caster out. Went back to complain and got print out! Ask where they got these numbers from? I had given them Freightliners numbers to begin with. They spent 4 hours correcting what they had messed up on my alignment NO Charge! Now it drives like it should.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:43 AM   #11

We have a Spartan chassis. I wonder if that makes any difference?

Wm
Old 10-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #12

Just checked with Safe-T-Plus who checked with Spartan and a stabilizer is not available from them for my coach.
They are working on something for independant suspensions that might work to be availabled sometime after the 1st of the year.

Wm Mayberry
2011 Honda CRV
Old 10-23-2018, 12:02 AM   #13

Anyone have an idea as to longevity of Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizers?
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee1up2day View Post
According to the folks at "Safe Steer" it is not recommended for 2003 National with this IFS1050) front axel. They told me directly "it is a difficult installation and caused nothing but trouble".

Just saying
I checked with Safe Steer yesterday and found that my front axel is also the 1050 and stabilizers will not work on it.

I'm not sure if there are any other options at this time.
Thanks,
Wm

Tags
steering