RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
front tv install in coach

im pretty sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, but i have not been able to find specifics to this scenario by searching the forums. Im wanting to go bigger in my 01 islander coach. what im wondering is have any of you went with a 32 or larger flat panel in the overhead compartment. i would like to know how you did it with the overhead compartment being narrower in front of the entrance door then angling out about 10" before the tv and being almost double the depth. i would think that if you recessed the tv to match the right side, that it would seem kind of awkward when you see it compared to the left cabinet. also seems that if you extended the whole right side that you might risk bumping your head when entering/ exiting. pics would be great. thanks!!

anewtoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

Took me a bit, but I think I found what you are talking about.

Are you wanting to replace the TV with a 32" or put a 32" in one of the "overhead compartments"?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
close... this looks like a 27" or smaller tv. i would like to have a 32 or possibly even 37" centered as close as possible to the middle of the console. notice immediately right of the tv, the carpeted section is slanted back towards the right. im wondering if anyone has either moved the tv and left of tv section back to be flush all the way across or moved the right section in to be flush with tv and left of tv section.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #4

Haven't seen anything like what you want to do, but search for TV replacement or LED TV or any combination and there will be several threads about replacing TVs, including mine, where I mounted the TV onto the existing wood fascia.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
TV Mount

The box idea is not an option, you'll hit your head every time you sit down. I can send a pic if you like with an email address.

I did mine and used a flat screen that fit between the two doors on each side and in front of the frame. It's only about 3 inches total outside the frame. This saves making a box or other frame and allows for a 28" screen, which is plenty. I removed the old slanted board for the old TV and reinforced the inside wood. Put construction angle pieces to strengthen things up and mounted a TV wall mount "Arm" which lets you pull out the tv a little to connect wires etc. I've had no trouble with this at all, except to re-position the tv after a bumpy ride. I also replaced the right side mirror with smoked glass so I could use the remotes without having the doors open. I added a shelf in the right side to place a DVD player and SAT receiver. Haven't had any trouble with this.

The only other option is to make new left and right storage doors smaller to allow a larger screen, but frankly I find the 28" screen adequate and the least amount of modification.
glasair12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #6

I have replaced the 19" TV in my 2000 Tradewinds 7371. I'll start by saying that I am not a handyman by any means so I have not constructed any kind of box or enclosure around the new 32' flatscreen which I put up. My local rv shop screwed a piece of plywood across the opening where the old tv went. The tv attaches to a universal swivel tv mount (TV and mount from Costco) which is attached to the plywood. I then push the tv and mount back toward the opening. I secure the tv with one heavy duty bungee to eye hooks on the top and bottom of the opening. My DVR and other tv "stuff" is in the cabinet left of the tv. I have replaced the mirrored pane with dark glass which allows use of remote controls without having the door open. When the tv is secured I cannot easily open the left cabinet door but have no need to do so. There is plenty of room between the tv and the right cabinet door. The secured tv is no problem while in motion and does not rattle, squeak or move. When I throw out my anchor the bungee comes off and the tv extends nicely on the swivel mount. I love the tv and feel no need to have it in a professional looking enclosure. A purist might but I don't. This install would actually work very well with a considerably larger tv but I am happy with the 32". I can post a picture here if anyone is interesed.

Jim
Medford, OR
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anything Like This?

27" SD Came out, 37" LED went in. It's hung on a dual swingarm on a floating mount of my own design. The padding at the bottom is the part most likely to bonk my head, but the TV is really thin so it hasn't been a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1868.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	29299  
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #8

That's a great looking install! Do you have any pictures of the "hole" behind the tv, the mounts and the tv deployed?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
i tried mounting one of the cantilever arms, but i guess the 25# tv was too heavy for it and it kept swinging on its own. so round 2 with the drawing board, i figured i'd mount some 2x4's to the inside of the cabinets and mount a regular flat panel mount to those. the 2x4's are attached to the inner frame from the back so they wont be falling in toward the cabin. here are a couple of pics of the near finished job. we're in the middle of our first ever MH excursion and while on the road from alabama to dallas, we found out that we didnt like the bouncing around that the tv does so we took it down while driving which was a major bummer cuz my wife was really enjoying tv on the road. when we get back, i'll probably build some type of surround to encase the tv to reduce movement. also will remove the mirrors in favor of tinted glass.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_0093.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	29307   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0090.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	29308  

Name:	SAM_0114.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	29309  
Old 11-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #10

Good luck with your project and thanks for taking the time to add the photos to your reply!

Jim
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Hole

I have pictures:

This is the box after I removed the facia and the TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1695-small.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	29326  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Floating Mount

This is the floating mount. I added two 'plates' of 3/4" ply to the top & bottom to distribute the load over a wider area. The mount can move several inches horizontally and about 2 inches vertically. It's secured with carriage bolts & wingnuts. I check the tightness of the wingnuts every so often. I have since replaced the single arm mount with a double arm one rated for 150 pounds because the single arm one allowed the TV to boounce too much even with the hold down straps in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1698-small.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	29327  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Double Arm Mount

This is the double arm mount. I cut a bigger piece piece of 3/4 ply and used 6 carriage bolts to secure it. It hasn't moved in a year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1864-small.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	29328  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stowed for travel

I use two very strong straps to hold the TV in place when we're on the road. I've forgotten the straps a couple of times and the TV tends to extend a bit with every big bump. This was only a test fitting, I have since moved the TV a bit higher and finished off the pieces of ply visible at the top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1703-small.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	29329  

Tags
install