Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #1

Furnace in 1998 National Tradewinds Motorhome

We recently purchased a 1998 National Tradewinds Motorhome. There were some things that needed to be repaired or replaced. So, after buying it in October, we couldn't pick it up until January 2nd. We live in SD. Motorhome was at Camping World in Summerset outside of Rapid City. We live on the opposite of the state. The dash heat was not keeping us warm, so I tried to start the furnace. The climate control center went from Fan Off, to Fan manual, to Fan Auto, and to Cool, but the thermostat never showed a heat setting. Is there something else we needed to do to get the furnace to work? Was a very cold ride home! Camping World told us it was working when they checked it out, but this is no good. Any ideas or is there another button or something we are supposed to do? Help! Never owned a motorhome before this one!
Gpgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #2

Sounds to me like control is on zone 2. If you have 2 AC units and one furnace, you have 2 zones. You need to change control to zone 1, then furnace appears on control with temp settings. To change zones you need to press 2 buttons at same time but darned if I can remember what 2. Should be in manual or maybe some one else knows
crazeecanuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whew.....not sure where to start. But, since you are a first-time MH owner, suffice it to say there are many things you should have personally witnessed that were working BEFORE you paid your money. Ok, you said, "there were some things that needed to be repaired or replaced. So, after buying it in October, we couldn't pick it up until January 2nd." Did any of those things include working/repair/replacing any component of the AC system, like the control boards? I'll wait for your response before making any other comments....except......you could try a Thermostat "RESET". Reset procedures differ for a 4-button and a 5 button Thermostat....which do you have....and do you have one furnace or two? Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #4

Furnace for 1998 National Tradewinds motorhome

I did reset the furnace to zone one and it still did not come onto the heat setting. When we got the walk-through, my husband said the guy showed him the furnace setting, and he thought it was working,but not for sure.They did say on an email we received that they had to repair the thermostat in Zone 2. It is a 4 button thermostat, but my husband went through the reset procedure with the serviceman of Camping World over the phone. The service manager said we may need to reset the dip switches. Do you know where they would be located? We have one furnace with two zones.
Gpgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dip switch? I won't say it.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The "dip" switches that control the sequencing of the AC's and the Heaters are located on the control boards inside the front and rear AC's. The front AC control board is the "master" control board. The AC inside covers, the air filters and the control box covers have to be removed to gain access to the DIP switches, and.....you must know what you are doing before making any changes. I have unsuccessfully tried to upload a 4-button Service Manual to post here, but it exceeds the 3mb file size limit for pdf files. This Manual contains all the info you will need to verify the condition of the DIP switches and a lot of troubleshooting info. I could attach it to an email and send it if you will provide the email address. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 01-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Welcome aboard. Many years of RV'ing ahead once your over the hump.
First thoughts are....The Fridge and Furnaces won't work unless the disconnect is turned on. You'll find it by the door and it's on when the red light lights. Usually that's what's going on with new folks that buy at Camping World. Same on them for not taking the time to give you a proper introduction to your Coach. I'm sure they had no problem taking the time to cash your check. Remember this when it's time for service and try to find a place where you can pronounce the tech's first name.
Here is a link to all the documentation that came with my 1999 Tradewinds in case you didn't get a package.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=AE67FF...67FFF392766057

and here is a link to some of the Mods I've done over the years.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=AE67FF...67FFF392766057

Keep a list for the first year or until you're comfortable with the state of repairs. Being in SD you may not get a lot of time in the winter to get caught up unless you can store it inside and forgetting the little things is easy and annoying on a trip.

Folks are here to help if you need it so don't be shy!

Good Luck
Dick

BTW We got our Springer in Madison SD. We picked him up and then drove west to Rushmore. What a great trip. The badlands weren't so bad
Old 01-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #8

2000 tradewinds 7370- cat3126-all6 sp
new owner here :-)
the fellow i got mine from was telling me of a furnace issue, that i have not had. But he had had a world of trouble with the flip/toggle -- on/off switch at the bottom of the control panel. So i dont mess with it , i just toggle thru the settings to off. I have never flipped the bottom switch. Your problem may be there. -------robert
10EC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, you got the Service Manual attached to the email.....it has a lot of useful info and troubleshooting help. Good Luck. Let us know when you get the problem fixed. Rook

Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you never owned a motor home before this one......why not find and hire a mobile RV tech or mechanic and have him visit and show you how things work. Follow him around with a video camera or smart phone or pencil and paper and note everything.

Tags
ace, furnace, national, motorhome