Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2022, 05:21 PM   #1

Gas Cap

I own a 2005 Dolphin. W-22 Workhorse chassis. I have recently started
smelling gas fumes at the rear of the RV. Could this have something to do
with a wrong gas cap? I know that the gas cap that I have is not the correct
one, but am having trouble figuring out how to find the correct gas cap.

I an incorrect gas cap is not the reason for the fumes, does anyone have
any other thoughts. I see no evidence of leaking gas, just the fumes.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Kevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2022, 06:31 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could be a break in the fuel line going to the generator. Does the generator run?
Old 09-20-2022, 07:36 PM   #3

Or the rubber fill or vent line.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:51 PM   #4

I have a 2004 w22 and also smelled gas at the rear of the coach. I found the fuel pump was leaking on top of the gas tank.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:46 PM   #5

Sounds to me.. like the work of critters.. because critters love to eat on rubber fuel lines and short wiring and nest in worst places.. so.. use cellphone with flash on and record over top of tank.. trace each line.. and over top of filler hose.. you may just have a bad or rusted clamps.. so you got to check each clamp.. also if you need to drop tank.. or feel it's too big of a job for you.. you tube KEVIN CAUDELL and watch him drop the tank.. also.. the vent lines and gen lines are cheap and critters love them.. also.. many tanks are pre made to fill from right and left.. so it could be the cap on the other side of tank.. get under it and you will see what I am writing about.. if you can smell it.. it can let water and dirt in..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-27-2022, 03:40 PM   #6

Earlier this year I had the exact same problem on my 2005 Dolphin.
I smelled gas at the rear of my rig. Nothing on the ground. At the suggestion of a friend I looked for fuel streaks coming down the side/sides of the fuel tank.
Sure enough they were there. The fuel pump nozzles come out of the top of the tank and attach to the fuel lines. They are plastic and are known to crack after a long time. I bought a new OEM fuel pump from Ultra RV.
I had a mobile mechanic who had done many of these come to my house, drop the tank, and install the new pump. Sure enough that was the problem.
whit5751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:22 PM   #7

In my 97 Tropical I found the rubber gas line at the top of the tank had cracked, possibly because it was not alcohol resistant. In order to get to the line I raised the bed, removed the water tank, cut a hole in the floor under the bed and I had good access to the top of the tank. I fixed the problem and then put the cut out piece back in a way in which it could be easily removed in the future.
heathbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #8

By all means check for leaks from the fuel tank as described by other posters and if no evidence of leakage is found replace the gas cap. My 2000 F53 doesn't have a closed evaporative emissions system so the cap is vented. If you install a non vented cap on a tank that is supposed to be vented through the cap, pressure could build to a point where a hose or seal could fail. There should be 3 lines going to the tank if it doesn't have a vapor collection system. One for fuel supply to the fuel rail, one for fuel return to the tank and one for fuel supply to the generator. On a closed system there will be vapor line(s) to a charcoal canister for vapor collection in addition to the supply and return lines. I don't know which system Workhorse was required to have .

Tags
gas