Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2021, 06:40 AM   #1

GE spacemaker microwave

In my 2004 Dolphin the convection microwave totally stopped (no front panel, no light, no vent fan, nothing), while in the convection bake mode. I have power to the microwave, so it appears to be an internal fuse. Does anyone have any experience repairing or replacing the unit?
First thing how to get it out.

Thanks Mike
2445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 06:46 AM   #2

I'd be checking for voltage at the punchdown outlet it is plugged into. These outlets develop very high resistance at heavier loads, heat up, warp, and eventually let go of the wires that feed them. Good luck!!!
Old 04-06-2021, 09:48 AM   #3

Don't know what a punchdown outlet is but the outlet its plugged into is working properly.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
There should be a fuse on the circuit board. We had to replace one in our micro several years ago. We recently had the door handle break off our GE micro convection. We ended up replacing it with a Furrion convection micro. Ours was mounted to a welded steel frame. I had to put a spacer behind the frame and add a piece of plywood across a section of the frame to get the new micro mounting bolts to to line up. Other than that, the installation was pretty straight forward. We looked all over for an oven that had the same mounting bolt spacing as the GE without success. It was especially fun during China virus.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:58 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submustang View Post
There should be a fuse on the circuit board. We had to replace one in our micro several years ago. We recently had the door handle break off our GE micro convection. We ended up replacing it with a Furrion convection micro. Ours was mounted to a welded steel frame. I had to put a spacer behind the frame and add a piece of plywood across a section of the frame to get the new micro mounting bolts to to line up. Other than that, the installation was pretty straight forward. We looked all over for an oven that had the same mounting bolt spacing as the GE without success. It was especially fun during China virus.
We had the same issue when our GE broke. Every one we looked at was 1/2" wider than our opening, so we too went with a Furrion. I liked the GE better.

Al
Old 04-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #6

My plan is to remove the oven, check the main fuse and go from there. I have exposed the screws but need a second person to help with the 80 pounds.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:38 AM   #7

A quick update on my microwave.
Its been removed and it needs at least a main panel. The repair, if parts were available, wouldn't be worth it so I will replace it.
I talked to GE and they suggested model PVM9179DKBB for a size and function replacement. The upper mounting holes are slightly off (per the mounting template) but I should be able accommodate that with some minor mods to the cabinet base.
Its back ordered and hopefully will arrive sometime mid next month.

Thanks for everyone's inputs.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #8

Ours went out Friday, the replacement arrived today. To replace it, the storage area above the microwave needs to be cleared out, then the floor and side wall of that storage area has to be removed (many staples will need to be removed to accomplish this activity). This provides access to the screws holding the top of the microwave. Unscrew the screws and lift the microwave off the rear bracket mounted on the wall. Then reverse the process to install. BTW, I use a large bean bag to support the microwave on top of the cook top to support the microwave before I lift the new unit onto the rear bracket. Then attached the screws into the top of the microwave and plug it in.

Yes, I've done this once, doing it again tonight. Installing a Kenmore 2.2 cu ft Elite unit to replace the previous Kenmore Elite convection microwave (which replaced the original unit).

I hope this helps.

Rob
Old 04-22-2021, 06:26 AM   #9

I did almost the same process, but used 2x4s on end to support the microwave while removing the upper support screws. The GE replacement is scheduled for delivery May 5th. By the online template I will need to reposition the screws by an inch or so.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #10

Late to the Party

I really like the Dometic confection oven and by what I read it here I would say you all do too.

Are they fragile.... mine is working .... anything I can do to keep it that way.

If there is a better unit ? Not a fan of Furrion but have no experience with them.
MR. Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2445 View Post
A quick update on my microwave.
Its been removed and it needs at least a main panel. The repair, if parts were available, wouldn't be worth it so I will replace it.
I talked to GE and they suggested model PVM9179DKBB for a size and function replacement. The upper mounting holes are slightly off (per the mounting template) but I should be able accommodate that with some minor mods to the cabinet base.
Its back ordered and hopefully will arrive sometime mid next month.

Thanks for everyone's inputs.
The GE unit had been backordered and finally arrived last week.
The installation process was fairly simple.
1. The rear mount did NOT need to be replaced, and the outside vent lined up after the vent was changed from top to rear.
2. The upper holes did not line up, and I needed to add a couple of supports for the thru bolts on the top. I glued and screwed a couple 2x2's along side the existing supports. Drilled new holes per the template.

When I removed the old Micro the vent fan had evidence of "mud daubers" so I added a
screen to the outside vent.

Tags
ace, microwave