Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Gen fuel line location

Anyone know which end, or center of the tank, the genset pickup goes into the fuel tank, on a 2000 Dolphin?
Mine has stopped drawing fuel, with 3/4 tank. The coach is parked on a slight downhill. I disconnected the line at the filter, and when I blow back into the tank, there's no resistance, and I hear no bubbles .

Testing to see if I can post a pic !

96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #2

New member here having a similar problem on a 'new' '99 Dolphin, and no gas to genset after priming for a minute with fuel pump making noise (no trace of gas when removing fuel hose from filter.) I can see the rubber fuel hose from the genset filter running upward, then forward along the rig's under-frame and 'it appears' to go above the tank about midway. We are visiting kids/grandkids on our first run with this rig and I haven't investigated further. I plan to try priming from a small container of gasoline but suspect this will confirm a deteriorated/cracked fuel hose, most likely at top of tank connection. (The fuel hose was cracked/rotted at genset filter connection which was easy to fix but I have no clue as to whether the fuel hose can be readily replaced at the top connection of main fuel tank without first lowering it.)

The prior owner says the generator was starting/running ok until recently. I read that 'weathered' fuel hoses become troublesome at about 10 years service.

Hopefully a more experienced owner will respond.

Mac
mac4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I had a simular fuel problem on my 2004 Dolphin. My gen would start but die out. I traced the problem to a loose clamp. This may not be how your MH is setup. Mine has a short hose that runs from the top of the tank to the chassis. At the chassis there is a connection to a hose that runs to the gen. The clamps at the connection were loose. The connection was hard to see and locate because it is between the tank side wall and the inside of the frame channel.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my sea View it was in the middle on the top of the tank next to the other fuel lines going to the engine. You have to drop the tank down to get to it. You don't have to take the tank to the ground but need to drop it 12-18". did mine in the drive way with floor jack and a few jack stands and had about 1/4 tank of gas in it at the time. Replace with fuel injection fuel line told it would last longer.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #5

I had a fuel line on the gen. come off my 95 F53 chassis so I cut a hole in the floor right over the fuel pump to get to it. Now all I have to do is lift the carpet to change the pump or hoses
I put a metal cover over the whole screw down, then the rug. There is 8 in. between floor and metal plate over tank and lots of room in there. I used an air nippers-cuter to cut metal over gas tank.
Did not drop the tank.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary peterso View Post
I had a fuel line on the gen. come off my 95 F53 chassis so I cut a hole in the floor right over the fuel pump to get to it. Now all I have to do is lift the carpet to change the pump or hoses
I put a metal cover over the whole screw down, then the rug. There is 8 in. between floor and metal plate over tank and lots of room in there. I used an air nippers-cuter to cut metal over gas tank.
Did not drop the tank.
Do you think this is going to be an ongoing problem, to make this drastic measure worthwhile .
Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
On my sea View it was in the middle on the top of the tank next to the other fuel lines going to the engine. You have to drop the tank down to get to it. You don't have to take the tank to the ground but need to drop it 12-18". did mine in the drive way with floor jack and a few jack stands and had about 1/4 tank of gas in it at the time. Replace with fuel injection fuel line told it would last longer.
Where was yours drawing air. Outside the tank, or inside .
Old 08-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4u View Post
New member here having a similar problem on a 'new' '99 Dolphin, and no gas to genset after priming for a minute with fuel pump making noise (no trace of gas when removing fuel hose from filter.) I can see the rubber fuel hose from the genset filter running upward, then forward along the rig's under-frame and 'it appears' to go above the tank about midway. We are visiting kids/grandkids on our first run with this rig and I haven't investigated further. I plan to try priming from a small container of gasoline but suspect this will confirm a deteriorated/cracked fuel hose, most likely at top of tank connection. (The fuel hose was cracked/rotted at genset filter connection which was easy to fix but I have no clue as to whether the fuel hose can be readily replaced at the top connection of main fuel tank without first lowering it.)

The prior owner says the generator was starting/running ok until recently. I read that 'weathered' fuel hoses become troublesome at about 10 years service.

Hopefully a more experienced owner will respond.

Mac
Blowing through the fuel hose-end at the genset filter ahead of fuel pump makes bubble-sounds in the rig's main gas tank. Finding the vaccuum tester that I thought I brought along, it easily pulls a steady stream of fuel from the gas tank to the hose-end just ahead of the genset fuel-filter. Blowing through this filter has little resistance. I'm therefore now thinking the fuel pump is likely defective. However, it makes a continuous 'pumping noise' when I press the primer switch which initially made be suspect it is working ok.

So...I'm investigatin a potential/maybe problem with the circuit-board before spending $79 for a new pump. If pump is still suspect, following is the least expensive and seemingly trustworthy source that I have found on-line for my Generac pump part 90475 plus only $4 for a replacement filter, both of which appear to be identical to my original Generac (Facet) parts:

Fuel Pump for Generac 90475, 77663, Onan & Kohler GM39462 : A.S.A.P.

Any other thoughts?
Old 08-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #9

I ordered the fuel pump and filter late this afternoon, it's supposed to be here Tuesday, stay tuned.

Have a great weekend everybody. We are enjoying our 'kids' and grand-dau in a lovely residential area near Seymour-Johnson AFB. Son rigged up a heavy duty box/receptacle for his existing isolated 30 amp service with #10 wire at his back-yard 'shed' (having a separate 30A line for other exterior service.) We also hooked up to his city water faucet but he has not explained why sewer discharge service has yet to be provided, I had to drive 20 miles today to a state park.... while thinking that discharging to a sub-division storm-water drain, similar to 'Christmas Vacation' with Chevie Chase, would be so much easier and 'exciting.'

Mac

I need to establish a signature:
Recently purchased '99 Dolphin on Ford V-10 chassis.
Rig had 13,341 miles when we recently purchased it, beautiful inside
and out, having been in commercial storage bldg since 2002, owner started and run it around the block 4-6 times per year, ditto for genset
and other accessories, I bought new tires yesterday (another story.)
Old 08-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #10

I just put my thumb over the fuel line while I had it disconnected at the filter, then pushed the primer switch, to confirm the fuel pump was working.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #11

96 Wideglide,

We have a 2000 Residency on the Ford f53 chassis. I had the same situation you describe with my generator fuel pump. The fuel pump was OK, but the problem was with the rubber fuel line between the fuel tank and generator that had deteriorated over the years developing cracks in the line near the tank connection.

The generator fuel pump was sucking air through these cracks and no gas from the tank. My pump also make a metallic hammering sound while running. Long story short, had to replace the entire rubber fuel line up to the generator.

This could be your problem if your fuel pump is OK.

Good luck

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #12

Sounds very likely to be the case.
Had it in the shop, explained to the mechanic that I've recently had it running for over an hour straight. The fuel level has never been below 1/2 tank in the three weeks I've owned the R.V, the filter is bone dry, and the tank is probably going to need to be dropped to fix the problem.
They called me and said it's "fixed". They attached some kind of pump on the gen end of the fuel line, ran it till they got a steady flow of fuel, hooked it up to the gen, and ran it for an hour. Chalked it up to air lock .

Time will tell I guess!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #13

WOW, you lucked out on that one, glad to hear they didn't need to drop the tank. That's a new one on me as I've never heard of an air lock in the genset fuel line.

P.S. That 2 wheeler is one fine looking ride

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #14

Well, that worked for one day .

Checked the filter before I started the gen today, had fuel in it. Generator ran about 3min then died. Fuel filter is empty . Tank's still 3/4 full.