Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Edw

Hi All, New NRV owner. Sure is a lot of info on this site and nice to meet you all.
My question please - generator will not start and all it does is chatter. Could this be a low battery?
Also stair motor will not deploy or draw in stairs. Makes an effort but no real power. Disconnected arm and stiil very little movement.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Sea Breeze 31'
Edw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Edw

Hi All, New NRV owner. Sure is a lot of info on this site and nice to meet you all.
My question please - generator will not start and all it does is chatter. Could this be a low battery?
Also stair motor will not deploy or draw in stairs. Makes an effort but no real power. Disconnected arm and stiil very little movement.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Sea Breeze 31'
Old 01-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Edw to irv2 and National forum.
Generally your Gen starts off your house batteries and your electric step works off the chassis batt.
If you have a meter take a look at your voltage coming off batteries. You can use this LINK to help yourself out.
Sounds like you need to charge your batteries, with a battery charger.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You will want to clean up and lubricate the steps. If the linkage is off they should very easily go in and out. There are also thre sources of power for the electric steps. A 30 amp main, an ignition and usually a 5 amp for the switch by the door. Verify that all these are good and once you get the batteries charged up you should be good to go. Keep us posted as the results.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:44 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Edw,
Welcome, What year and Mod.is your NRV motorhome. Do you have the owners manual?
Do not start your engine with the stairs disambled and the entry door closed.With more info. will be able to help a little more.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:17 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Link for steps http://www.kwikee.com/Adocuments.html
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:37 AM   #7

Welcome to the group, Edw, you have come to the right place for answers. There is a lot of experience here, someone will be able to help you out. The more info you can provide, the more we have to work with. Come back often, soon you will be providing answers also.
Along with what has been suggested, the generator will grumble and not start if it is not receiving enough gas. There is a Prime switch on the gen to give it gas
to get it started. Try priming the engine first, you should hear a clicking sound. Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome,
Sound like low batteries, if the Gen is making a clicking sound as you try to start and the step is trying to move. Can you start the coach? Or have you tried the emergency start with the gen? If nothing starts then low or bad batteries or bad connection to the batteries. Have you left something on? A first would be running all the batteries sown(no one has ever done that!!) If this is a new coach to you maintenance may be all thats needed.

LEN
Old 01-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
OLYLEN, thanks for joining in thats what irv2 is all about.
Welcome to irv2 , enjoy the forums and DO post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
Edw

Update, Hello All. Dealer replaced the Fuel pump and filter. Dealer confirms works fine but must have used seperate gas tank as mine was below 1/4. I filled gas tank and no go. removed hose and no gas flow. drew only air from hose. could it be a bad line or something in tank broke? Sure will be a job to reach under tank to get at connection for hose. Need 5' arms.
Stair was frozen and working fine now.
Thanks All.

Sea Breeze 31'
Old 02-06-2008, 11:46 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Edw, sure sounds like a bad hose. If it has a crack in the line it will not be able to prime. You should be able to hear the pump running when you push the prime button down. We can continue any further discussion in a new thread in the appropriate section. Good luck and keepb us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #12
Edw

Bad Fuel Line? Sure Was. Something took a big half moon bite right out of it. lucky it was 3" from tank connection. Purchased the fuel line tool kit, removed the line from tank connection, cut out bad 3" section and reconnected. Really took some effort to get into the area to disconnect hose. Thanks again all. Ed

Sea Breeze 31'
Old 02-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #13

EDW, I would sure like to know about the "Fuel Line Tool Kit" you mention. On my '99 F53 frame, I had to have the fuel tank dropped to replace that fuel line. If there is a tool that helps get the line off and back on, I want one! If not, please elaborate on how you were able to reach the connection on top of the tank. My genereator fuel lines are only lasting about 4 years before cracking to the point that the pump can't pull fuel. And at about $500 to drop the tank, I am looking for alternate solutions!
TropiCal-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #14
Edw

Regarding my gen fuel line: The connection is at the top of the 75 gal tank. The 1/4" gen hose is connected to an adapter fitting that has a hose clamp to the fuel line on one side and standard ford compression fitting on other. On my 99 Sea Breeze there is enough room to get my head and shoulders between the LP tank and frame and I find myself looking straight at the side of the tank and able to reach in and use the ford tool to release the compression fitting from the tank feed. once released the hose can be taken from the back of the tank and replaced. I've heard of cutting a hole in floor just above the tank fittings and was heading that way until I looked at it from the side of the tank. If you do have to drop the tank have them put a metal line from the tank to somewhere you can get to easier. The ford tool is at any parts store. Just a set of round colored disks that you use to push into the line to disconnect the compression fitting. After installing new line onto the fitting I just pushed the hose forward to the approx area of connection from the back and then repositioned myself to the side to reach in and pull onto the ford fitting and it snaps in place. Be aware the lines may have fuel pressure???? Hope this helps and write back if I can be of any help. Ed

Sea Breeze 31'