Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #1

My generator runs for about 30 mins., then stops. If restarted right away, it only runs a couple of minutes. If I let it sit for a while, the pattern repeats. It does this with and without a load. Any ideas?
Surferwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #2

My generator runs for about 30 mins., then stops. If restarted right away, it only runs a couple of minutes. If I let it sit for a while, the pattern repeats. It does this with and without a load. Any ideas?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #3

When it stops, the light on the switch on the dashboard should be blinking a code. You can lookup what the code is telling you. Sometimes the rig is not level enough or you may be close to a quarter of a tank of fuel.
Amy & Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, my Dolpin is a 1998, so it isn't new enough to give a code --sure wish it was! I had heard about the gas level needing to be above 1/4, so made sure it was.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:03 AM   #5

Check your fuel filter...maybe it's original? . Perhaps you know a good mechanic who can do a "sideline" job for you?
Otherwise it sounds like a big bill.

G'luck!
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:00 AM   #6

I hate to add to your problems, but I'm sure that you will soon find out that just like National, Generac is no longer in business. But there is a up side to this, the company was bought out by Briggs and Stratton, so if you are looking for any parts or information the BS web site is where you will need to go. Good Luck!!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #7

Greetings Surferwood,
I recently had a similar problem with my 1999 Generac Q-55G generator and it turned out to be a fuel delivery problem (I think). The previous owner had replaced a section of fuel line and did a pour job of splicing dissimilar sized rubber line. I think it might have been sucking air. While I had the fuel line apart I blew into it to make sure there was no obstruction in the line. I could have cleared a partial obstruction in the line also, but I'm not sure. Anyway it has run great since then.

While trouble shooting my generator I got pretty familiar with my unit and the Owner's Manual. My manual lists these five items in the troubleshooting section for the problem "Engine starts, then shuts down"¯.
1. Engine oil level low
2. Bad control relay (CR1)
3. Bad low oil pressure switch
4. Bad control relay (CR2)
5. Water in fuel

My generator has two switches designed to protect the unit. One is a Low Oil Pressure Switch and the other is a High Temperature Switch. You might want to verify that these are not causing your unit to shut down.

With regards to relays CR1 & CR2, I'm not sure where they're located. They are not shown on the electrical drawing in the Owner's Manual. Fortunately it appears not to have been my problem.

Here is a website you might find useful: http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pr...al.aspx?src=qp
They have a list of generator manuals which include some of the older models.

Good Luck! I hope this is helpful.

Warren

1998 Jeep Wrangler
Warren&Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:50 AM   #8

Generac out of business? Don't know about that...the RV Generac Generators use Briggs and Stratton motors....at least mine does....
Old 09-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Generac is not out of business.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #10

Generac is alive and doing okay.
My best guess without looking at it ,maybe an overheating issue,or low oil pressure.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Also make certain the right oil is in the unit. A detergent oil may foam and this could set off the oil sensor as well.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:44 AM   #12

The "right oil"? I use NAPA 10-30 in the generator...same as in the V-10 (and my pickup and my car). NAPA filter. Change both every year usually in April.
If I remember correctly, the Generac owners manual even tells you that 10-30 is OK.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar problem with my Generac. The problem endd up being a small peice of dirt in the bowl that wa plugging the low-speed jet. All I did was remove and clean the bowl, and use a small peice of wire to clean out the jet. It has been running beatifully without any problems since.
Teknoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #14

My $0.02 ...... I have had several generac generators and 2 have had this same problem. Both were air cooled engines. Basically, the valves were too tight. Air cooled engines can contract enough to lose compression due to the valve not closing all the way and make this a problem when they get hot. Once they cool off, they run fine until the cycle repeats. The first time I had this problem, I couldnt find a decent source of what the valves should be set at in my manual and tech support wouldnt share it with me? Not sure why but I set them at .006 thousands (like a VW) and have not had any problems. Tech support later confirmed the setting was .004 to .006 on those generators.
kbddbd is offline   Reply With Quote