Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

Generator ?

Hi all, the question that I have relates to a 2008 Tropi-cal.before you get power from the generator to the coach you have to plug the shoreline into a receptacle inside the bay where the shoreline is attached. what I would like to know is, if you start generator while shoreline is hooked to power does generator send power into your house via the shoreline? what I'm interested in is in the event of a power outage can you use your m/h generator to run some things in your house? of course you'd have to have some type of disconnect at the meter so you're not sending power out the power lines.!!
dwarfracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 02:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If u r hooked up to shore power you shouldnt need gen running,
Old 02-11-2014, 03:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfracer1 View Post
Hi all, the question that I have relates to a 2008 Tropi-cal.before you get power from the generator to the coach you have to plug the shoreline into a receptacle inside the bay where the shoreline is attached. what I would like to know is, if you start generator while shoreline is hooked to power does generator send power into your house via the shoreline? what I'm interested in is in the event of a power outage can you use your m/h generator to run some things in your house? of course you'd have to have some type of disconnect at the meter so you're not sending power out the power lines.!!
No. The generator is wired directly to the outlet in your compartment, not the shore cord. Therefore having your shore cord plugged into your home does nothing to supply the home/shore if there is a power outage.

You could have an automatic transfer switch installed on your home/shore service that would have a 30amp service cord of the proper length to reach your RVs generator plug in the compartment. However, 30amp 120VAC single pole service (supplied by your genset) into a home won't really run much... perhaps a refrigerator, a few lights and maybe a microwave at the same time, or an NG or LPG furnace which utilizes a 120VAC blower fan, an NG or LPG water heater. Any 220VAC appliance in the home will not be powered such as an electric range/oven, central A/C, etc etc. and in fact could be damaged if accidentally left on or turned on while connected to your genset.

To avoid the expense of the transfer switch and 30amp cord what many people do is purchase a multi-tap/break-out box or have one made. This box plugs into your genset outlet in the compartment of the RV and provides a few standard 120VAC/15amp plugs.This allows you to run up seperate standard extensions cords into the house to plug in things as you need to... refrigerator, a few lights, TV, etc. Here is a picture of something similar, but obviously the supply end plug pictured is not a TT-30, which you'd need.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #4

94-Newmar, the generator is not wired direct on a tropi-cal, to get power into the coach from gen, you have to plug shore cord into receptical inside bay where shore cord comes out.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
My 2001 Dolphin is wired like yours. I have to plug the 50amp cord into the generator outlet near where the cord is stored to use the generator. If it's no plugged in nothing is powered by the generator. When I've had to get power when the campground has a power outage I have to pull the plug from the pole and connect to the generator plug.

So without some special wiring you get all your AC power from either the campground or the generator.
mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 AM   #6

you're right Mike, that's exactly the way mine is also.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have what I call a Poor mans transfer switch.

The Generator sends power to the outlet.. That's all. no where else. Where it goes from there is entierly up to you.. Plug the RV into itself and it goes into your house, but if you are plugged into the shore outlet, Well you only have the one plug

NOTE: this is a good thing

Have a proper generator transfer panel put in the house, one that lets you select which circuits to switch over.. And an inlet on the back of the house.. Make a custom cord with matching plug and outlet and when the power company next Fails you .. AGAIN

Fire up the RV's generator and then start flipping switches

Click LIGHTS
CLick FURNACE
Click Fridge, Freezer, TV, Radio, Computer and so on.

Leave one or two KEY LIGHT CIRCUITS on the Main, Turn those on.. when they come on, Time to switch back.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #8

wa8yxm, thanks. that's along the same thing I was thinking. neighbors have outside lights, so I'll know when regular power comes back on.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:15 AM   #9

Quote:
94-Newmar, the generator is not wired direct on a tropi-cal, to get power into the coach from gen, you have to plug shore cord into receptical inside bay where shore cord comes out.
Yes indeed. Isnt that what I posted? :-)
Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #10

"No. The generator is wired directly to the outlet in your compartment, not the shore cord."
the gen is wired to the shore cord, that's why you have to plug cord into outlet in compartment to get power inside m/h
Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me put it another way on the OP's question.

If you are plugged into shore power (Even if it has failed) and you start the generator.. All you are doing is wasting fuel.

It looks like you are looking for a solution to power your house during a power fail.

NEVER, EVER use an outlet as an inlet, This is the road to ruin.

You can ruin your generator
you can ruin your life

Do wire in a proper transfer box as I described.. Since most RV generators are 120 volt only consider one such as I used.

Shop Generac 50-Amp 12 to 16 Circuit Manual Transfer Switch at Lowes.com

Is an example of such a switch.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #12

thank you wa8yxm, that is the info I was looking for. a way to power things in house when power fails.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:16 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
"No. The generator is wired directly to the outlet in your compartment, not the shore cord."
the gen is wired to the shore cord, that's why you have to plug cord into outlet in compartment to get power inside m/h
That what 94-Newmar said.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Nope. You have it backwards. The shore cord is not wired to the generator in your setup. The outlet in the compartment is wired directly to the generator. :-)

Tags
generator