Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Generator has no power going to it

Hello everyone, I have a 2000 seabreeze the generac generator has 200 hrs on it. we took it out last summer the generator worked before we left, i had it running to double check it was working. we drove down a road that was washboard bumpy(annoying). we parked at the site, tried to level it to no avail. I tried to start the generator from inside the coach and nothing, went outside to start it and nothing. Batteries were fully charged. any thoughts before i spend a small fortune to get someone to fix it. thank you all in advance.

Geoff
Gpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Check the oil level. If it is low it won't run.
If you are not level that could be the problem
Also, mine has to crank quite a while if not run recently. Sometimes It needs some starter fluid to help it along
mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #3

If it is not cranking ( spinning ), It's not the oil level.

Someplace near the battery, that starts it, is a circuit breaker. Could be tripped.

My 2000 generator had a loose connection on the short ground wire from it, to the frame it sat in.

It also had a loose connection where the battery wire connected to the starter solenoid, right on the side of the generator. Check them.

Before doing too much, make sure that whatever battery starts it is charged and had TIGHT connections.

You mentioned not being able to operate the slides. That could be a clue to a dead or poorly connected battery.

If it's cranking, mine take a long time to start because the choke is bad.

You also need to have more than 1/4 tank of gas to run it.

And yes, then low oil will make it not start.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #4

Battery Disconnect Switch

As you enter the coach on the left side is the Battery Disconnect Switch. Use the switch to connect the coach batteries. When the batteries are isolated the generator and slide are disabled.
xflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check the battery cable at the generator connection. Bumpy roads and vibrations might have fatigued the terminal connection there. Happened to mine when new because factory didn't properly support the cable. The terminal was cracked right at the connection to the solenoid .
Old 02-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
What does leveling have to do with the Genny? If the jacks won't go down then you have a battery problem. Do the inside 12 VDC lights work? Is the disconnect switch (Salesman Switch) turned on? Look for a RED light next to the switch if it's on then the batteries are connected.

Dick

p.s. Power comes from the Generator not to it. If you were on Shore Power then the Generator isn't needed.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 PM   #7

The jacks are an indicator of a 12 VDC problem assuming you do not have another problem like an interlock not satisfied. Twinboat is correct in that there is a 12 VDC problem to be sorted out. On a newbie 50% shot it's an oops! We have all been there at some point.

With the ignition switch off in case there is some kind of interlock...

I would forget the inside panel other than to do a quick check of the battery check light. It should say full. Check the battery voltage then follow the heavy wire to a can style relay usually near the battery. Make sure there is 12 VDC on both sides of that. That is your storage disconnect or salesman's switch. Usually they are run by a switch by the door or on the dash.

If the storage relay is set and power getting through that check other devices in the line as there is usually a fuse or circuit breaker that can just look like a box with a button. While checking give the wires a wiggle or carefully tweak the nuts. Be careful of the latter as there is a lot of power there if you ground the wrench.

If you have power through the battery compartment go to the generator end and find the heavy wire coming into the starter motor. If you do not have 12 VDC find out why by tracing the wire back to the battery.

Check for 12 VDC to chassis ground. Then check the generator to chassis. If you have 12 VDC you have a ground problem between the generator and frame.

If all that checks try starting the generator with the button at the generator. With our 2000 unit pushing the bottom half blinked the light and primed the generator - hold down and see if the light blinks or lights or blinks a few times and stops. If it does fine. If not note it. Try the top of the rocker switch and see if the generator turns over. If not clip the meter to the 12 VDC feed and ground and try again. IF the DC collapses to a low voltage you have a bad connection. If not you have a generator starter problem.

FWIW In our 2000 the prime function used instead of a choke worked off the outside button but not the inside. On our 2012 it works on both inside and outside.

Get some data and feed it back here and somebody will probably have more places to check once that all works. Post the generator model and any other info you can find with the data.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:22 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a resettable 150 amp ckt breaker on the right side of the 12 volt distribution panel that provides power to the Generator and Jacks.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All good information. As already mentioned if jacks don't work generator will not start. The attached may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 Volt Distribution Panel.jpg
Views:	2698
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	118819  
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S. View Post
There is a resettable 150 amp ckt breaker on the right side of the 12 volt distribution panel that provides power to the Generator and Jacks.
X2 Mine is on the upper outside corner of the electrical panel and is on the BACK side of it.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies! I see the spot on the distribution panel for the resets switch but can't seem to find the switch itself Any suggestions
Old 02-15-2016, 12:09 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpmann View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I see the spot on the distribution panel for the resets switch but can't seem to find the switch itself Any suggestions
You have to feel for the reset with your fingers because the breaker is on the back side of the board. If your jacks work the problem is not the breaker.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:39 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Yeah, the the jacks don't work... I can't get my fingers behind due to all the stiff wire harnesses and all. I see on the board where the breaker is but it's impossible to reach. It's frustrating!
Old 02-16-2016, 10:23 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes it's not the perfect installation. Don't know how your installation is, I can reach mine through the side. Bottom is pretty much block by all the wire bundles. I've never had to reset my breaker. I have had the front board off twice. Once to tighten the nuts on the house solenoid for the buss that attaches to the front board. When that happened lost all 12V to the house. Scound time recently to replace the interconnect/booster solenoid. I'm a big guy with large hands, not easy to get my hands back there.

Tags
generator, power