Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #1

Generator starts then quits 2001 Seaview

Help! We've replaced the starter switches inside and at the generator. Also replaced the prime pump. Generator is still hard to start. When we do get it started it will run for a minute and then stop. Fuel tank is full. It seems like the fuel line drains out and the generator starves for fuel. Any ideas? Thank you for any and all suggestions.
anniebanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Who makes the generator? Model number? Some will not run if they are low on oil.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

It's made by Generac, model 09592-3, serial #3222285. Sorry I missed that important tidbit. I'm a newbie here. I tried the links in another thread for the manuals but they take me to a dealer login page. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebanani View Post
....................It seems like the fuel line drains out and the generator starves for fuel. Any ideas? Thank you for any and all suggestions.
You've checked the fuel line for cracking that may be sucking air?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #5

I'll make sure that is checked. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:43 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generac Generator, Model 09592-3

When did the generator run last? If a long time ago, the fuel in the carburator and fuel lines may of jelled up.
Did you change the fuel filter and replace the fuel lines.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #7

Thank you for putting on your thinking cap for us. It was running fine this past Sept during a month long trip. Ran all night with AC. Then started having problems once home and we started it. Fuel tank is full. Line from generator to fuel tank was replaced, fuel filter replaced. Wondering if it could be a bad low oil sensor unit as some have mentioned. Have no idea where to find one of those for an older unit. It runs when started (difficult to start), then chokes and stops. We don't want to drain the fuel and drop the tank if that won't help. Doesn't seem like the line inside the tank would be bad but is there a sensor in the tank or something?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Just a shot in the dark. Where is the coolant level?? If it's close to the minimum this could be it. I went through a lot on my Generac 7500 and almost pulled it until I decided to bring the coolant level up closer to the max mark. Haven't had a problem since. Hope this is it, cheap fix.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Help! We've replaced the starter switches inside and at the generator. Also replaced the prime pump. Generator is still hard to start. When we do get it started it will run for a minute and then stop. Fuel tank is full. It seems like the fuel line drains out and the generator starves for fuel. Any ideas? Thank you for any and all suggestions.
We still haven't resolved the problem with the generator but I've managed to obtain pdf copies of Owner's Manual for Generec Model 9592-3 and 9593-3 (diagrams, parts list) and Installation Manual. If anyone needs them, just email me and I'll send copies. Also, Generec told me they sold their parts to AP Electric 847-516-8882, apelectric.com. If the website says out of stock, call them because they are able to obtain some of the parts. Thank you to all who have replied to my post so far. We are checking all of the suggestions.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Just a shot in the dark. Where is the coolant level?? If it's close to the minimum this could be it. I went through a lot on my Generac 7500 and almost pulled it until I decided to bring the coolant level up closer to the max mark. Haven't had a problem since. Hope this is it, cheap fix.
I was excited to read your post but checked and ours is air cooled; it's a 5500. Thank you for your reply!
PS: We have 2 Shi Tzus - Annie and Zoey. Love those girls (although they are known amongst the camping crowd as the "City Girls". Don't like the dirt but do like the adventure of traveling.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #11

Does it completely shut off abruptly, or does it die slower like it's running out of gas?
If it runs for a minute (until the choke cuts off) and then dies, it may be that the jets in your carb are varnished and not letting enough fuel through. When the choke cuts off, the mixture is too lean to keep it running.
If so, you might try running some Seafoam or Berryman's B12 through the carb and see if that clears it up.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It was running fine this past Sept during a month long trip. Ran all night with AC. Then started having problems once home and we started it. Fuel tank is full. Line from generator to fuel tank was replaced, fuel filter replaced. Wondering if it could be a bad low oil sensor unit as some have mentioned.
Your generator does not have a low level sensor. It does have a low oil pressure switch and high oil temperature sensor, both are mounted on the oil filter adapter. It sounds to me you have a choke problem and possibly a carburetor problem. Both will cause the hard starting, carburetor will keep it from running once started. How long did the generator sit without running after your September trip? I have a couple of service manuals for the engine and electrical for the generator. They are to large to upload here, I will send you a PM with my email. Send me an email and I'll send you the manuals.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:

I've also got the same RV with same generator with same problem. I have also replaced fuel filter & pump like you. I still think problem we're having is a cracked fuel line into fuel tank sucking air although you stated yours has been replaced. you can check-it-out like i did. get a short piece ( 2 foot)of fuel line, disconnect your original line into fuel tank from fuel filter attach one end of 2 foot line onto fuel filter & clap line with clap tightly so it cannot suck air.
prime 2 foot fuel line (a funnel works best) and put other end into a 5 gallon can of fresh fuel that you may have.
when i tested mine, it will run all day without stopping. this way you'll know that generator isn't the problem. I didn't have opportunity to look in problem any further before winter came & it's too cold & snowy to work on RV so far this year. it's getting to be a long winter here.
maybe someone can help both of us with a solution.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by two slides View Post
I've also got the same RV with same generator with same problem. I have also replaced fuel filter & pump like you. I still think problem we're having is a cracked fuel line into fuel tank sucking air although you stated yours has been replaced. you can check-it-out like i did. get a short piece ( 2 foot)of fuel line, disconnect your original line into fuel tank from fuel filter attach one end of 2 foot line onto fuel filter & clap line with clap tightly so it cannot suck air.
prime 2 foot fuel line (a funnel works best) and put other end into a 5 gallon can of fresh fuel that you may have.
when i tested mine, it will run all day without stopping. this way you'll know that generator isn't the problem. I didn't have opportunity to look in problem any further before winter came & it's too cold & snowy to work on RV so far this year. it's getting to be a long winter here.
maybe someone can help both of us with a solution.
We only replaced the fuel line partially. Thanks for the great idea for the test. We are certain the fuel line is cracked and now have to drop the tank to replace the complete line. The frame of the RV is too close to the fuel tank to be able to get up in there for replacement. We'll just replace everything from the fuel tank to the generator. Unfortunately, they will have to drain the fuel tank first so when you do yours, you might want to run your fuel level down to 1/2 so there isn't so much to drain out. I'll update my post with our results once the work is complete.

Tags
generator