RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:47 PM   #1

Get Drinking Water Freshener In An '03 Dolphin?

I have an 2003 Dolphin 6342 and can't figure out how to get drinking water freshener into the holding tank. My Winnebago had a gravity water fill hatch on the passenger side. I can't find anything like that on this RV.

I tried to get it in through the winterization inlet but couldn't figure that out either. The instructions next to the valves don't get the job done. It says to turn the left valve horizontal and the right one vertical then turn the pump on. OK, it wouldn't draw anything in from the container I had. Yes, I had a hose down in the container but the pump wouldn't run. The pump does work to run sinks or use the potty but not that inlet.

Anyone have the answer for this?

Thanks, Robert

rgand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Only way to get it in your tank is to follow these instructions I copied and pasted from the National RV owners forum on Yahoo Groups.
Turn on water pump.* Connect your water hose to inlet to pump and adjust the handel to same.* Adjust the other handle lever in between city water and tank fill, adjust this lever until you see the water being sucked in from the bucket. You can read the discussion yourself on the groups Web site. Under conversations scroll until you see "filling freash water tank Sea Breeze" Also a good group to join for National RV owners.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NationalRV/info

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Only way to get it in your tank is to follow these instructions I copied and pasted from the National RV owners forum on Yahoo Groups.
Turn on water pump.* Connect your water hose to inlet to pump and adjust the handel to same.* Adjust the other handle lever in between city water and tank fill, adjust this lever until you see the water being sucked in from the bucket. You can read the discussion yourself on the groups Web site. Under conversations scroll until you see "filling freash water tank Sea Breeze" Also a good group to join for National RV owners.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I appreciate your help on this.

Robert
Old 10-05-2015, 05:10 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How do you get city water in? Holding that hose opening above the level of your fresh water tank should make it work as a gravity feed. How much volume of freshener is required? More than a couple of ounces and you could use a longer hose and a step ladder. Reconnect the hose to city outlet and turn on the water and you should be good to go. Good Luck.
Volunteers USFWS. 8000 hrs each, 25 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:43 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I asked the same question a while back, best answer I got was to put the freshener in a hose with a funnel, then hook hose up to water supply and turn handle to tank fill, then turn on water supply/
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #6

Here is an easy solution. We have portable water filter that we use in line with the water hose.
1 remove the filter from one. Connect fresh water hose to water bib and then to empty filter container and add other length of hose from filter to the intake on the rig. Mix the amount of freshener into water, dump in the filter container, turn on fresh water. Not fancy and certainly easy. We use bleach to sanitize our tank twice a year
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #7

Two more solutions that sound workable. Thanks to both for the replies and the helpful information.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
Here is an easy solution. We have portable water filter that we use in line with the water hose.
1 remove the filter from one. Connect fresh water hose to water bib and then to empty filter container and add other length of hose from filter to the intake on the rig. Mix the amount of freshener into water, dump in the filter container, turn on fresh water. Not fancy and certainly easy. We use bleach to sanitize our tank twice a year
How much bleach do you put in each time?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a picture from my Owner's Guide. I'm not sure if it is really there but you may want to take a look. My 2008 DL34b (5342) has a access under the bed (just a piece of plywood) covering it, not sure what is under it though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	108841  
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went back and looked through my pictures and found this one.
This is under the bed at the rear, the different colored, square piece of wood is the access to the top of the tank. I think the electrical box is partially sitting on it so it will have to be loosened to remove the access cover.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3691.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	108846  
Old 10-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another picture of the water tank access and the plug. I had to cut the cover off because the bed frame was over part of the edge also looks like the hole needs to be enlarged to really have good access to the plug.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	43
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	108855  
Old 10-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	41
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	108856  
Old 10-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #13

Legryz, that's interesting. I know there's an electrical box under the bed like your photos show. I'll have to take a look another look and see if there's access to the tank there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post

Now this really worked. I went out there this morning with my gallon jug of bleach/water solution and stuck a hose into it from the 'inlet to pump' fitting. I went inside and turned on the pump then came out and put the right lever in 'fill from inlet', the far left one to 'water heater bypass' and started to rotate the center lever from 'city water' toward 'tank fill'. When the lever had moved maybe a half to three-quarters of an inch, the pump came on and sucked all the bleachy water in. I went back in and ran the faucets and potty until I smelled bleach. Total success.

I had wondered yesterday why there was no pump switch in the compartment and I see now that National does it with that lever. After it stands for a few more hours, I'll drain it and refill with fresh water.

Now if I ever need to put antifreeze in it, I'll know how to make it work.

Thanks to all who have helped with their replies. This group obviously has a lot of helpful people in it.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad it worked for you. The inlet port to pump is for adding anti-freeze to the lines, no need to switch the city water tank fill valve unless you put anti-freeze in the tank. I put anti-freeze in the fresh water tank in my 5th wheel once. That was a mistake took forever to get the smell and taste flushed out. I don't have to winterize my Dolphin. I do my 5th wheel it is in Northern AZ near the Grand Canyon

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, water