Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2010, 04:18 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
GPS for RV

Anyone have a Recomendation for a Really good GPS for RV's, right now I have been looking at the Garmin Truckers GPS 465T........ anyone have any suggestions....... right now I am using the Garmin 2720 which does the job, but wants to go it's own way at times....... I worry about low bridges and areas that RV's are not allowed.
Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 04:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
www.AITAonline.com

Low Clearence web site !
YankeeCliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:48 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the link YankeeCliper
Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the 465T and it does NOT do a great job at low bridges. My local NJ data is not current or not even available.

Low clearance website does not have many low RR bridges that are common in my part of NJ. About 10 years ago, NJ outlawed interstate trucks on Rt. 31 becuase they were using it as a short cut from I95 to I78. That law was cancelled about 5 years ago. The 465T still goes crazy whenever you get onto Rt. 31 and you are in 'truck mode' saying you are on a restricted roadway (this is a 4 lane divided highway).

I think it proved to me that NOTHING beats keeping your eyes open and reading every sign to look for low clearances ahead.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
GPS - Less than $90 for Excellent Unit

If you have a laptop and a good place to put it, an excellent GPS can be bought at WalMart for under $90. It is a small 2" X 2" X 1" "hockey puck" antenna and the rest is in your computer. Excellent maps and many things you can do with for routing, and stops along the way.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for that tip Blue Ribbon
Old 03-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Thanks RVThere, Guess the 465T is out of the question
Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCliper View Post
www.AITAonline.com

Low Clearence web site !
Just keep in mind that the list only includes most low clearances on major truck route roads. The list is not necessarily complete, and once you get off the major roads and onto the back roads (like when going to a campground) you're on your own.

Still, it's better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I think it proved to me that NOTHING beats keeping your eyes open and reading every sign to look for low clearances ahead.
And that's the absolute truth! I won't go anywhere without my GPS, but I don't let it think for me. No electronics, map, or web site is a substitute for good situational awareness.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
My coach came with an Alpine DVD based GPS ...whatever you get, MAKE SURE it is NOT DVD based and that you can download upgrades from the internet.

All that said ...with the Alpine in the MH and a portable Garmin in the toad, I have NEVER had any low clearance problems. We have traveled interstates highways, US highways, and some country roads all across the country. I have crossed a bridge or two I probably should not have...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camping World - Garman - Less than $90

Many many RV friendly features. Just got the new catalog today. Wow, what a bargain, if you can have your PC Set up.

Cat # 38165
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #11
JVJ

Our Pacifica came with the Garmin NAV system....However I have not been able to get it to work....or for that fact even turn on.
So I have been looking to replace my old Gamin that was about 5 years old since some Christmas Grinch broke into my truck back just before Christmas.
I have been looking at the wide selection of GPS offerings, reading reviews and cramping my brain with way to much information to make a simple decission.
Seems the high dollar units offer many features that may be nice to have, but do I need the ability to talk on my phone via my GPS? Do I need a GPS to tell me what lane I need to be in or reminded of the posted speed limit? I am pretty sure I don't need a GPS to look at my digital photos, or play music.
It would be nice to have a GPS that give good clearance height information, but from the reviews I have read, these units are not perfect nor complete in the height informaton area. So I am starting to think, go with a basic GPS system for directions, distance, and time from point A to point B. Back myself up with a great Atlas and a few state maps. Keep my eyes open, read the signs, approach with caution and stay keen as to my surroundings.
Now, what size screen do I need? More decissions....LOL!!
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Oh My JVJ, I think you hit it right on the button......all kinds of extras on them now...... I have a Garmin 2720....... I may just stick with it as well as keeping my eyes open for places I need not be at .............
Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 AM   #13
JVJ

Well, after posting my thoughts in writting, it looked as if I had made up my mind on the features I really wanted. Stick to and make use of the KISS principal one again, and "keep it simple, stupid" So while on a quick jont over to Costco I came across a Megellan 1475T GPS, no real bells and whistles. Nice large screen 4.7", easy to see, large enough that my fat fingers can use the on screen button keys one at a time. Plenty of advance notice for up coming turns, little bell dings when it is time to turn also. Vocals are nice and clear, plenty of volume control, and quick Sat. connections...seemed like my Garmin always took way too much time searching for a Sat. connection. Lifetime current traffic updates. On sale for $129.
Now the down side, when in the heck did GPS manufactures start selling advertising space on the screen of a Nav System. Every so often there will be a little advertisment mentioning either "Wells Fargo Bank, a great time to start a savings account" or Walgreens.
I guess the company who supplies the lifetime up date on current traffic needs to generate operating capitial somehow, and the advertisments are extreemly small banner type ads, but that just ain't right.
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote