Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2022, 07:54 PM   #1

Gray water leak

Let me make it clear - it is not the valve leaking. It is the tank.

I have a 34ft Sea View. The gray water tank is leaking probably near where the drain comes out of it. I know for sure it is because the water runs down the gray tank pipe dripping down off the pipe by the gray water valve. I am 100% certain it is coming from the gray water tank down the pipe - not the valve.

I have read others talk about the heat coming out right there that softens the tank. I think that might be the problem. Use to be it leaked only when the tank was full. Over time it is now down to where it holds no water. If possible I want to patch it so it won't leak and hold some water.

I have opened all the bays up to see the tank except the one in front of the rear passenger side. That is the bay that has the heater duct going into the basement.

Has anyone gotten into their tank through there? I assume once I remove the back of the bay I will find a barrier that keeps the heat in the basement area. How difficult is that barrier to remove?

Sorry if I sound frustrated but I am. I belong to the FB National owners group and the men there tell me it has to be the valve, not the tank leaking.

Please only answer if you have been into that area.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2022, 08:06 AM   #2

I have a gray water tank vent connection that seeps when the tank is full and has a bulge in the top from overfilling. I suppose in a matter of time and with enough expansion from hot water the drain outlet connection would eventually seep. The threads in these soft poly tanks will eventually lose their crush/grip on the harder abs fittings. So it goes.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:52 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
We have a TropiCal, not a Seaview, but construction might be similar. The drain pipe from the bathroom sink to the grey tank is PVC, and the tank shifted slightly, cracking the pipe right at a fitting. Simple fix, and really easy to get to via one of the "fixed" panels, which is hinged at the top just like the doors to the storage area. Un-do the screws under the edge of the RV and open the panel just like a storage door so you can inspect all of the connections to your grey tank.

If you can't visually inspect everything, you might open the grey tank drain valve and run water through all of the fixtures that drain to grey one fixture at a time. If you detect a leak while the water is just running through the plumbing and out to your dump connection, you'll have a decent idea of where you need to focus. Of course it is just as likely that the tank needs to be holding water for it to leak, but in my instance running water through the plumbing would have helped me find the leak.

PS - I found drawings online for electrical, propane, plumbing, etc for our TropiCal. It was all so long ago that I don't remember where I found them, but perhaps you can find drawings for your Seaview that would help you understand where the various drains connect.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #4

Thank you for the reply. I do have the schematics for our RV although slightly different.
I have opened up the opening in our bedroom that shows the tank and tub drain - tight no leak. I opened up all the other bays looking at the tank except the bay where the pipe empties the gray tank. What i am trying to find out is when I take the back of that bay right in front of the rear tires, that is where I will find the front of the tank but it will be behind another wall. I assume there will be one that will keep the heat in that area. I am trying to find out how detailed it is to remove that wall/barrier so I can see the front of the tank. Evidently no one knows - or they fail to understand my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
We have a TropiCal, not a Seaview, but construction might be similar. The drain pipe from the bathroom sink to the grey tank is PVC, and the tank shifted slightly, cracking the pipe right at a fitting. Simple fix, and really easy to get to via one of the "fixed" panels, which is hinged at the top just like the doors to the storage area. Un-do the screws under the edge of the RV and open the panel just like a storage door so you can inspect all of the connections to your grey tank.

If you can't visually inspect everything, you might open the grey tank drain valve and run water through all of the fixtures that drain to grey one fixture at a time. If you detect a leak while the water is just running through the plumbing and out to your dump connection, you'll have a decent idea of where you need to focus. Of course it is just as likely that the tank needs to be holding water for it to leak, but in my instance running water through the plumbing would have helped me find the leak.

PS - I found drawings online for electrical, propane, plumbing, etc for our TropiCal. It was all so long ago that I don't remember where I found them, but perhaps you can find drawings for your Seaview that would help you understand where the various drains connect.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:38 PM   #5

Many in other threads talked about the tank being a flexible one that closes as the water drains/expands as it fills. Mine is solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
I have a gray water tank vent connection that seeps when the tank is full and has a bulge in the top from overfilling. I suppose in a matter of time and with enough expansion from hot water the drain outlet connection would eventually seep. The threads in these soft poly tanks will eventually lose their crush/grip on the harder abs fittings. So it goes.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:29 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm thinking there is a difference in what you call solid and what other people call flexible.

My tanks are thick-walled off-white plastic, similar to polypropylene. Tap on the tank anywhere and it feels quite solid. Fill it with water and the walls and top definitely flex.

I got confused trying to follow your description of what you can access and what you cannot. The inner "wall" at the drain valves is just a cosmetic panel on our TropiCal and comes off with a handful of small screws. Depending on accessories, you might also have to remove the outside shower, soap dispenser, etc. If your Seabreeze is similar, that should give you a good look at how the drain pipe attaches to the tank, and quite possibly a limited view of the front wall of the tank.

Twenty bucks will buy a USB "inspection camera" for use with a smartphone. If there are gaps in any of these walls that you have not yet removed, or are unable to remove, you might be able to snake the flexible inspection camera stalk through the gap and look around.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:00 PM   #7

I did buy a camera but could not tell. I will have to try again - maybe it was not on the brightest.

When I open my water bay door I can remove one side of the panel which is where the water pump would be (it froze a few years ago and have not replaced just capped off the hose). I can see the fresh water tank and the grey in the middle. I can not see any pipes coming out of it - that is around the corner to the left.

It was suggested there may be a 'trap' door under the MH. I just scooted under and there is none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
I'm thinking there is a difference in what you call solid and what other people call flexible.

My tanks are thick-walled off-white plastic, similar to polypropylene. Tap on the tank anywhere and it feels quite solid. Fill it with water and the walls and top definitely flex.

I got confused trying to follow your description of what you can access and what you cannot. The inner "wall" at the drain valves is just a cosmetic panel on our TropiCal and comes off with a handful of small screws. Depending on accessories, you might also have to remove the outside shower, soap dispenser, etc. If your Seabreeze is similar, that should give you a good look at how the drain pipe attaches to the tank, and quite possibly a limited view of the front wall of the tank.

Twenty bucks will buy a USB "inspection camera" for use with a smartphone. If there are gaps in any of these walls that you have not yet removed, or are unable to remove, you might be able to snake the flexible inspection camera stalk through the gap and look around.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
The tank fittings are usually spin welded and use a hubless rubber coupler to the different hookups. I can't see any coach builder thinking a threaded fitting will hold long term.

Tags
leak, water, water leak